Gillian, David, Sean, Sara, Jon, Greg

... a.k.a. WWWRBTL.org (since they couldn't get .com, according to Jon and David), and Benmont Tench was in there too

Sheesh, my head spins just thinking about it, but a few tidbits that will hopefully translate to the reading audience:

* David Rawlings = a puckish genius

* One of my favorite '80s-era duets (and I freaking love '80s-era duets) played out in front of me, with Benmont Tench on the piano

* Any note from Benmont Tench or Greg Leisz in general

* If "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" had been staged as a relay race, both Sean and David did the equivalent of dropping the baton when they couldn't remember the lyrics correctly, but fortunately, Jon and Gillian served as solid anchors for the team

* Gillian playing drums

* "Hots damn, I love me that song." -- Jon Brion, on "Look at Miss Ohio"

--You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go [sean]

--Early Mornin' Rain [sara]

--I Hear Them All [David]

--One More Dollar [Gillian]

--Different Drum [sara]

--Look at Miss Ohio [Gillian]

--Any Old Time [sara]

--Moonshiner [sean]

--Wicked Messenger [David and Gillian]

--Throw Me a Rope [Gillian and David]

--Positively 4th Street [Jon]

--Write Myself a Letter [sean]

--Country Girl [David]

--Don't Worry Baby [David Garza]

--Keys to the Kingdom [Gillian]

--Short People [sara]

--Tennessee Waltz [sara]

--Bury Me Beneath the Willow [sean]

--Girls Just Wanna Have Fun [David]

--Time After Time [David]

--All Through the Night [Jon]

--White Rabbit [Gillian]

--My Morphine [Gillian]

--Stop Dragging My Heart Around [Gillian and David]

--Luminous Rose [David]

--Don't Think Twice It's Alright [sean, David, Jon, and Gillian]

--Queen Jane Approximately [David]

--My Baby Left Me [Jon]

--Baby You're a Rich Man [David]

A couple of other VCers were in attendance. They'd better speak up!

Loved the blog entry ... Uyen I am so happy you and Evonne got to see David Rawlings in person at Largo with your hero, Jon. :D One more Largo show I wished I had witnessed. :hmm

And Benmont again? :dancing

And seeing David and Gillian with EC last week, too? Damn woman! You have seen some greatness! :worship

Thanks for the fantastic reviews.

i am still all a-flutter from this show!

another jb quote in re: gillian: "how about our fucking drummer!"

benmont after "stop draggin' my heart around": he turned on the piano bench, slowly nodded his approval then pronounced that it was, "pretty damn good." :lol

add to all this the dizziness experienced by the NEW MENU (!) items and pints of Bass, it made for one heady evening.

great to see gillian and david so loose and informal, too.

my one disappointment: no banjo. alas.

I too was at the show and I must say it was by far one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Certainly the longest single set I've seen as well, clocking in at 3:15 (no counting George Clinton shows - they all take breaks!). What set this performance above so many I've seen (besides the SPECTACULAR setlist) is that they exuded from the stage such a sincere happiness to be playing together - it was clear in their mannerisms as well as in the music that this was something truly special for them as well. One said early in the show that they'd had a setlist but weren't going to pay any attention to it. The ensuing conferences to figure out what song to play, coupled with occasional mistakes, added a palpable excitement and sense of risk to the show that really made it feel like more of a group of people playing for their own enjoyment than performing for an audience. In contrast to a Jon Brion Show where the audience is consulted regularly and asked to sing along at times, this show felt much more like it was about the performers.

Before the show I knew nothing of any of the artists' music besides Brion's and now I am very excited to get into their stuff. This was truly a remarkable night and I'm greatly looking forward to the next two weeks' Jon Brion shows - going to which will force me to wake up early to drive Saturday morning to San Fran and Vegas for Bridge School and Vegoose, respectively, but these are sacrafices I have no choice but to make. I look forward to seeing any of you there.

Zach

P.S. How ABOUT those new menu items? I wasn't even going to open the menu and order the usual but as my friends' mouths dropped I spied the Chicken Piccata, which was actually fairly good.

heidi, i'm afraid your stand by checca was given the chop.

however, there are some crazy new items in the appetizers list, including something warm with goat cheese...i don't remember the details.

heidi, i'm afraid your stand by checca was given the chop.

Yes, they broke it to me gently, and even so, I'm sure the wailing could be heard for miles.

I'll look forward to trying out the new stuff, but I'm not sure I'll be able to recognize Largo if it starts becoming a fine dining experience.

So VERY not likely...

:lol

not to worry: they also added potato skins to the menu. (what 's the irish equivalent to the blooming onion?)

megusta: i've seen watkins family hour once. it was a terrific time! there is no structure to the evening. much like the above described show, there is a lot of discussion regarding which songs to play. benmont played with them the night i saw them, and another local fiddle player. the set list consisted on many old timey and rootsy numbers. a friend of sean's came up and sang a number with them as well.

really fun to see them play to a small room. the only time i've seen nickel creek, it was a fairly large venue.

one more note on the WWWBRT show: as they all took the stage sara requested a guiness from the bar. there was a round of "ooooh!" from the others on stage and she responded, "well, a small one." :beer