Foley IM's were just a prank gone awry

20 members have voted

1. 1. What does this mean

• Rove spin machine counterattacks
    • right wing college kids realizes he's just been outed as gay
    • BigBreast4300

No, I think it's more like the kid is trying to avoid being labeled "gay," and that they tricked Foley into thinking that he was gay, thus leading to the messages.

It's an awesome prank, though:

Ruin your boss' political career by getting him to say things that portray him as a homosexual, teen-loving pervert.

Ha ha! Gotcha!

Without pundits and media conglomerates to tell me how I should vote I was lost.

Luckily, BigBreast4300 had name recognition going for her so I was able to partake in this poll.

My editor on our HS yearbook had the last name of Mullins, but we would call her Melons instead. because she had big breasts. and they sounded almost the same.

i think my fever has gotten worse. one more conf call, then i'm out of here.

You have 2 young boys at home right? From my experience,you may want to just stay put.My kids (when they were young) seemed to sense when I felt bad & I tell ya,they'd misbehave like crazy.

Don't misunderstand...I'm not sayin' the boys are heathens or anything...but mine were!

Get well soon El!

You have 2 young boys at home right? From my experience,you may want to just stay put.My kids (when they were young) seemed to sense when I felt bad & I tell ya,they'd misbehave like crazy.

Don't misunderstand...I'm not sayin' the boys are heathens or anything...but mine were!

Get well soon El!

They're only 7 mos. and as long as I sing the ABC song/Old McDonald, play the let's shout unintelligble sounds until we giggle game and stay within line of sight...they don't seem to have a care in the world. Thanks though.

Being sick sucks, being sick and unable to smooch/hug/etc. your kids sucks really bad.

They're only 7 mos. and as long as I sing the ABC song/Old McDonald, play the let's shout unintelligble sounds until we giggle game and stay within line of sight...they don't seem to have a care in the world. Thanks though.

You sing Jackson 5 songs to your kids? :unsure

I'm curious about all the shouts I've been hearing for Hastert to resign over the Foley matter. Taking Republican vs. Democrat out of the equation for a second (please just give it a try), I'm just curious as to why the Speaker, in particular, is necessarily responsible for a rep's behavior.

Now, granted, if the Speaker is helping to conceal a crime, or a matter of national security, etc., that's one thing. But why should a Speaker step down just because he or she may have had knowledge about a member of his/her party engaging in unethical conduct? Does the Speaker have any authority to make any representative do anything (e.g. resign)?

any constitutional or parliamentary procedure experts out there care to chime in?

I'm curious about all the shouts I've been hearing for Hastert to resign over the Foley matter. Taking Republican vs. Democrat out of the equation for a second (please just give it a try), I'm just curious as to why the Speaker, in particular, is necessarily responsible for a rep's behavior.

Now, granted, if the Speaker is helping to conceal a crime, or a matter of national security, etc., that's one thing. But why should a Speaker step down just because he or she may have had knowledge about a member of his/her party engaging in unethical conduct? Does the Speaker have any authority to make any representative do anything (e.g. resign)?

any constitutional or parliamentary procedure experts out there care to chime in?

Im not an expert on anything, but I would say if the Speaker knew about it a potentially criminal (not

to mention ungodly) act, he had at least an ethical responsibility to address it -- even just to tell Foley to cease and desist.

Im not an expert on anything, but I would say if the Speaker knew about it a potentially criminal (not

to mention ungodly) act, he had at least an ethical responsibility to address it -- even just to tell Foley to cease and desist.

but it wasn't a crime if the kid was 18. it was just smarmy and unsavory...

There appear to be many kids, not one.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/1..._more_form.html

Hastert is not responsible for all of the behavior of his fellow representatives and party members. However, if he was informed that something untoward was going on (it's not clear exactly what he knew, only that he knew something. The former chief of staff for Rep. Reynolds says he told Hastert's chief of staff about Foley's conduct years ago, but Hastert's aide denies it), then it's his ethical responsibility to deal with it as the leader of his party's representatives. He does not have the executive/procedural power to personally dole out punishments, but he certainly has the political power to make sure that it stops--either through personal intervention with Foley, legal intervention, or through starting the process for a formal censure.

As it is, it seems that he handed it off to someone and did little to follow it up. He said himself that "the buck stops here."

but it wasn't a crime if the kid was 18. it was just smarmy and unsavory...

I thought there was smarmy and unsavory contact when the kid was 16 :hmm

I thought there was smarmy and unsavory contact when the kid was 16 :hmm

Federal law says solicitation over the internet is illegal when the kid is under 18, regardless of whatever the state's age of consent is.

Federal law says solicitation over the internet is illegal when the kid is under 18, regardless of whatever the state's age of consent is.

what a stunning violation of our constitutional right of free speech. :ermm

:P