Is That The Thanks I Get

Who knows what the studio version ended up sounding like though. I mean, look at Panthers. I was amazed that one didn't make the record, until I heard it on the EP. Suddenly all was made clear.

We've had this discussion about a million times so far. It'll be interesting. I'm kind of morbidly fascinated by what could be a trainwreck of epic proportions by one of my favorite all-time bands. All Shook Down stylee. What we've heard so far has been pretty bland and uninspired compared to their earlier material so that doesn't bode well, but the songs we heard towards the end tended to be much better than the earlier ones. Much, much better. Still, I'm kind of hoping they got someone in to produce the record who can work some magic. Some careful editing and a frank discussion about the relative merits of limp-wristed piano lines and flabby prog rock could do wonders.

I'm a pretty atypical fan though so maybe this will indeed be the record loved by millions, I hope so, they're all good guys.

Its funny... I've been thinking this aswell, the trainwreck possibilities I mean. When I first listened to the AGIB tracks (live versions I mean) I was completely hooked. Not on these ones. Not worried about that however because Wilco is a band thats always changing, so the songs may sound better in a studio or whatever...

That said, its not that I don't like the new songs but when they said we're gonna make a record like Being There I thought "Eh, haven't you already made a record like Being There...i.e. Being There."

On the other hand part of me thinks, "Great, another unexpected decision, I would expect nothing less of Wilco! And they're such a good band that they'll be able to make a straight-ish rock record (for want of a better description, please, no hatin') sound interesting."

And add to that that some of the songs I've listened to once or twice sound ace. I woulda preferred if "The Thanks I Get Had" been on it, its an unself-conscious, fun song. It's lyrics aren't fantastic but its a great vocal performance. Some of the other stuff sounds self-conscious almost.

i've got to be honest and say that there is not one "new" song i've heard that is even remotely interesting to me. i'm hoping for a total re-work in the studio on them because at this point, agib is looking like a better album than before. i felt there was a noticable drop-off after yhf and i fear a continuing trend. i've been a fan far too long to jump off the bandwagon, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little concerned.

i've got to be honest and say that there is not one "new" song i've heard that is even remotely interesting to me. i'm hoping for a total re-work in the studio on them because at this point, agib is looking like a better album than before. i felt there was a noticable drop-off after yhf and i fear a continuing trend. i've been a fan far too long to jump off the bandwagon, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little concerned.

I'm not this sceptical. Also I thought AGIB was fucking ace. Couldn't decide whether it or YHF is better...

I'm not this sceptical. Also I thought AGIB was fucking ace. Couldn't decide whether it or YHF is better...

i don't assume my opinion should be shared by everyone. i'm just being honest. agib did have some good tracks, but as a whole i thought yhf was a more complete album. with the next one, i'm just hoping for a few good tracks at this point. the talent currently in the band is undeniable. maybe i just set my expectations too high. just my opinion.

Yeah, I really liked the AGIB songs pre-studio for the most part, and aside from lopping off a few of the songs I wouldn't change it much.

...by the way i didn't think that version on Conan was great. A bit too smooth.

That's my problem with most of the new songs, there's a distinct lack of edge. Nels is a great guitar player but he's been pretty smooth jazzy with the new stuff. Technically I appreciate it, aesthetically I want to sneak on stage and plug in a superfuzz pedal. I thought Jeff's guitar tone (and playing) on AGIB was pretty close to perfect, but they definitely needed another guitar to balance out the two keyboard attack.

Of course for every person like us who wants the edge there's another (or more maybe... :ermm) who drink green tea, really like that smooth jazz sound and probably wish that Nels could play keytar.

Remember when bands used to release singles that weren't on the albums? Maybe they should so something like that with "Thanks I Get." If it "doesn't fit" with what the rest of the album might sound like, have it as a stand-alone single with a b-side or two.

This would be a good thread to flag and bring out a week after "Sky Blue Sky's" release...kind of like sports reporters in August predicting who's gonna win the Super Bowl the upcoming year.

I have a real good feeling about "SBS". Like Muzzle of Bees or At Least That's What You Said, the new album will get "Wilco-ized" in the studio, and come May, most of us will love what we hear.

Well, damn. Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the best blue-eyed soul songs ever? Hopefully it'll see the light of day as a B-side, but if Sky Blue Sky is a return to rock for Wilco, then colour me disappointed by its exclusion (Ooh, I could be a shitty music critic for a local rag with a cool dry wit like that. I even said "return to rock" and everything.)

Sweet Fancy Moses...

A fun song...but hardly 'one of the best ever blue-eyed soul songs ever'.

By the way, I always perceived the 'blue eyed-soul' label as being a slag in a 'Pretty good for a white boy' kinda way.

Sweet Fancy Moses...

By the way, I always perceived the 'blue eyed-soul' label as being a slag in a 'Pretty good for a white boy' kinda way.

Sort of like when someone compliments my layup, because they know I cant slam dunk, possibly due to being pigmentally challenged.