Is That The Thanks I Get

Not a surprised at all. It would have been a great song on the new Solomon Burke LP, but it never seemed like a song Jeff would put on an album. Not to say that I don't enjoy the song, it just seems like it would stick out like a sore thumb (at least when placed in previous LPs).

Edit: Walken beat me to that. =)

didn't some article published in an english rag say that it was one of the songs that was completed?

so maybe it was recorded in the studio and will be released on an ep or something.

i like the song and although we already have a live version on st, i'd like to hear it produced...

Well, damn. Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the best blue-eyed soul songs ever? Hopefully it'll see the light of day as a B-side, but if Sky Blue Sky is a return to rock for Wilco, then colour me disappointed by its exclusion (Ooh, I could be a shitty music critic for a local rag with a cool dry wit like that. I even said "return to rock" and everything.)

Well, damn. Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the best blue-eyed soul songs ever? Hopefully it'll see the light of day as a B-side...

Who knows what the studio version ended up sounding like though. I mean, look at Panthers. I was amazed that one didn't make the record, until I heard it on the EP. Suddenly all was made clear.

We've had this discussion about a million times so far. It'll be interesting. I'm kind of morbidly fascinated by what could be a trainwreck of epic proportions by one of my favorite all-time bands. All Shook Down stylee. What we've heard so far has been pretty bland and uninspired compared to their earlier material so that doesn't bode well, but the songs we heard towards the end tended to be much better than the earlier ones. Much, much better. Still, I'm kind of hoping they got someone in to produce the record who can work some magic. Some careful editing and a frank discussion about the relative merits of limp-wristed piano lines and flabby prog rock could do wonders.

I'm a pretty atypical fan though so maybe this will indeed be the record loved by millions, I hope so, they're all good guys.

Guest Speed Racer
I really like "Let's Fight" and was hoping for that on the album.

I will probably have a heart attack if that goddam Casio-style synthetic strings part shows up on the album. I think it would sound SO MUCH better as an actual string part or even a DECENT fake-string style, but all the live arrangements I've heard have the most embarrassing synthetic sound to them. Seriously, they have more keyboards than I have teeth, and that was what they thought was best...? Definitely my least favorite song I've heard previewed, if only for that.

Of course, the way their songs go in the studio it'll probably be my favorite track. :lol

On the topic of Late Greats 'blah' and ITTTIG, you cannot be rooting for a song with the lines, 'Maybe the sun will shiiiiine today,' and call ITTTIG blah...

*edit: I know you didn't refer to 'Either Way' in your post, I'm just sayin'...

I will probably have a heart attack if that goddam Casio-style synthetic strings part shows up on the album. I think it would sound SO MUCH better as an actual string part or even a DECENT fake-string style, but all the live arrangements I've heard have the most embarrassing synthetic sound to them. Seriously, they have more keyboards than I have teeth, and that was what they thought was best...? Definitely my least favorite song I've heard previewed, if only for that.

Of course, the way their songs go in the studio it'll probably be my favorite track. :lol

On the topic of Late Greats 'blah' and ITTTIG, you cannot be rooting for a song with the lines, 'Maybe the sun will shiiiiine today,' and call ITTTIG blah...

*edit: I know you didn't refer to 'Either Way' in your post, I'm just sayin'...

I'm assuming that they will use/used some actual violins/violas/cellos for the actual album session... a la Jesus Ect.

Guest Speed Racer
I'm assuming that they will use/used some actual violins/violas/cellos for the actual album session... a la Jesus Ect.

The worst part for me is that they don't even seem necessary in the song. 'Oooops, Mike needs something to do!'

Let's Fight and Either Way are two of the most perfect new songs, in my opinion. I like the rockin' crescendo of Let's Fight and, seeing Either Way live, I fell in love with it's beauty....Nels' guitar lines are really nice.

I also saw Is That The Thanks I Get live, and thought it was a fun sing-along for the crowd. And it's an enjoyable tune. But I'm not all that disappointed it's not on the album.

I really like "Let's Fight" and was hoping for that on the album.

Late Greats blah? :ermm

agreed.

late greats live is one of my favorites. There's a vibe to that song when you're close to the stage that is as happy as it gets.

"the best life never leaves your lungs"

but if Sky Blue Sky is a return to rock for Wilco, then colour me disappointed by its exclusion (Ooh, I could be a shitty music critic for a local rag with a cool dry wit like that. I even said "return to rock" and everything.)

They have always been playing rock since they formed. A Ghost Is Born is very much a rock and roll record, Summerteeth is, YHF is, A.M. is, Being There is, all their records are.

Oh well. It probably would have ended up just being another 'The Late Greats'... Kind of blah.

Also consider that they probably tracked around 30+ songs. There might be 4 or 5 great songs you have never heard before. I'm kind of hoping for that scenario.

Also consider that they probably tracked around 30+ songs. There might be 4 or 5 great songs you have never heard before. I'm kind of hoping for that scenario.

I'm hoping for that one too. Back when AGIB came out, I think Hell is Chrome was the only track that hadn't really popped up anywhere else prior to the album (Wilco live, Jeff solo, some other EP), and it was/is one of my favorite Wilco songs.