Pitchers and catchers report!

I have no idea what is going to happen this year, but I predict that Leyland will have one or two extra fielding practice sessions with the pitchers. And Kenny will remember to wash his hands after dropping a duece.

And I concur with MrRain's comment about CES's prediction.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, it could HAPPEN.

Our (I mean ... "their") 5th starter, Maroth or Ledezma, is good enough to be Yankees 3rd starter.

Same batting order with Sheff in the middle.

Mesa, Zumaya and Jones to close out games.

What's not to like?

Same batting order with Sheff in the middle.

This was a great trade on Dombrowski's part

Mesa, Zumaya and Jones to close out games.

I am still nervous about Jones as the closer? He makes too many games way more exciting than needed, if you know what I mean.

Don't make me laugh....they have a shot at the wildcard I suppose.

LouieB

Everyone else in their division got worse, and they got better. That offense is going to put up TONS of runs because they added

Also, a rotation of Zambrano, Rich Hill, Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, and Mark Prior will be a lot better than people think. Rich Hill is going to have a really good year.

This was a great trade on Dombrowski's part

I am still nervous about Jones as the closer? He makes too many games way more exciting than needed, if you know what I mean.

If they are smart they won't have Zumaya closing games. Picking up Mesa was a terrible idea, because now they have two mediocre relievers (Jones, Mesa) fighting for the 9th inning spot. Neither of those guys should be used in any situation but the 9th inning with a 3 run lead. Zumaya is just so much better than either of them, but I fear for you guys that he's gonna end up the closer and Jones and Mesa will start giving up runs in the 7th/8th instead of the 9th.

And I don't see their starting pitching being as good as it was last year. Just like the White Sox pitching fell off, I think theirs will too. It was too flukey good.

Everyone else in their division got worse, and they got better. That offense is going to put up TONS of runs because they added

Also, a rotation of Zambrano, Rich Hill, Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, and Mark Prior will be a lot better than people think. Rich Hill is going to have a really good year.

Zambrano will be great, Hill will be OK, Prior will only tease and Lilly and Marquis will tear your heart out with frustration.

Who's going to close? Dempster or Wood?

If they are smart they won't have Zumaya closing games. Picking up Mesa was a terrible idea, because now they have two mediocre relievers (Jones, Mesa) fighting for the 9th inning spot. Neither of those guys should be used in any situation but the 9th inning with a 3 run lead. Zumaya is just so much better than either of them, but I fear for you guys that he's gonna end up the closer and Jones and Mesa will start giving up runs in the 7th/8th instead of the 9th.

And I don't see their starting pitching being as good as it was last year. Just like the White Sox pitching fell off, I think theirs will too. It was too flukey good.

Chisox were loaded with tired pitchers who overachieved: Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras and El Duque.

Tigers got there with 4 twenty year olds and a "crafty lefty."

I think the real value of Mesa will be in the bullpen itself -- showing the young pitchers work ethic and what it takes to stay in the majors for 20 years.

Jones scares the hell out of me but he got to the World Series.

Mesa will never be the Tigers closer, nor are they even talking about it. He's, at best, the #4 guy out of the pen. Jones will be the closer (at least to start the season). After him, the job would fall to either Zumaya or Fernando Rodney. Mesa is going to be used for middle relief, and probably not even the primary middle relief guy (which I'm thinking will probably be either Zach Miner or Wil Ledezma).

And I am also afraid of Todd Jones as the closer.

I'm not entirely sure what to expect out of the starting pitching. Kenny Rogers likely will slip some, but probably not a whole lot. Bonderman should continue to get better -- he may turn into a legit star this year. Robertson could go either way. I'm not expecting much out of Maroth coming off his injury, but if he slips, Ledezma or Miner would be adaquate #5 starters as well. Verlander is the big question mark -- I think he is legitimately as good as he looked last year, but he also threw way more innings last year than he ever had before, so he could get worn out pretty quickly this year.

Who's going to close? Dempster or Wood?

dempster sucked last year. if he walks 5 guys in the 9th to lose a game a couple of more times, i see him as in trouble. but i think eyre or howry would be more likely closers at this point, and i cannot count on wood or prior in any way.

completely agree with you on this. Jones made me nervous his first go around with the tigers, with that said he is the teams all time saves leader. definitly feel that the al central will be the toughest division, but will go with hometown bias and say the tigers win the division.

wildcard cleveland

al east yankees

al west angels

nl east mets

nl central st louis

nl west dodgers

nl wildcard cubs

So, which one are those guys better than...Wang, Pettite, or Mussina ???

Er ... uh ... I mean ... you know ... OK, I forgot Pettite sold his soul to go back to the Bronx. I was thinking Randy was the 3rd starter.

AL Central: Chicago White Sox (totally biased, but I think they have a decent shot)

AL West: Oakland A's

AL East: NY Yankees

AL Wild Card: Detroit Tigers

NL Central: St. Louis

NL East: NY Mets

NL West: San Diego Padres

NL Wild Card: Philadelphia Phillies

Chicago White Sox defeat the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2007 World Series

as far as the Cubs go, i dont know about anyone else but i really do hope their over-spending bites them in the butt. i think it will be fun to watch soriano in cf.

East: Phillies

Umm, are you high? The Phillies find more ways to self-destruct than a fuckton of Anna Nicole Smiths. :P

Umm, are you high? The Phillies find more ways to self-destruct than a fuckton of Anna Nicole Smiths. :P

Haha, I suppose you are right. I may be overreacting, but I think the Phillies made some nice moves this offseason. I like Adam Eaton, and Freddy Garcia might have something left in the tank. Plus I think their two young stud players (Howard and Utley) are as good if not better than Reyes/Wright or Reyes/Beltran. All of that plus the Mets making no moves this offseason have me worried. But, you are right:

Ya Gotta Believe.