Pitchers and catchers report!

7 days until Spring Training games.

39 days 'til Opening Day!!

:cheers :beer :dancing :worship :wub

The Marlins will be the first Major League team to face Dice-K, as he is scheduled to start against BC on the 2nd of March and then the Marlins on March 6th. He's in for a rude welcome to the majors :thumbup

Can't wait for baseball season to start!

Let's see those preseason predictions, guys:

NL East:

Mets

NL Central:

Chicago

NL West:

Rockies

NL Wild Card:

Marlins (Not too far out of the realm of possibility)

NL MVP: Pujols (Cabrera is a close 2nd)

NL Cy Young: Carlos Zambrano

NL Rookie of the Year: Homer Bailey, Cincinatti Reds

AL East: Yankees

AL Central: Twins

AL West: Anaheim

AL Wild Card: Athletics

AL MVP: Johan Santana

AL Cy Young: Johan Santana

AL Rookie of the Year: Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals

World Series: Mets vs. Twins, Twins win

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twins are a pretty risky bet considering how tight the division was last year, how much better it should be this year (well, Cleveland will be better anyway, and Detroit and Chicago should be just as good), and the giant holes in their starting rotation now. Also, I'm guessing that Daisuke won't have much trouble with the Marlins considering he's likely to be facing very few actual Major League hitters in that first appearance.

Anyway, I guess I'll take a shot at this.

AL Central: Tigers

AL West: Angels

Wild Card: Indians

NL East: Mets

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Dodgers

Wild Card: Padres

AL Champ: Indians

NL Champ: Mets

WS Champ: Mets

AL MVP: Grady Sizemore

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

NL Cy Young: Roy Oswalt

AL ROY: Delmon Young

NL ROY: Homer Bailey

The Twins are a pretty risky bet considering how tight the division was last year, how much better it should be this year (well, Cleveland will be better anyway, and Detroit and Chicago should be just as good), and the giant holes in their starting rotation now. Also, I'm guessing that Daisuke won't have much trouble with the Marlins considering he's likely to be faces very few actual Major League hitters in that first appearance.

Anyway, I guess I'll take a shot at this.

AL Central: Tigers

AL West: Angels

NL Central: Cardinals

Wild Card: Padres

AL Champ: Indians

AL MVP: Grady Sizemore

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

AL ROY: Delmon Young

NL ROY: Homer Bailey

Can I just say that Grady Sizemore is probably the most underrated player in the game? He's ridiculously good. Good choice.

I'd have to argue with Young as ROY, but thats just because I'm a big fan of Alex Gordon, and I think he's got a realistic shot at 25 homers and 100 rbi with 15 steals or so, since he's stepping right into the heart of a not terrible batting order, at least at the top. With him Teahan, Ryan Shealy, and Dejesus at the top of the order, they won't be horrible.

I like Young, but he's been unimpressive the last few years, and he seems to be getting worse in terms of plate discipline. I personally think he's actually not even going to be the best rookie on his own team, with Elijah Dukes there.

Can I just say that Grady Sizemore is probably the most underrated player in the game? He's ridiculously good. Good choice.

Thanks. He's really good, and also really young. I might be jumping the gun by picking him to win it this year, but he's a pretty good candidate to get one or two somewhere along the way, and I sort of like being one of the first people on his bandwagon.

I'd have to argue with Young as ROY, but thats just because I'm a big fan of Alex Gordon, and I think he's got a realistic shot at 25 homers and 100 rbi with 15 steals or so, since he's stepping right into the heart of a not terrible batting order, at least at the top. With him Teahan, Ryan Shealy, and Dejesus at the top of the order, they won't be horrible.

I like Young, but he's been unimpressive the last few years, and he seems to be getting worse in terms of plate discipline. I personally think he's actually not even going to be the best rookie on his own team, with Elijah Dukes there.

I don't know a thing about Elijah Dukes but I'll take your word that he's good. I've got to dispute the assertion that Young has been unimpressive though. His call-up numbers last year were solid, and he's projected to be an absolute beast by pretty much everyone who bothers with those projections.

