kicking tv....

i hate to start another cliche' i love this recording thread, but here goes anyway....

big "alt-country" fan here, who listened to wilco alot in the late 90's but never bought any discs. i decided to dive into the wilco catalog recently (already had all of tupelo's stuff). i started w/ kicking tv and yhf. i was marginal on both in the beginning, so in one fatal swoop i got everything else knowing the alt-country sound was somewhat present.

after wearing them all out i seem to always comeback to kicking tv. i absolutely love those 2 discs.

i haven't noticed it getting much love around here. am i off base?

I love it a lot. I think it shows the huge change the band took when adding Cline and Sansone since a lot of their back catalog sounds different and better live. For instance, "A Shot In The Arm" sounds so much on KT then compared to some bootlegs I have from 1999.

I love it a lot. I think it shows the huge change the band took when adding Cline and Sansone since a lot of their back catalog sounds different and better live. For instance, "A Shot In The Arm" sounds so much on KT then compared to some bootlegs I have from 1999.

:hmm

i always thought the summerteeth tunes sounded best on that tour

however, misunderstood, mountain bed or airline to heavenseem to sound best on the most recent shows

:hmm

however, misunderstood, mountain bed or airline to heavenseem to sound best on the most recent shows

I think Misunderstood was at its best during the 99-2000 shows.

I think your right on the more upbeat musical and lyrical tunes. But on the darker side of Summerteeth (Via Chicago, A Shot In The Arm, How To Fight...), sound much better nowadays. Plus, I think Cline's coda solo on "In A Future Age" just cultivates the song into the atmosphere.

A solid recording of spiders if i do say so myself.

IATTBYH (stiratt's part is the best by far) is great as well as hummingbird.

Ruined (well not ruined but made a little bit worse) the one Wilco show I've been lucky enough to see. I want to say spring '06, all the shows they played around there were basically some sort of version of KTV, with a few other songs thrown in to keep it fresh, it was a great set.

Hell is Chrome live is nuts as well.

I've always loved live LPs. I've been collecting them since I was a kid. KT is excellently recorded, has great versions of many tunes (AAOF & Spiders>Poor Places, esp.). I must admit I was a tad disappointed when it came out by the lack of material that would span their career. Then again, most live albums by any Rock band captures what that band sounded like 'at that time'. In that respect, KT definitely is a great record. :music

There's plenty of time in the future (hopefully) for more live records, and especially archival releases for those who want that killer version of Passenger Side or whatever..

i've been spinning the hell out of this solidly since the wichita show where i finally broke down and just went ahead and bought the damn thing.

as much as i love it, though, i do have questions about overdubs. i mean, i wouldn't think they did... but you never know, you know? i've searched for interviews about the subject and found nothing. it just sounds so damn good... it makes me wonder. i'm sure there was discussion about this around here when the record came out, but i must've missed it.

anybody got any info on the technical stuffs?

i've been spinning the hell out of this solidly since the wichita show where i finally broke down and just went ahead and bought the damn thing.

as much as i love it, though, i do have questions about overdubs. i mean, i wouldn't think they did... but you never know, you know? i've searched for interviews about the subject and found nothing. it just sounds so damn good... it makes me wonder. i'm sure there was discussion about this around here when the record came out, but i must've missed it.

I would be extremely surprised if there were overdubs.

it's usually hard to find but still detectable, and as far as my ears go, never heard any overdubbing.

the only things were fades in and out.

and wilco would have more integrity than that. i'm sure of it