My Morning Jacket--Fillmore SF, 12.30.06

*FULL DISCLOSURE: this is a copy and paste of my post on the mmj forum. a fun fact missing from that post is that i was accompanied by our own ms. gogo :dancing **

let's start with the basics:

opener was elvis perkins playing with a a band whose name i've forgotten but was FANTASTIC. boy howdy, from the trombone-->harmonium-->drummer playing harmonica-->upright bass-->wandering bass drum-->great songwriting i dug these guys. nice!

mmj was led onto the stage by the bear, who was carrying the battery powered candlestick from the night before. quite the processional.

here is the setlist:

it beats 4 u

gideon

wonderful man

o is the one

masterplan

laylow

heartbreakin man

lowdown

golden

dondante

bear (here the bear came out again, swayed a little, then held a pose for the entire song)

wordless chorus (bubbles!)

off the record

twilight

one big holiday

encore:

nashville to kentucky

rolling back

steam

mahgeeta

anytime

oh man. somehow an inflated kangaroo, about 2.5 ft tall made it onto the stage at one point. i can't remember during which song...the band moved it around the stage, booted it around...comedy.

but.

WHAT A STUNNING SHOW!! i was down front tonight. danced and danced. tonight they just burned the place down. i wore a huge smile the entire show.

met up with chief crowe and his friends: we discussed costume options for tomorrow.

one bummer: i was standing right in front of jim's amp. after the first or second song he signaled the mixer to boost his monitor which then overpowered his vocals (briefly) and some of the other instruments. couldn't hear carl's sax until the guitar was just about out in dondante. it wasn't a big deal for most of the night, just a couple of songs.

at the end of the show i just wanted them to keep playing. made me very happy to have tix for tomorrow and next week in southern california. WOOT!

also: two tone was wearing some great shoes, and jim was sporting a suit: jacket, vest and tie. dapper!

I was too curious about the 12/31 New Year's Eve MMJ at the Fillmore extravaganza that I missed ... so I went and read your account of it over at the MMJ forum. Un-freakin-believable as well. :yay

Have you come back down off of cloud 9 yet? :stunned

*FULL DISCLOSURE: this is a copy and paste of my post on the mmj forum. a fun fact missing from that post is that i was accompanied by our own ms. gogo :dancing **

Good times! :dancing

I'll agree with all of ms yvon's sentiments, every minute of the show was a joy. I'd seen MMJ before, with M Ward at the Fillmore a few years ago, and opening for Wilco in Philadelphia, but this was the first time I'd fully appreciated them.

:rock :worship :dancing :monkey :thumbup

They're playing in Denver in about a week at a relatively small venue/club for two nights (a Fri./Sat., to boot) and I'm contemplating hitting one of them. I've listened to their stuff and am left kind of wishy-washy about it. It looks like the live stuff is definitely worth catching, though....

Elvis Perkins in Dearland -- my favorite find of '06. These guys are *incredible* live. Debut album out on XL in late Feb. if you aren't one of the lucky few who picked up a copy at shows or through Insound this year before they were signed. www.elvisperkins.net

let's start with the basics:

opener was elvis perkins playing with a a band whose name i've forgotten but was FANTASTIC. boy howdy, from the trombone-->harmonium-->drummer playing harmonica-->upright bass-->wandering bass drum-->great songwriting i dug these guys. nice!

Elvis Perkins in Dearland -- my favorite find of '06. These guys are *incredible* live. Debut album out on XL in late Feb. if you aren't one of the lucky few who picked up a copy at shows or through Insound this year before they were signed. www.elvisperkins.net

Nice, thanks! I'll have to look for that. Great songs, and so much fun to watch.

I was too curious about the 12/31 New Year's Eve MMJ at the Fillmore extravaganza that I missed ... so I went and read your account of it over at the MMJ forum. Un-freakin-believable as well. :yay

Have you come back down off of cloud 9 yet? :stunned

:lol no, i have not! in fact, i just saw them in portland last night (where i am now). "hello, my name is yvon and i can't get enough of the 'jacket." :monkey

wendy, i missed molly's call! i got the message on jan 1. AND she didn't leave her number b/c she'd assumed that i would have it in the call history, BUT my phone was turned off!! :frusty ARGH! thank you for giving her my number! i'm so sad that i couln't meet someone who has known you so long. i could've gotten some good "back in the day" stories. :lol

i'm seeing the show in denver on friday. i've never been a huge fan, but have heard so many great things about the live show that i have to check it out.

hey, bridget...i'm going to these shows. !!!! barring any snow storms that keep my plane from landing, maybe we can meet at the show! neat! :cheers

hey matty,

wax fang opened on new year's eve. they were fantastic! the mmj board has some pix of their set:

mmj nye w/wax fang

wax fang opened with the song from "the wall" that starts:

so you

thought you

might like to

go to the show...

can't remember the title...their set was varied stylistically. i dug them quite a bit.

not to be missed: they were in costume the entire night: women's cheerleading and ice skating costumes. yup! :lol and still they rocked the house. :banana

for the record the openers for the fillmore stand were:

friday 12.29: rogue wave

saturday 12.30: elvis perkins in dearland

sunday 12.31: wax fang

Was the other opener Waxfang? Seen them 3-4 times, they are incredible. Still kinda under the radar!

I saw Wax Fang open for MMJ in November, and I've been listening to a few mp3s ever since (including this morning). Really good stuff.

Cool, yeah thought that MMJ and waxfang got back together for the New Years eve show. I grew up with the guys in Waxfang, from Louisville along w/ MMJ of course. Caught them together at MMJ's annual thanksgiving eve show in Lousiville.... incredible. They just keep getting better!