Pitchers and catchers report!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one make the cross-out through a word?

"s" tags (like "b" tags make things bold).

Or, highlight the text, then click this thingie: rte-extra.png ...and choose "Strikethrough."

I cannot wait for Monday.

The Marlins announced their starting center fielder today, and it's a kid who's got some major skills but has never played above Double A. .720 career minor league OPS, but he destroyed the Grapefruit league, and since he have no other options who actually did something during ST who have a higher pedigree, I'd say he's the guy to go with.

AAGY218_8x10-2006BattingAction~Chris-Shelton-Posters.jpg

can you say Chris Shelton ?

The Marlins have scheduled free concerts after every home saturday game, and among those announced, we have Kansas, Cheap Trick, Gloria Gaynor, Joan Jett. We're gonna party like it's 1979!

Couple that with the fact that we are going to have lawyer's appreciation night, Educator's appreciation night, Mortgage Broker's appreciation night, and CPA appreciation night and one can't help but think the Marlins are by far the most random organization in all of professional sports.

I will come down for Customer Service Representative appreciation night.

I think you should come down here anyways.

Alright, so here's the deal. I've been trying to convince my mom to take me to Chicago after Bonnaroo. Well, guess who takes on the White Sox in Chicago the 3 days following 'Roo?

That's right, folks. The Marlins and White Sox begin a series on June 18. I'm going to have to seriously get to convincing my mom to make this happen. My birthday is 2 weeks after wards.

88 year-old Johnny Pesky, with the Sox for 55 years, banned (again) from sitting in the dugout during games. I don't have a big problem with this, as "the rules are the rules," but in terms of giving the Sox an advantage in the dugout? Lame excuse.

From today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...pesky_the_hook/

88 year-old Johnny Pesky, with the Sox for 55 years, banned (again) from sitting in the dugout during games. I don't have a big problem with this, as "the rules are the rules," but in terms of giving the Sox an advantage in the dugout? Lame excuse.

From today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...pesky_the_hook/

Yeah....too bad. That's gonna end up killing the poor guy. He lives for that. I mean what's he gonna do? Steal signs at 88 years old...like he can see that far. I guess they gotta draw a line somewhere though or else you'll have 15 non-players in there. Seems kinda silly but........

Rogers has surgery to remove blood clot, out until July

March 30, 2007

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) -- Kenny Rogers had surgery Friday to remove a blood clot from his left shoulder and repair arteries, and the Detroit Tigers pitcher likely will be sidelined for the first half of the season.

The 42-year-old left-hander had the operation in Dallas. He is expected to start throwing in six-to-eight weeks, and Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said the earliest Rogers would return to the rotation is July.

Detroit placed Rogers on the 15-day disabled list on Thursday. Chad Durbin, who made the team as a reliever, will move into the Tigers' rotation.

Rogers is on the DL for the first time since 2001.

Rogers has gone from a hard-throwing pitcher to a crafty one during a career that began in 1989 with the Texas Rangers and included stops with Oakland, Minnesota and both teams in New York.

He went 17-8 with a 3.84 ERA last year during his first season with the Tigers, then gained notoriety during the postseason when he had a patch of dirt on his pitching hand. He won all three of his postseason starts and didn't allow a run in 23 innings.

Rogers was 2-0 with a 2.05 ERA in five exhibition starts. With Rogers out of the rotation, Nate Robertson will pitch in place of Rogers on Wednesday in Detroit's second game. Jeremy Bonderman starts Monday's opener against Toronto. Justin Verlander goes to third in the rotation, followed by Mike Maroth and Durbin.

Hopefully not too long. I don't know why Durbin got the spot to begin with. I could also see Ledezma getting moved into the rotation, although with the loss of Jamie Walker, I guess he's the main lefty out of the pen, so they'll probably just keep him there.