Crowded House Back Together

From Peter Green:

One thing, yes Mark Hart IS part of the band.

Yes the album that was recently recorded IS the Crowded House album not a Neil solo release.

Over the next few weeks expect to hear a lot more. The club will have a newsletter out late Feb. Contains the 'first' Crowded House 07 Interview with Neil (during the auditions), photos of the guys in the studio and details of the new drummer (that's assuming the auditions are a success), album track listing etc.

As a friend of mine asked 'Who will replace Paul'. My reply is that 'no one will ever REPLACE Paul, but you can bet that Neil, Nick will pick someone that is an exceptional drummer and hopefully carve out his/her own niche'.

It's an instant knee jerk reaction, "no Paul no Crowded House" for some, and you know that's actually ok, simply don't see them or play the new record...but there is a good chance you might be missing out on something special, sometimes it's worth taking a leaf of faith and giving soemthing a chance....

For the moment I'm not saying much, obviously we would of all loved for this to be done with a media release, the new group photo etc, and usually in music that never happens *GRIN*.

Neil has had a hankering to play in a band again

and what better band to do this in but the one he had the most joy with. Sounds fine to me.

If nothing else it will allow for some exciting discussions over the next few months.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link please? I'd like to know how solid this information is. It's not on any of the usual sites that would be announcing such things (e.g., frenz.com).

If true ... I'm almost sad about it, because Paul couldn't be around for it. I kind of wonder if Paul might be alive today if he'd known this could happen. Maybe not, but I still wonder.

I have very mixed feelings. I'll probably go see them if they tour, and I'm sure I'll check out the new album, but without the core of Neil, Nick, and Paul it just doesn't seem right somehow.

I picked a great time to finally join the frenz club.

I'm torn on this, CH have long been my favorite band. I still have my video of their mtv spring break show from 87... i know it by heart. I never got to see them live, but from recordings i realize how vital paul was to the band. i wonder had they reunited while paul was still alive, would it have saved him? then again HE left the band all those years ago.

I eagerly anticipate the record, and am sure I will enjoy the shows, but with a very heavy heart,

Woah... really amazed at this news... does seem a shame that Paul isn't around to join in, but I'm sure it's all been done in good taste and, though it'll be odd to see them back together without him, it's nice to have 'em back. Fingers crossed the material will be good...

Woah... really amazed at this news... does seem a shame that Paul isn't around to join in, but I'm sure it's all been done in good taste and, though it'll be odd to see them back together without him, it's nice to have 'em back. Fingers crossed the material will be good...

they toured for a few years after he left in '94 too

the lab tech in our group knew Paul personally and he wasnt happy with the news of them carrying on without him

I dunno whether he should be or not. Hessie left the band once before so he could be with his family, and the band toured without him, so I don't see why this would be any more of a problem than that was.

Oops, sorry...missed this thread. :blush

Just posted something about all this in the Coachella thread. :P (Please forgive my redundancy, my redundancy.)

:)

Yet another article, here.

Still not sure what to think. I trust Neil to do this with grace...and respect...on some level I think it's a way of honoring Paul, and it gives Nick (and Mark) some credit for their contributions (instead of just a Neil Finn and friends tour or something)...but yes, feels a bit strange without Paul now...even though he left CH awhile before they officially were done as a group...he was still a part of the FTTW concert...and without a doubt, a major contribution to what was Crowded House to me. :ohwell And I guess some of the conflict is not wanting to see them end up a part of the nostalgic (sometimes cheesy) 80s reformations that are happening so much now...

But I can say at this point, I want to be there when it happens again. ;)

And Samorama, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the DVD just yet, although have seen a few clips...the ones of Paul get me...will definitely be bittersweet viewing. (And I just looked at your blog...do hope you are back home comfy and getting some good rest soon!) :yes

:w00t :D :w00t

This is about the best news music-wise I could hope for. :wub

In fact - "Temple of Low Men" played in its entirety in my car carried me safely into my driveway from the Califone show in Chicago -- without requiring coffee - 5:15 a.m. :thumbup

It's fun to sing in the car alone! :blush

It's so NOT going to be the same as the original Crowded House, but those songs are so amazing that it'll be joy to see them performed again. I'm looking forward to seeing at least one or two of them.

That sums up my feelings perfectly! I've been thinking about this and I am excited but I'm also a little sad.

Another article thought I'd share, from LA Times:

Crowded House stands out in the Coachella crowd

"I just wanted to be in a band again," says lead singer Neil Finn.

