The Police may reunite in 2007

If I can add to this...

I can recall reading a very old Peter Buck interview (when REM opened for the Police circa 1983 - Murmur & Synchronicity tour)...Buck mentions watching Andy Summers playing these super difficult...Robert Fripp-like chords where another guitar player (off stage) would play the root note and Summers would the rest of the chord.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can add to this...

I can recall reading a very old Peter Buck interview (when REM opened for the Police circa 1983 - Murmur & Synchronicity tour)...Buck mentions watching Andy Summers playing these super difficult...Robert Fripp-like chords where another guitar player (off stage) would play the root note and Summers would the rest of the chord.

:ohwell I've seen Fripp a number of times,and that guy can do impossible things with a guitar.Andy certainly ain't no slouch though.

Other bands that did this: Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Dio - mainly I am talking about keyboard players. It was thought that having a visible keyboard player would somehow tarnish the heavy image of said bands.

rwsy1a.jpg

especially when they looked like this.

rick played on the sabbath, bloody sabbath and sabotage lp's

Correct - in the later years, they always had a dude playing keyboards on stage.

KEYBOARDS

Rick Wakeman - 1973

Jezz Woodruffe - ??? thru 1977

Don Airey - 1978

Geoff Nicholls - 1979 thru ??, 2004

Adam Wakeman - June 2004 to present

• 3 weeks later...

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_di...t_id=1003537984

The Police will rehearse for their upcoming reunion tour at Lions Gate Studios in Vancouver, according to reports today (Jan. 25) by the city's classic rock radio station, CFMI. Details of the summer trek, the band's first in more than two decades, will be announced next month.

In addition, the Police are strongly rumored to be performing as part of the opening segment of the Grammy telecast on Feb. 11 from Los Angeles' Staples Center. At deadline, a Grammy spokesperson had no information on a possible appearance by the group.

Before the Police get busy, Sting has a three-week European tour on tap in support of his lute album, "Songs From the Labryinth." The outing, which finds the artist accompanied by lutenist Edin Karamazov, begins Feb. 18 in Paris and wraps March 12 in Stuttgart, Germany.

On Feb. 20, Deutsche Grammophon will release a CD/DVD companion piece to "Labryinth," dubbed "The Journey And The Labyrinth: The Music Of John Dowland." The project will include a DVD chronicling Sting's fascination with 16th century musician John Dowland and a concert at St. Luke's Church in London.

The audio from that show, which features the Police's "Message in a Bottle" and Robert Johnson's "Hell Hound," is represented on the CD.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Police will reunite to open the 49th Annual

Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on February 11, The Recording Academy said on Tuesday, fueling speculation that the hit 1980s band is planning a reunion tour.

The five-time Grammy-winning band, led by frontman Sting, with

Stewart Copeland and

Andy Summers, split up in 1984 and was last seen playing together in 2003 to commemorate their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The band, known for such hits as "Roxanne," "Message in a Bottle" and "Every Breath You Take," has never performed at the annual telecast for the music industry's most prestigious awards that are given by The Recording Academy.

"The Police join a stellar list of past Grammy Awards opening acts, which includes reunions and once-in-a-lifetime performances," said a statement from the academy.

Members of The Police have so far refused to confirm rumors that the band is planning to reunite in 2007 for dates in Britain and the United States, with this year marking the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne."

Last month the band's label A&M Records, which is owned by Universal Music, said in a statement that they would mark the year somehow.

"It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalog of songs. Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided," said the statement.

There are rumors floating around that The Police will be playing two shows at Fenway Park in late July (28/29th). Beats Dave Matthews Band, I guess

Your characteristic understatement. :D

That will happen. The paper with the scoop is the one I used to work for, and they get all their Fenway info straight from the top. A Fenway show makes the Police reunion more exciting for me, as I can bike down there and join the party on Lansdowne St, for free!

so what will they play at the Grammy's ?

I hope not Roxanne

I'm betting it'll be a medley deal combining a lot of the hits (Roxanne, Don't Stand So Close To Me, Message in a Bottle, etc.). With the limited time that'll be given to them they'll be asked to cover as much as possible in the allotted time. "Everybody's happy" with the tune selection in these cases.

Did the Police ever win a Grammy? If so, you can figure out what they're likely to play. If Synchronicity won, they'll play "Every Breath You Take". If Ghost in the Machine won, they'll play "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic".

Roxanne is a good guess since it's their 30th anniversary and that was the first thing they released that was successful.

I can think of a lot of songs I'd rather hear. But I can also think of a lot of songs I hope they don't do.

Did the Police ever win a Grammy? If so, you can figure out what they're likely to play. If Synchronicity won, they'll play "Every Breath You Take". If Ghost in the Machine won, they'll play "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic".

Roxanne is a good guess since it's their 30th anniversary and that was the first thing they released that was successful.

I can think of a lot of songs I'd rather hear. But I can also think of a lot of songs I hope they don't do.

They will play "Message in a Bottle" for sure. No doubt in my mind.