Neil Finn - Crowded House news

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Neil Finn has reunited with Crowded House bandmate Nick Seymour for his next solo album, which he plans to release next year.

Finn told Billboard.com that bassist Seymour "has been with me the whole time" on the album, and that "working together again feels really good. It felt natural and right. We've been good company for each other." Finn says that Crowded House drummer Paul Hester's suicide in 2005 helped bring the two musicians together again.

"You do seek each other out," he says. "The day we heard what happened with Paul, we were about to play a show at Albert Hall, my brother (Tim) and I. We decided we had to continue. And I rang Nick; he was the one I wanted to have there. There's some kind of strong bond still, as you would expect, I suppose."

Finn says he's "just about done" with the album, which will be his first solo set of new material since "One Nil" in 2001 (he released the live "Seven Worlds Collide in 2002 and an album with his brother, "Everyone is Here," in 2004.) His wife and two sons appear on the set.

"It's a pretty emotional record, I think," says Finn, who recently moved to England full-time from his native New Zealand, where Tim still lives. "It's hard for me to evaluate, 'cause I'm so close to it now. But I think it's fairly simple, which I'm really happy about. There's a lot of heart in the record, which I'm happy about, too."

Finn plans to tour in support of the album and expects Seymour to be part of the band. The two will revisit their Crowded House past with the January 16 release of "Farewell to the World," separate CD and DVD packages chronicling the band's November 24, 1996 farewell concerts in Sydney.

Reuters/Billboard

Wendy, thanks for posting this. :) Looking forward to Neil's release next year; brother Tim has one coming out in the U.S. as well after the first of the year (although, it's already been released down under).

BTW, are you a Finn fan?

(Sorry, just don't know too many peeps like myself and hubby that are fans of Wilco and the Finns! Got a bit excited when I saw your post...) :w00t :blush :stunned

BTW, are you a Finn fan?

(Sorry, just don't know too many peeps like myself and hubby that are fans of Wilco and the Finns! Got a bit excited when I saw your post...) :w00t :blush :stunned

Absolutely, Clouds of Fluff! :D For as long back as the Split Enz ... and I mean when they were a "new" band on the scene back in the early 80's (Time & Tide!) I never miss a Finn show (Neil solo, Finn Bros, any combination) when they come to the Chicago/midwest area. In fact, if I could only take 5 artists and their related work to a desert island, "young Neil" in all his incarnations are definitely going with me. :music

... and you are not alone! I believe there are quite a few Wilco/Finn fans here at VC. :thumbup

And in the spirit of Total Disclosure (a'la Ms Yvon) -- The one and ONLY fan club I ever joined was the Finn Fan Club. It seemed like the right thing to do at the moment. Long ago I let my membership lapse, but I may have to reconsider with all this Finn activity coming up ... :shifty

... and you are not alone! I believe there are quite a few Wilco/Finn fans here at VC. :thumbup

Certainly not - I'm a huge fan and there's plenty more on here... Fingers crossed he'll tour the new material, would love to see him solo after catching the Finn Brothers live last year...

I received this email from the Crowded House/Neil Finn site yesterday...I haven't tried to access the material yet-I have to go dig out my CD's from under something-but I plan on doing it soon. Thought I'd share...Enjoy!

Hello everyone

On November 24th 1996 over 120,000 Crowded House fans from all over the world gathered outside Sydney Opera House for the band

Certainly not - I'm a huge fan and there's plenty more on here...

Yep, I'm very enthusiastically adding myself to the roll call.

For whatever reason, even though my membership is long-lapsed, I still carry around my Crowded House fan club card. :blush

I received this email from the Crowded House/Neil Finn site yesterday...I haven't tried to access the material yet-I have to go dig out my CD's from under something-but I plan on doing it soon. Thought I'd share...Enjoy!

Hello everyone

On November 24th 1996 over 120,000 Crowded House fans from all over the world gathered outside Sydney Opera House for the band

I passed up an opportunity to go to that final gig. I thought that no one would turn up an there'd just be a handful of people at the Opera House with no atmosphere whatsoever and that it would a bad way to see the guys go out.

Boy did I get it wrong!

I believe there are quite a few Wilco/Finn fans here at VC. :thumbup

:wave

I'm a huge Crowded House/Neil Finn fan (and also a fan of Tim, though to a somewhat lesser extent). I caught on to them a bit late in the game -- had a chance to go see them for free near Chicago in 1991 (Woodface tour) and didn't manage to get there. Instead I sat home listening to the live WXRT broadcast of the show (which I taped) and smacking myself on the forehead repeatedly for not being there.

I saw Neil in early '03(?) in Seattle at the Showbox, touring on One Nil (or One All, as it appeared in the U.S.). Not quite the same as a CH show, but still unforgettable.

If I had a time machine the first thing I would do is go back and see Crowded House live.

:yes

Well, maybe not the first concert I'd go back and see, but certainly in my top five.

Although seeing the Finn Brothers on their most recent tour was great, the second to the last Neil show I saw was one of my concert dreams. It was at the 930, he was very happy, the entire staff of both the australian and new zealand embassies were there (or so it sounded), and the show devolved into a great big fat glorious crowded house sing-along.

Crowded House show-wise, I don't think it's ever going to be better than that. Barring the time machine, of course.