By Randy Lewis

Times Staff Writer

January 26, 2007

There's "Something So Strong" about New Zealand rock band Crowded House after all: The group that disbanded a decade ago is re-forming for a new album and tour that will begin at this year's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival.

While most of the headlines regarding the latest Coachella talent lineup announced Monday focused on the one-night-only reunion of rock-rap group Rage Against the Machine, fans have been buzzing worldwide about the resurrection of Crowded House.

After charting hits with Crowded House in the late '80s and '90s, including "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Something So Strong," the group's lead singer and chief songwriter Neil Finn decided to retire the band so he could concentrate on a solo career and on sibling projects with his brother Tim Finn, who also joined Crowded House briefly. Both had previously been members of Australia's Split Enz, which did a reunion tour in 2006.

But after the suicide of Crowded House drummer Paul Hester in 2004, Finn says he slowly came to the realization that "I just wanted to be in a band again. And what other band could it be, really?"

Speaking from Auckland, New Zealand, where he's been finishing the new album with bassist Nick Seymour, Finn told The Times today that he and Seymour came together again after Hester's death, and last year began working on new songs. They also spent time revisiting the band's past for "Farewell to the World," a 10th anniversary expanded DVD release of the film of their final concert at the Sydney Opera House, which came out earlier this month.

"It just feels like something good and true," Finn said. "We sought each other out in the shadow of Paul's passing. That helped us reconnect and gave me a reminder of what bands are and what they bring, with the sharing of the load between everybody, and the humor of not being the only guy at interviews and photo shoots. It all started to feel very natural to me."

The new album, due in the spring, will be called "Time on Earth," signaling the fleeting nature of life, a theme that came into sharp focus for Finn and Seymour with the loss of Hester.

"In ways I can't really elaborate on, Paul's presence looms large on the record," Finn said "I didn't want to make a record that was wallowing in anything.... We were moved to write and to do things that remembered him to some degree, to acknowledge what happened. It affected us both very deeply and it still resonates very strongly. I dream about him a lot, and it will always to some degree haunt me. But ultimately it's an act of free will and choice, and you have to recognize that too."

Keyboardist Mark Hart, who toured and recorded with Crowded House, also will be taking part in the reunion tour, but Finn said there were no plans for his older brother, who has a solo album due soon, to join in. He and Seymour have been holding auditions in New Zealand and Australia and will continue the search for a new drummer with additional tryouts in Los Angeles in the next couple of weeks.

"It's pointless trying to find another Paul, because there isn't another Paul," he said. "It will be different, but hopefully it will be something that can grow and develop.... I'm very concerned that we do this properly so that it becomes a real band, and not just a brand."

Acknowledging rampant skepticism about the ever-rising tide of band reunions, Finn said, "There are people who may choose to see it in cynical ways, and I can't blame anybody

Split Enz fan here as well. :thumbup

Okay, just a few more things, then I promise I'll quit! :)

Places to visit for info and stuff:

http://www.farewelltotheworld.com/

http://www.myspace.com/crowdedhouse

• 5 weeks later...

New news on the Crowded House front...

Hi All

a short message from Neil on the www.frenz.com/crowdedhouse/ NEWS

area of the site regarding our new Crowded House drummer- Mr Matt

Sherrod.

As many of you know Matt has played in Beck's band.

He does use a 7A wood drumstick, which is a hickory drumstick with a

small round tip for defined cymbal work.

He is 38 years old, his father an African American Civil Rights

activist and his mother is a southern country music fan.

Neil just said to me' he's just a lovely guy and an awesome drummer'.

All sounds pretty good to me....

Welcome to the family Matt.

PG

• 3 weeks later...

This will work better: http://www.farewelltotheworld.com/

6pm Eastern US time, then!

Plus, they're letting us send e-paper airplanes:

This Saturday 17th March, the band will be performing new tracks and old favorites for a special live interactive webcast at 10pm GMT (3.00pm Los Angeles, 9.00am Sunday Sydney, 10.00am Sunday NZ), through www.crowdedhouseofficial.com. The band will take time during the performance to read out comments and answer questions from you. You can email your comments and questions for the band now to questions@crowdedhouseofficial.com and the band will answer as many as they can.

They are co-headlining with Peter Gabriel at the Hyde Park Calling Festival (June 23rd) for all you UK dwellers/summertime travelers. More here:

http://www.frenz.com/crowdedhouse/tourdates.html

:hyper U.S. dates please!