Pitchers and catchers report!

I think there's a fair chance Pete will get in posthumously, but I don't think it will happen in his lifetime. The lifetime ban was instituted partially to use him as a warning to others--its harsh, but I don't think we'll see them back down from that. But I do wonder if he'll be granted a bit of forgiveness once he's gone. After all, if part of the Hall's job is to record the history of the game, it would be a glaring omission to go on pretending he never existed.

Not to nitpick or anything, but getting in posthumously by definition means it will not happen in his lifetime.

He knew the penalty before he ever placed a bet, but he bet that he was bigger than the game. I grew up watching Pete Rose for years annd I thought that he was an ass all his career, granted a hard playing ass who had the great fortune to not ever get seriously injured, but an ass nonetheless. I could not stand him back then and hhe has done ntohing since he quit playing to change my mind.

By the way Pete isin the Hall of Fame, just not an induucted member. They have Pete's name where it should be on all the record charts and his presence is acknowledged, is is just not in the shrine portion.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to nitpick or anything, but getting in posthumously by definition means it will not happen in his lifetime.

Not to nitpick or anything, but as far as I can tell, he set that statement up just fine: he may get in after he dies, but he won't before.

Not to nitpick, but I'm not sure they'll be able to hasten Opening Day. Besides, I haven't had a Pete Rose discussion in a while. Probably since the last time he revealed a half-truth two years ago or so.

To go back to a comment earlier that the HOF isn't the Honor Roll: no one has claimed that it is or should be. There are plenty of people in the HOF with questionable moral character. These people didn't gamble on the game, though.

In regards to people like Nolan Ryan (who admitted to altering balls pitched) being admitted to the HOF, it's leaps and bounds from what Rose did. Baseball has many overt and covert codes. Pitchers messing with the ball is one of the covert ones. Not every pitcher does it, but it's pretty well-known that it happens somewhat frequently. The severity of this basball "crime" is evidenced in the punishment dealt out by the League for getting caught. It's a minor offense, and rightly so, and should not be used in comparison to what Rose did.

re: Bonds.

Steroid use (as well as all illegal substances) has been banned in baseball since as early as 1991 (it might be 1993, I forget). Just because other players were doing it doesn't make it permissable. Just because MLB didn't implement testing for steroids until a few years ago also does not excuse the usage of steroids. Still, I don't categorize what Bonds has almost positively done with what Rose did. And yet, I think Bonds should be denied any honors, as well.

All I was saying in my original point back there somewhere was how it is just interesting--using Bonds and Rose as reference points here--that what Bonds almost certainly has done which DID have a direct impact on his performance and career is seem as a somewhat lesser offense than what Rose did which is a big deal because it has a potential effect, though to my knowledge nobody has shown he was actively involved in actually rigging games. Its the comparison between the two--the concrete vs the hypothetical--and the fact that the perceived severity is the inverse of what one might expect.

Do I think Rose is a great guy? Nope, not really. He absolutely did dig his own grave on this one because he knew what he was getting into. Its not at all that I don't get the potential impact on the game that gambling brings--I just think it makes for an interesting debate. Its the baseball equivalent of a pre-emptive strike.

You are never going to lose the Stolen bases category, thats for sure. You've got a pretty decently strong offensive team, and Pierre, Reyes and Damon are going to pretty single handedly win you the steals and runs categories. I would try to find a way to get Figgins out of the lineup and work Blalock into it, as you need some power, and Figgins is a one category contributor since he's being moved down in the lineup. I would also try to trade Chris Young and Joe Borowski for someone like Jeremy Bonderman. Sell high on those guys.

You've got a studly Middle infield, dude. I would love to have that on my fantasy team.

i already got rid of Putz for Saito, because i think he'll get more chances for saves than anybody on the M's. not sure anybody will trade with me (this is a family league and my family likes to stonewall me)

i already got rid of Putz for Saito, because i think he'll get more chances for saves than anybody on the M's. not sure anybody will trade with me (this is a family league and my family likes to stonewall me)

Is Rich Hill available? PICK HIM UP IF HE IS!

who would you drop for him?

Nick Johnson's going to be out until May or so, as far as I know, so he's expendable, but keep an eye on his reports and make sure you pick him back up before he comes back.

June, even.

here's how my team looks after my draft on sunday.

Johan Santana SP

Scott Kazmir SP

Rich Harden SP

Cole Hamels SP

Brett Myers SP

Randy Johnson SP

Armando Ben

Nick Johnson's going to be out until May or so, as far as I know, so he's expendable, but keep an eye on his reports and make sure you pick him back up before he comes back.

June, even.

How many teams are in your league? Thats a ridiculous team.

rich hill was 6-7 last year.... what makes you think he's worth picking up? zumaya is available...

rich hill was 6-7 last year.... what makes you think he's worth picking up? zumaya is available...

RICHHILL.jpg

Because a good amount of the major projection systems agree this kid is going to be sick.

only 10 teams. and one guy is a total homer so he was drafting a lot of tigers. ended up with santana at the 6th pick.

You'd better win that league, man. Thats a great team. Your pitching is ridonkulous.