So Much Wine (Butterfly)

At the Rocky Mountain Folk Fesitval in August Jeff played a beautiful song entitled "So Much Wine (Butterfly)." After playing the song, he said it was one of the best songs ever written, and I'd have to agree. However, I know nothing else about this song and would love to know who originally wrote and/or recorded it. Does anyone know anything about this song?

I have noticed that you are one knowledgeable dude. Did you already know that or did you google it? It seems like rather obscure information.

Believe it or not, the Handsome Family aren't that obscure. I'm sure a handful of people here have actually seen them open for Jeff Tweedy.

I have noticed that you are one knowledgeable dude. Did you already know that or did you google it? It seems like rather obscure information.

we happen to have quite a few Handsome Family cds, no need for google.

here's some more obscure Handsome Family info for you, Rennie Sparks wrote "All the Same to Me"

In The Air is certainly an album I'd recommend people to hear if they want to hear more of The Handsome Family, and, believe it or not, So Much Wine isn't the best song (well not for me anyway), that accolade goes to The Sad Milkman. Also, Twilight is another great album of theirs - a lot sparser in sound, but the songs are equally good. I haven't heard their latest one - Last Days of Wonder - but no doubt it's of comparable form.

the Handsome Family (formerly of Chicago, now of New Mexico) performed at a show Jeff currated this summer at the Vic. All of their CDs are good that I have heard, but In the Air is particularly good. They put out these wonderful DIY albums. Sally Timms covers The Sad Milkman on one of her albums.

The Handsome family is a group I would love to see Jeff collaborate with on some songs some day when he has time. I think they would be a perfect match.

LouieB

Believe it or not, the Handsome Family aren't that obscure. I'm sure a handful of people here have actually seen them open for Jeff Tweedy.
I never saw them open for Jeff, but they are most certainly worth seeing. The first time I saw them they opened for the Waco Brothers, but they have gotten far better in the last 10 or so years.

LouieB

Anyone have an mp3 they can share? I'd like to get an idea of what they sound like...

Thanks

Here's a few tracks for you: handsome family sampler

1 The Sad Milkman

2 No One Fell Asleep Alone

3 All The TV's In Town

4 Up Falling Rock Hill

5 Peace In The Valley Once Again

Sorry they are only from two of their albums (In The Air & Twilight - they are probably the best two albums anyway though), but that's all I have on my computer at the moment.

Thanks for sharing that link and the sampler BTW. :)

Here's the Epitonic site I tracked down after seeing Jeff perform this in Lyons that has various free downloads from each Handsome Family album (including So Much Wine) if you are interested. (I was also anxious to learn more about the Handsome Family after hearing this beautiful song). :yes

Just click here and look down the right of the page for the downloads.