FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS TONIGHT!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ratings were not good, I just want my job to continue, so who knows.

Seriously? :no It's amazing to me that the American public is keeping Deal or No Deal on the air, yet the gazillion fantastic reviews for this didn't do the trick.

As reality shows go, I can't say I was impressed by Friday Night Lights, as it seemed to have narrative, realistic dialogue, creativity, cinematography and reputable acting.

wait a minute...

I think the recapper on Television Without Pity did a better job of describing my reaction to this show than I could (major spoilers below, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet):

Wow. And it's not like we haven't seen this story before. It wasn't intricately plotted or all that inventively written. But it was organic, it earned its emotion, it stunned the eyes and rang the ears.

When we finally get to the big game about 2/3 through the episode, it isn't much of a surprise that these put-upon kids start choking in the second half, and it isn't really a surprise, exactly, that someone gets seriously injured during this season opener. But it is visceral, the moment when an entire town loses hope as Street is rushed off the field on a backboard in an ambulance. Sometimes people come together and focus their energy so forcefully on one thing that they destroy it. By the time Coach Taylor makes it to the hospital (after Saracen steps in and leads the shaken Panthers to a win) and slips his hand into Street's (still anesthetized after spinal surgery), I'm hooked.

I can't say I was surprised when the quarterback got injured, but I haven't held my breath that long for a fictional event in a long time.

:thumbup

I enjoyed the fact that the filming/cinematography (someone better versed in film-speak will have to help me out here) wasn't the same old cliched bs you see in every other tale about football, etc., and they didn't over-do the typical southern cliches, including accents...

• 1 year later...
i really wish that one dude and that one chick didn't do that one thing. sort of bummed me out cause that dude always cracked me up and now he's gonna be different.

Yeah, I kind of agree. But you have to admit, the guy had to do something; he simply reacted in a moment of passion.

You're right though, this changes everything; just as it would in real life.

b.s.

now that this show is actually on Friday Nights, i can probably watch it. I did catch the last 15 minutes of the show and feel i need to see the whole thing. Does anyone know if they'll run it again the way they did last year or do i have to get it offa iTunes?

Guest tandylacker
now that this show is actually on Friday Nights, i can probably watch it. I did catch the last 15 minutes of the show and feel i need to see the whole thing. Does anyone know if they'll run it again the way they did last year or do i have to get it offa iTunes?

Get it off TVTorrents.com.

i really wish that one dude and that one chick didn't do that one thing. sort of bummed me out cause that dude always cracked me up and now he's gonna be different.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this development... it takes the show into more melodramatic territory, and that could be disappointing. Hopefully the writers will approach it in credible and emotionally honest ways.

Does anyone know if they'll run it again the way they did last year or do i have to get it offa iTunes?

Last season NBC put all of the FNL shows on its website for free. I haven't checked this season, but if you want to catch up, I'd start there.