How do i get rid of squeaks when moving my fingers along a string?

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. The really annoying, really high pitched squeaks that occur when you move your left hand (sorry lefties) along a string to bring it somewhere quickly.

Is there a technique way of fixing this? Maybe i have a bad guitar with bad strings?

Or am i supposed to put something on my fingers? (I think I heard this once)

Thanks in advance!

some squeaks are going to happen. Primarily the way to avoid them is to keep the string depressed while moving between notes/chords and/or muting the strings with right hand while moving the left above the strings

or, of course, there's the secret way. :ninja

I'm not going to get this story entirely right but what the hell.

People who auditioned for Ronnie Hawkin's band (The Hawks, some of who became The Band) were told that they couldn't play for Ronnie if they squeaked. Somebody was reported to have said "Segovia squeaks". Ronnie's reply was "That's why he's not in my band".

That probably doesn't help.

Spraying your strings with Fast Fret, or a similar string cleaning product, might help. This stuff also makes the neck feel nice and smooth.

Or you could try coated strings. Elixir is one brand that comes to mind.

I feel most squeaking is so minimal that it matters not, unless you are playing a really bright acoustic and your finger picking is quiet as hell. But maybe I am just an over the hill guitar player who doesnt notice the layer of slopy noise between his chords......

I'm not going to get this story entirely right but what the hell.

People who auditioned for Ronnie Hawkin's band (The Hawks, some of who became The Band) were told that they couldn't play for Ronnie if they squeaked. Somebody was reported to have said "Segovia squeaks". Ronnie's reply was "That's why he's not in my band".

That probably doesn't help.

:lol

what a great story! and when segovia squeaked it's like angel's farting...

i adoid squeaks, or at least mimimalize them with less pressure when i more in the right hand.

• 2 months later...

Just for a laugh - next time you change strings, try a set of flatwounds.

I tried this a few years ago, first on my ES-330 - then my Telecaster, and I've been hooked ever since. They have a really pure tone, a bit darker that standard strings (which really benefits the Tele, IMO).

Plus, there's no squeak. :thumbup

NP: d'Addario Chromes .010 - .048

Or you could try coated strings. Elixir is one brand that comes to mind.

I use Elixir strings on my Larrivee, and they definitely reduce the squeak -- but no so much as to remove it completely. The squeak is an integral part of guitar-playing.

Just for a laugh - next time you change strings, try a set of flatwounds.

I tried this a few years ago, first on my ES-330 - then my Telecaster, and I've been hooked ever since. They have a really pure tone, a bit darker that standard strings (which really benefits the Tele, IMO).

Plus, there's no squeak. :thumbup

NP: d'Addario Chromes .010 - .048

Nice,I'll try this.