exposing the masses to "Spiders"

So, yesterday I called the campus radio station and requested some Wilco. The girl who was DJ-ing read off a list of songs, and "Spiders" was among them...

me: "is the whole "Spiders" or a radio edit"

DJ: "it's the live version"

me: (thinking "omg!") "sure, play that one"

DJ: "no problem"

5 mins later "Spiders" was played to the entire campus via the huge apmlitheatre speakers.

:rock

Have you guys ever heard the entirety of "Spiders" is a public place? It's awesome!

Just didn't know the WAWL was rocking like that anymore.

Just out of curiosity, are you from Chatt? And where did you go to high school?

Yep, the Wawl is pretty much willing to play anything you call in and ask them to... except "Rock this Bitch" by Ben Folds...

but yeah, i'm from Chattanooga. Soddy to be specific, so not really "chattanooga", but close enough, i went to soddy high...

i called them again on fri. and got them to play it again! :rock

I'm not sure what's exciting about this, you called a radio station and requested a song and OMG they played it!

If your contention is that Spiders is some weird piece of music too far out for the masses you need to listen to more music.

Compared to what usually gets played on the radio it's Metal Machine Music, even though this was a college station. Anyway I still think it's pretty cool story.

--Mike

Compared to what usually gets played on the radio it's Metal Machine Music, even though this was a college station. Anyway I still think it's pretty cool story.

--Mike

The day I hear Metal Machine Music on the radio,I will be able to die a happy man. :stunned

The day I hear Metal Machine Music on the radio,I will be able to die a happy man. :stunned

If I ever get a radio show I will play that....(maybe not all four sides...)

Me too, I'd speculate it's still more listenable than Squeeze (the album the VU made without Lou Reed)

--Mike

I have never even heard that album. Is it still in print??....not that I care....

LouieB

I'm not sure what's exciting about this, you called a radio station and requested a song and OMG they played it!

If your contention is that Spiders is some weird piece of music too far out for the masses you need to listen to more music.

It's all about the moment,I get it!

I think Squeeze is out of print. Its better than people believe it is. Its an interesting to see the many ways Doug Yule attempts to write songs in the Loaded style. It is certainly way more listenable than Metal Machine Music or many other Lou Reed albums for that matter.

Did Doug Yule go in the RRHOF with the rest of the VU? He's on as many records as Cale and was vital to many peoples two favourite VU records.

Spiders became known as the "Clock is Ticking" song among a group of us working in Portland, OR during the 2004 elections.

We got the go-ahead to begin a paid canvass operation on a Monday and needed to go from no one to 50 bodies on the streets knocking on doors by the end of the week. Leaving the office around midnight to go poster the city with jobs flyers I popped AGIB into the van's CD player and the syncopated drumming and jangly guitar fit the mood perfectly: prowling the dark, wet streets of Portland, feeling the pressure to produce and cover a significant portion of the city with flyers before morning.

Nobody in the van had heard the song before but almost immediately one of my friends began chanting "Clock is Tick-ing Clock is Tick-ing Clock is Tick-ing Clock is Tick-ing" in time with the music and Spiders became our anthem for the rest of the campaign.

Hard to believe that in the summer of 04 Oregon was considered a swing state but it was (Gore only won by 6000 votes in 2000) and by Election Day we were putting out over 500 people on the streets of Portand per day. Oregon wound up going blue, Portland's turnout shattered old records and I still steer a portion of the credit to Wilco.