I still think they were just ripping of the Pixies, which is similar to every other alternative or indie band. As Steven Colbert mentioned about The Decemberists, they are just like every other indie band, they are just ripping off of The Pixes.

Butch Vig production was really awful.

I remember reading somewhere that Bob Mould was approached about producing the record and things didn't work out. If memory serves, Bob made a comment to the effect that the record would have sounded very different if he had produced it. What could have been.

Am I the only one that prefers The Catholics to The Pixies?

Possibly.

But, you should check out Frank Black's 2-disc Fast Man Raider Man that came out about a year ago. I was talking to my brother last night who's a big Pixies/Catholics fan and he hadn't heard it yet. I don't know why more fans of his aren't picking this up as I find it his best work to date (of the solo stuff, that is).

It has the same sort of Nashville vibe as Honeycomb, yet he does a few covers and seems to be goofing around a bit more. There are definitely some throw-aways on the double cds, but overall it's a great listen.

Pixies > Nirvana.

But fortunately we have no Nirvana reunion to destroy our ability to romanticize them. Meanwhile listen to Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Floyd the Barber, Something in the Way or Milk It. Not all of Nirvana's material draws from the Pixies.

I still think they were just ripping of the Pixies, which is similar to every other alternative or indie band. As Steven Colbert mentioned about The Decemberists, they are just like every other indie band, they are just ripping off of The Pixes.

I love the Pixies, but I don't think they could do what The Decemberists do. Colbert needs to listen to the Crane Wife, and Doolittle one more time and then enjoy an apple and an orange.

IMO the only traits Nirvana shared with the Pixies were a few songs featuring the soft verse loud chorus with screamed vocals and that's where the similarity ends. It's not like the Pixies invented that anyway, they were a great band but not the hugely influential band people think they were. That stuff might have sounded fresh then to unsuspecting indie kids but the formula was old hat. Rock and metal bands had been doing that for years when they starting ripping off the first practitioners of that, Led Zeppelin.

Personally I still think Nevermind sounds great. IMO It's alleged "bad production" all stems from that one comment Kurt made about it not sounding punk enough, comparing it to GnR, way back when. It's akin to the remarks the Stones made about RnR Circus being bad, then it turns up and it's a killer document of a great band in their prime. All the while people had been bad mouthing based on the bands previous remarks.

Just as nirvana(kurt) took their influences(pixies) and did their own spin on it, wilco has also done the same damn thing.It's not like tweedy and co. are doing things that have never been done.You can totally tell their influences as they wear them on their sleeve loud and clear. :brow

I dont think the production on nevermind is at all bad,yes it's slick as hell just as anyother major label band's album.Are you telling me that none of wilco's albums are slick? Or the decemberists? Hell yes they are,if they were not then you wouldnt hear them on the radio.Production is all relative.The fact is kurt could write one hell of a song! He came around when we really needed him around.

IMO the only traits Nirvana shared with the Pixies were a few songs featuring the soft verse loud chorus with screamed vocals and that's where the similarity ends. It's not like the Pixies invented that anyway, they were a great band but not the hugely influential band people think they were. That stuff might have sounded fresh then to unsuspecting indie kids but the formula was old hat. Rock and metal bands had been doing that for years when they starting ripping off the first practitioners of that, Led Zeppelin.

Personally I still think Nevermind sounds great. IMO It's alleged "bad production" all stems from that one comment Kurt made about it not sounding punk enough, comparing it to GnR, way back when. It's akin to the remarks the Stones made about RnR Circus being bad, then it turns up and it's a killer document of a great band in their prime. All the while people had been bad mouthing based on the bands previous remarks.