My brother just sent me yet another amazing mix CD (he has this uncanny ability for creating the best collection of songs, ever!) and a couple of Regina Spektor songs were on it. I'd heard of her before, I think from something on npr.org, but I hadn't heard any of her songs. After listening to two songs on the mix from her latest album, I downloaded her album titled "Songs", i think from 2002 (don't quote me on that!). I really think that she's going to become one of my favourite female singer/songwriters. I love love love her voice (it somewhat reminds me of Feist, at certain points) and the music if fantastic. Anyways, just wondering if anyone roaming these parts has heard her stuff and if so, what they thought...

I guess I'll have to check out some other tracks from her at some point. The local alternative station plays a song by her that is the single most annoying thing I've heard in years.

I don't listen to that station much (I only flip it on when other stations are pissing me off), but it seems like that song is on every time I do.

yes!!!! oooo-I love her!!!!! and I also think Nickelback and every other artist in VH1's top twenty are so talented.....

Is that supposed to be a joke? Spektor doesn't belong on a list called VH1's top twenty, and I'm always surprised to see her in that light. The Spektor I know is the one who has been playing small spots in NYC for the past five years.

yes!!!! oooo-I love her!!!!! and I also think Nickelback and every other artist in VH1's top twenty are so talented.....

I really hope that I'm reading this wrong and you're not implying that I only start listening to people when they get on this silly list, which I've never heard of, by the way. If she is starting to get more widespread attention, then good for her. I think more people should be exposed to her music. Just because she's on the same list as Nickleback, it shouldn't somehow decrease her talent. I doubt she had any control over getting onto said list.

Soviet Kitsch is fantastic. Diverse, unusual, and musically adventurous. I first heard Regina when she opened for the Strokes in Houston many years ago. Her's was the best part of the show.

The new record is also strong, but clearly (imho) designed to reach a wider (read: VH1) audience. The first "side", if you will, is terrific.

i feel like theres so many other really talented female artists that somehow shes stealing thunder from (yamagata, jenny lewis, fiona apple).. it kinda pisses me off she just changed her sound to sell records and got popular but its bullshit because its just wannabe art school sound

This just in: If you change your sound over the course of six albums and steadily grow a modest fan base, you're a bunch of geniuses. If you change your sound and a bunch of people like it, it's bullshit wannabe art school bullshit that's a bullshit move to sell more bullshit records.

This just in: If you change your sound over the course of six albums and steadily grow a modest fan base, you're a bunch of geniuses. If you change your sound and a bunch of people like it, it's bullshit wannabe art school bullshit that's a bullshit move to sell more bullshit records.

exactly. her art school b.s. is just as bad as everything else though, it just has selling out on top of it

I've only heard the one tune, and I can't turn the station fast enough, really I'm

just afraid of it getting stuck in my head, and then I'll be walking around

singing it with little birds pearched on my shoulder, it this happens and you see me, beat the crap out of me.

This just in: Regina Spektor forced Fiona Apple to put out a shitty record that nobody likes. Plus, if you change your sound and a bunch of people like it, but I don't, then you're a sellout, sister.

Okay, as long as you can admit it. :yes

Her album is also probably selling well because it is at record shops for like $7.99. You really can't go wrong, plus it is a damn good album. :thumbup