Old School Freight Train

Guest tandylacker

Guest tandylacker

Didn't want too much attention on that one. Especially with the wilcohq guy lurking around this message board for people's complaints about the DVD site problems....

Also, when is someone going to post all the songs from the sunken treasure DVD... ? Any torrents up yet anywhere... ?

No one is going to post that here. If you bought the DVD you get the songs. If not, you don't. Wilco is too nice about bootlegs and streaming shows (AND feature length movies) for the fans to take advantage of that by trading stuff that is for sale and easy to get.

I didn't buy the DVD, and i don't have the mp3s, and i hope you agree that's fair.

Guest tandylacker

Its fair to the point that everyone on here has downloaded music "illegally"... Don't get all high and mighty.

But don't worry, I will find them somewhere... Sooner or later...

OLD SCHOOL FREIGHT TRAIN...PICKIN' ON WILCO

Honestly, it is one of the best cover albums I own or could even imagine. It blew my mind the first time I heard it and it still does (which is why I listen to it OFTEN). Those guys are amazing and very talented. They manage to stay true to Tweedy and Co.'s musical genius while giving every song a unique touch of their own...it's so good I'm surprised they didn't collaborate...or did they?

You'll have to hear it to believe it.

*** This message is meant for ANYONE who hasn't heard Pickin' On Wilco. I suggest you go and BUY it somewhere! It's so good!

But, I would also like to take a second and say thanks to Wilco and other artists that are gracious enough to let us trade our own recordings of their live shows without penalty, or to bands like Wilco that give endless access to free music via the internet. In return the LEAST we can do is pay for their official releases. Tandylacker - If you're going to take part in forms of downloading that directly insults the artists this site is dedicated to, not to mention implicates you for illegal behavior, I strongly recommend you find a different crowd to hang out with. Your first question was a GREAT one but your second inquiry is NOT in the spirit of this website.

muzac

Oh, c'mon, no way...you probably listened to one track, or a part of one track?

"After forty years of recording acoustic music, it's not very often that a new band catches (and keeps) my attention. Old School Freight Train has done that and more. Their finely crafted tunes and innovative arrangements bring creativity, taste and wit to a broad spectrum of contemporary styles - vocal and instrumental, all firmly rooted in many traditions. They are certainly an emerging force to reckon with in today's wide world of acoustic music."

- David Grisman

For those of you who don't know...David "Dawg" Grisman collaborated regularly with Jerry Garcia and is considered to be the father of bluegrass music. Sorry, Skian, if bluegrass music isn't as POPULAR as rock but these guys are good and deserve more respect than that - Pickin' On Wilco isn't their only good work.

Pickin' On Wilco is timeless and really captures the essence of the songs included on it. I wish they recorded more Wilco songs that way.

"After forty years of recording acoustic music, it's not very often that a new band catches (and keeps) my attention. Old School Freight Train has done that and more. Their finely crafted tunes and innovative arrangements bring creativity, taste and wit to a broad spectrum of contemporary styles - vocal and instrumental, all firmly rooted in many traditions. They are certainly an emerging force to reckon with in today's wide world of acoustic music."

- David Grisman

For those of you who don't know...David "Dawg" Grisman collaborated regularly with Jerry Garcia and is considered to be the father of bluegrass music. Sorry, Skian, if bluegrass music isn't as POPULAR as rock but these guys are good and deserve more respect than that - Pickin' On Wilco isn't their only good work.

Anyone on this board who does not know Grisman's music should check it out. For years he shunned any commercial spotlight, never even selling his albums in music stores. A lot of that changed when he and Jerry started formally making music together in the early 90's. He has a great website called acoustic discs. He is not the father of bluegrass music nor would he want to be considered that. Bill Monroe, one of his heroes and the man his first born son is named after would be much more the father of bluegrass, but David has been called the best Mandolin player in the world and the inventor of "Dawg" Music which is somewhere between bluegrass and alt country

For those of you who don't know...David "Dawg" Grisman collaborated regularly with Jerry Garcia and is considered to be the father of bluegrass music.
Uh...wasn't that Bill Monroe? Grisman did sort of invent "Dawg music" which is 30's style swing music on bluegrass instuments. Grisman has hardly eschewed commercial recording. He has had a very successful recording career.

LouieB

Oh, c'mon, no way...you probably listened to one track, or a part of one track?

Dude, how did I know you'd accuse that guy of not listening to it enough, or not listening properly, or whatever.

Personally I like it. It's cool if others don't.

Its fair to the point that everyone on here has downloaded music "illegally"... Don't get all high and mighty.

But don't worry, I will find them somewhere... Sooner or later...

The point is, if you want to find it somewhere, do it. Don't talk about it here. Don't act like you're entitled.

The point is, if you want to find it somewhere, do it. Don't talk about it here. Don't act like you're entitled.

I vote for caliber!

I preferred the caliber 42 but 66 is good too.

Uh...wasn't that Bill Monroe? Grisman did sort of invent "Dawg music" which is 30's style swing music on bluegrass instuments. Grisman has hardly eschewed commercial recording. He has had a very successful recording career.

LouieB

More like - made a career out of putting out cds of him and Jerry jamming.