'The Search' In Stores March 6

Album Marks Farrar's and Son Volt's Most Diverse Record Yet

'The Search,' the intriguing new album from Son Volt, is set for release on March 6 on Transmit Sound/Legacy, and it's by far the band's most daring and diverse album yet. The follow-up to 2005's acclaimed 'Okemah and the Melody of Riot,' 'The Search' is a startlingly powerful and inspiring departure from the band's alt-country laden records, employing an exceptional variety of sounds, melodies, and arrangements.

"Instrumentally, the electric guitar was the focus of the last record 'Okemah', but for 'The Search' we wanted to try something new, " says songwriter Jay Farrar. "This time, we utilized different instrumentation to fit each song -- from guitar pedal loops to various keyboard sounds to horns."

The piano of 'Okemah's' gorgeous closing ballad "World Waits For You" returns here to open 'The Search' with the beautifully haunting processional "Slow Hearse." Laced with Eastern-style electric guitar and Farrar's signature vocals, the tune fades out to silence only to dive into 'The Picture,' a track that features an upbeat Memphis-style horn section combined with stirring lyrics that reflect on the current and future state of things, "when war is profit and profit is war."

There's the buzzing, Zeppelin-esque guitar of "Action"; the hypnotic, other-worldly riff of "Circadian Rhythm"; the vocal harmonizing of chanteuse Shannon McNally on "Highways and Cigarettes"; and the Big Brother commentary of title track "The Search," a solid rock song delivered as only Son Volt can.

'The Search' features Jay Farrar (vocal, guitar, piano), Dave Bryson (drums), Derry DeBorja (keyboards), Andrew Duplantis (bass, backing vocals) and Brad Rice (guitar).

Jay Farrar, who is currently wrapping up a run of dates with Anders Parker as part of their side-band Gob Iron in support of the duo's debut 'Death Songs For The Living,' will hit the road with Son Volt for a national tour in March.

'THE SEARCH' Track Listing:

1. Slow Hearse

2. The Picture

3. Action

4. Underground Dream

5. Circadian Rhythm

6. Beacon Soul

7. The Search

8. Adrenaline and Heresy

9. Satellite

10. Automatic Society

11. Methamphetamine

12. L Train

13. Highways and Cigarettes

14. Phosphate Skin

I would think most everyone here would be interested in hearing something new from Jay and Son Volt, no?

There's no argument that he is an extremely talented man, and this new offering with horns and keyboards -- I definitely want to hear this! But then, I like it when musicians change and grow.

Leak already!

:music

I've heard some of the new Autumn Defense album. It's sounds really good, I can't wait to hear the whole thing. It gets released on the day I move into my new apartment (on a random note).

But yeah, I heard a new Son Volt song in The Gap of all places.

Thanks for that. Not sure how I feel about that Son Volt song, but damn some of those other tunes are great. What is shorefire?

For this album supposedly being a switch for Jay, "The Search" sounds like a cast off from Okemah. It's alright, but seems like it'll have the same effect Okemah had on me: temporarily insanely happy listening to it with no repeated listenings after that first week.

Oh, geez. The "Farrar Whine" is on overdrive on that goddamned song. After the respite provided by Gob Iron, I was hoping maybe we'd seen the last of it...

There's a track from Ry Cooder's forthcoming record on that site, too, if anybody's interested. Way better than SV's offering.

Here's my post-"Straightaways" Jay impression: "Neeehr eeeeehn feeeehn! Heerrrrrn NEERRRRRN. Garrr." (It loses something in the transcription, I'm sure.)

P.S., I don't recall saying anything about anything being a fact. Unless you're mentally retarded, or perhaps a small child, you should probably be aware that everything I say is a matter of opinion.

me too

i agree w/ those saying he's reaching the upper end of his register on it, but not like Jeff doesn't do that often either (see Hummingbird live for one).

or on Theologians. I was noticing on the dvd the other day he was hitting pretty high notes.

I like the fact that Jay is doing something different. Way to go, Jay. Cookie for you.

I like the fact that Jay is doing something different. Way to go, Jay. Cookie for you.

I may actually have to check this out. I used to be a Farrar fanboy, but kinda lost interest over time. I last listened to him when "Terroir Blues" came out and that pretty much convinced me that I was officially bored and done with him. This one sounds promising, tho.

For the lapsed fan, I have only three statements to make: Gob Iron, Gob Iron, Gob Iron. It's on a par with March, I swear. Sometimes I wonder if it's the best thing Farrar's ever done, the whole of the UT canon included.

I really wish that record had gotten the promotion it deserved.

For the lapsed fan, I have only three statements to make: Gob Iron, Gob Iron, Gob Iron. It's on a par with March, I swear. Sometimes I wonder if it's the best thing Farrar's ever done, the whole of the UT canon included.

I really wish that record had gotten the promotion it deserved.

Did people also not listen to the last Son Volt disc?? It is fantastic! But yeah, Gob Iron is wonderful.

:rock

March 26th, 2007 Nightlight Lounge Bellingham, WA

March 27th, 2007 The Showbox Seattle, WA

March 28th, 2007 Crystal Ballroom Portland, OR

March 30th, 2007 The Fillmore San Francisco, CA

March 31st, 2007 Mystic Theatre Petaluma, CA

April 3rd, 2007 El Rey Theatre Los Angeles, CA

April 4th, 2007 Belly Up Tavern Solana Beach, CA

April 7th, 2007 Fox Theatre Boulder, CO

April 9th, 2007 First Avenue Minneapolis, MN

April 10th, 2007 Vic Theatre Chicago, IL

April 12th, 2007 Mod Club Toronto, ONT