These are my wishful-thinking, slanted-toward-Chicago, I-hate-the-Yankees picks.

AL East: Blue Jays

AL Central: White Sox

AL West: Rangers

NL Central: Cubs

Wild Card: Astros

AL Champ: White Sox

WS Champ: White Sox

AL MVP: Jermaine Dye

NL MVP: Nomar Garciaparra

AL Cy Young: Jose Contreras

NL Cy Young: Carlos Zambrano

I have no idea about ROY candidates.

Thanks. He's really good, and also really young. I might be jumping the gun by picking him to win it this year, but he's a pretty good candidate to get one or two somewhere along the way, and I sort of like being one of the first people on his bandwagon.

I don't know a thing about Elijah Dukes but I'll take your word that he's good. I've got to dispute the assertion that Young has been unimpressive though. His call-up numbers last year were solid, and he's projected to be an absolute beast by pretty much everyone who bothers with those projections.

Young's OPS has fallen by 150-200 points in the last 2 years since his first two. And his On Base Percentage has to be worrying. He'll be solid this year, but I don't think he's rookie of the year.

But then, of course last year Jeremy Hermida was a lock for RoY and Hanley Ramirez was fighting with Pokey Reese (!!!) for a roster spot, so that just goes to show that RoY is the hardest award to predict.

And I think Sizemore's a great bet to win a couple as long as the voters continue to snub Santana, who you could make an argument for deserving every year, since he becomes absolutely untouchable after about May 1st.

Also, Cryptique, there's no way Nomah wins MVP.

I suck at this stuff, but I'm thrilled you started this thread, bobbob, so I'll take a shot:

AL East: Red Sox

AL Central: Twins

AL West: Rangers

Wild Card: Yankees

NL Central: Astros

Wild Card: Cubs

AL Champ: Red Sox

AL MVP: Mark Teixeira

NL MVP: Carlos Beltran

AL ROY: Alex Gordon

NL ROY: Troy Tulowitzki

Crazy-ass prediction: Cubs get A-Rod from Yanks at trading deadline... he returns to Shortstop and pushes the underachieving Cubs to the Wild Card (like I said... crazy-ass)

Troy Tulowitzki

Crazy-ass prediction: Cubs get A-Rod from Yanks at trading deadline... he returns to Shortstop and pushes the underachieving Cubs to the Wild Card (like I said... crazy-ass)

I like the pick of Tulowitzki. Could make you look like a genius come season's end, especially since playing in Colorado should help him (though not as much as it would have a few years ago.)

And with A-rod looking to opt out of his contract come season's end, it's not too far fetched that he will be traded. If the Marlins can't find a CFer and they are within 5 games, I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade for him, putting him back at short and moving Hanley to CF. I can dream, can't I?

I get alot of shit on the Marlins board for saying we should trade for BJ Upton and stick him in center, but I really think he's going to be amazing. I think he could put up numbers extremely similar to Hanley Ramirez this year if he got 162 games to do it. If I were Larry Beinfest, I would call the Tampa Bay GM right now and offer him Josh Johnson for BJ Upton straight up and not even think about it.

AL East:

Yankees squeak past Toronto. Toronto gets wild card.

AL Central:

Tigers have best pitching in MLB and take the best division. Twins come into year overrated and don't finsih .500.

AL West:

Angels win MLB's worst division.

NL East:

Mets live up to billing and win division running away; but division also provides the Wild Card -- the Phillies.

NL Central:

Astros win tight race ahead of Cardinals, Brewers, Cubs and Reds. Cubs get off to hot start scoring tons of runs but fall (not as dramatic as '69) in second half when staff completely falls apart.

NL West

Padres beat out Dodgers last week of season in baseball's best race.

Padres beat Mets in NLCS. Tigers beat Angels in ALCS.

In a rematch of 1984, Tigers again win in 5 games.

Serioulsy!!!