This Is New or Panthers?

If there was to be an open spot on the next album for either of these tracks, which one would you like to see get re-worked for an album release? I know Panthers is has already been mastered in studio for a release and This Is New is a fundamentals track, but lets assume both songs would get re-done with the current lineup.

I would have to go with This Is New, such a beautiful song. So simple, yet so complex at the same time, if that makes any sense. Typical Wilco I suppose. :music

Thoughts?

I would have to go with This Is New, such a beautiful song. So simple, yet so complex at the same time, if that makes any sense. Typical Wilco I suppose. :music

Thoughts?

me too. dont know what it is with Panthers, but as much as i try, i cant seem to like it, anytime time i listen to it

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I for one, think there is good reason that neither of these songs has been issued on an album proper. See also the 4th disc of Springsteen's "Tracks" box set.

I like the studio version much better than the acoustic version I had heard before that.

:yucky :monkey

I just don't see how it's possible for someone to enjoy the lifeless studio version when they've heard the one live rendition. It's like: this is your brain; this is your brain on gorilla tranquilizers.

If they're going to do a Handshake Drugs treatment on a song for the new record then going by that model (where the song changed almost not at all) then I'd choose This Is New though it's by no means the best song that they have sitting on a demo reel. Won't Let You Down FTW. I'm kind of scared what sort of over-the-top piano they'd add to that one though, maybe it's just as well it'll probably never happen.

I just don't see how it's possible for someone to enjoy the lifeless studio version when they've heard the one live rendition. It's like: this is your brain; this is your brain on gorilla tranquilizers.

i enjoy the lifeless studio version, the only thing that didn't translate is that Jeff seems to whack away at the guitar during the solo ending, while the studio version washes away. kindof somber, yes, but also breathtaking. besides, the whole guitar into oblivion thing happens during Handshake drugs, we don't want them repeating themselves, do we?

oh well, there's my defense for a song i rarely listen to, at least it's got me listening to it again.

are we talking the songs just as they are now or if they were to re-do them for the album? It'd be sweet have em re-do both tracks for it to make it sync more nicely w/ the rest of the tracks.

yea, lets assume the tracks would get 're-worked' to fit with the sound of the new album, whatever that 'sound' may be.

I just checked my iPod to see what the original version I had was--it was an early solo-acoustic version, I think--I seem to have deleted it. To me, I always thought that version was rather lifeless. But I also know I'm in the minority on that. I can see not liking the studio version--its pretty subdued and atmospheric, but I dig it. Whatever.