My Morning Jacket -Knoxville, TN

Sorry this is late, but it's my first time in front of a computer in many days.

So, I had the privilege of seeing My Morning Jacket again after a nearly four-year gap the other night in Knoxville and thought I'd share a few thoughts. When last I saw them, I thought that I had just seen one of the greatest live bands in many years. Being that it had been so long since that show, my expectations were pretty high. We sat about half way back in the orchestra section of the meticulously and gloriously restored Tennessee Theatre. The band took the stage at about 9 to a long-time favorite ("The Bear") from their debut album and then ran through as diverse a set list as you could ever hope for, playing at least three songs from each album with an obvious focus on the two most recent albums. From the start the energy and enthusiasm from the band seemed to be ratcheted up with each successive number. The crowd was more than lively as well, with everyone on their feet, dancing, screaming along nearly every lyric and damn if there were 1,500 people there, 1,450 of them were doing some serious drinking. I know that in certain situations this can make for a diasastrous show, but in this case it made for a loose, wild celebratrion that climaxed twice. Once with the "Wordless Chorus" through "Run Thru" stretch when the band was on total fire, and again with the endless monster riffing of show closer, "Mahgeetah." For those who complained or worried about Jim's voice on "OKONOKOS," it's back in full power now as he alternated between tender sing-alongs and full on rock god screaming from one song to the next. Oh yeah and the light show in itself was something special to behold, every note, every chorus, every scream was choreographed to a brilliant and obviously well thought out display. Honestly, it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen and I was still quite a distance from the stage, where I'm sure it was probably totally over the top. The most amazing thing is that I think this band, like Wilco, has the potential to go down as one of the all-time greats. As spectacular as this show was, and as their last three albums have been, I think things are only going to get better. If they're coming anywhere near you on their current tour, and you've yet to see MMJ live, do yourself a favor and go at any cost, you wont be dissapointed.

Setlist - Knoxville, TN 11/10/06

The Bear

Lowdown

Gideon

Off The Record

Wonderful Man

O is the one

Rollin Back

Wordless Chorus

Phone Went West

Lay Low

Don Dante

One Big Holliday

Dancefloors

Run Thru

They Ran

Encore-

Old. Sept Blues

Nashville To Kentucky

Golden

I Will Sing You Songs

Anytime

Mahgeetah

glad to hear the show was rollicking!!

i'm seeing them new year's eve in san francisco, and a week later in los angeles.

i agree that they are only going to get better. i first saw them at bonnaroo 2004, and it was AMAZING. without loading this post with superlatives, the show and the atmosphere combined to make a transformative show experience (that included lots of head shaking, dancing and a rain storm) :dancing :yay :o

Looks like I'll be going to the 2nd 9:30 Club show as well. Anyone else around here gonna be there?

"MMJ is an awesome band. If there was one (of their four) studio album you would recommend to try and turn people on to them, which one would it be?"

As with Wilco that's a difficult question to answer as the band has progressed by leaps and bounds with each successive record. Earlier on, they were much more stripped down, at times on the first album, "The Tennessee Fire," James almost seemed to be putting out a solo record, still some very sweet tunes. The second album, "At Dawn," isn't quite the "AM" to "Being There" leap, but it is much more expansive in style and scope and the songs start to take on more of an epic quality, very, very good all around and save for a couple of longer, slow tunes has a very good flow. In truth it's probably their most assessable to the broadest range of people. The third album. "It Still Moves," is full on guitar rock riffing at its finest. Soaring vocals over big crunchy guitars and some heavy drumming. Would be appealing to adults who were into metal and hard rock as a youth, but stopped liking it once they realized how cheesy most of it was, this is the real deal, and these songs are anthems live. "Z," the current album finds the band delving deeper and deeper into genres such as reggae and psychedelia that they've dabbled in in the past without abandoning the killer rock and pop numbers that they've become reknowned for. I think it's their top to bottom best, but somehow I think the average, non-obssessed music listener would digest "At Dawn," or "It Still Moves" easier. There's also tow rarities clooectiosn (Hint, hint Wilco) that the band have officially released once you complete the main collection. So yeah, in order go for #2, #3, #4, #1 and then the rarities. Enjoy, Greg

Made the trek up to Milwaukee for thier show on Tuesday night

I caught the Milwaukee show too, and took along a friend who previously had limited exposure to MMJ. At five separate points he turned to me and said, "Holy. Balls." It was indeed a great show.

Tonite in Chicago we got the freaking Chicago Symphony Orchestra and MMJ in tuxes for the encore. I'm sure everyone who went to a show tonite thought they were at the best show, but this could have been one of the best shows I have ever attended. What an amazing rock and roll band. I am not one to really keep up with setlists, and I'm really glad I didn't know they were playing such a great selection of oldies. I nearly lost it during Phone Went West and the Orchestra on At Dawn was transcendental. I hope to goodness someone taped this!

Tonite in Chicago we got the freaking Chicago Symphony Orchestra and MMJ in tuxes for the encore. I'm sure everyone who went to a show tonite thought they were at the best show, but this could have been one of the best shows I have ever attended. What an amazing rock and roll band. I am not one to really keep up with setlists, and I'm really glad I didn't know they were playing such a great selection of oldies. I nearly lost it during Phone Went West and the Orchestra on At Dawn was transcendental. I hope to goodness someone taped this!

Wow. So where is the selist and other comments on this show? I know some more people were there.

I was there....God bless GA, I was right up front. I didn't catch the setlist either, I was way too busy enjoying the show. I don't think I actually breathed until I was on my way out. :w00t

It was a completly different experience than going to see Wilco the next day...where I paid almost twice as much to get stuck up in the 2nd balcony.