SBS as Rubber Soul/Revolver

Anybody else out there see this album as very much like Rubber Soul/Revolver-era Beatles? It sounds very laid back with excellent melodies and musicianship, with the bonus of pleasant and easy, non-challenging lyrics?

You've got guitar harmonies in the vein of "And Your Bird Can Sing" on "Impossible Germany" and the sweetness and sincerety of "Here, There, and Everywhere" on "Hate It Here", alongside that song's blistering references to the Let It Be/Abbey Road-era. And, as a sidenote, on top of that you've got the illustrious references to The Band, especially in the organ-fueled middle part of "You Are My Face".

I think they're just in that same mentality right now as those guys were, or they may be listening to those albums a lot, like how 'Pet Sounds' breathed its way in on 'Summerteeth'. It just fuses it's way in and with our guys, it's sonically perfect.

For me, I think it's one of their best accomplishments yet...up there in the top 3 of their catalog; and it's definitely encouraging that they are continuing to comfortably progress in a path that could lead to many great unachieved heights.

Anybody else out there see this album as very much like Rubber Soul/Revolver-era Beatles? It sounds very laid back with excellent melodies and musicianship, with the bonus of pleasant and easy, non-challenging lyrics?

You've got guitar harmonies in the vein of "And Your Bird Can Sing" on "Impossible Germany" and the sweetness and sincerety of "Here, There, and Everywhere" on "Hate It Here", alongside that song's blistering references to the Let It Be/Abbey Road-era. And, as a sidenote, on top of that you've got the illustrious references to The Band, especially in the organ-fueled middle part of "You Are My Face".

I think they're just in that same mentality right now as those guys were, or they may be listening to those albums a lot, like how 'Pet Sounds' breathed its way in on 'Summerteeth'. It just fuses it's way in and with our guys, it's sonically perfect.

For me, I think it's one of their best accomplishments yet...up there in the top 3 of their catalog; and it's definitely encouraging that they are continuing to comfortably progress in a path that could lead to many great unachieved heights.

I just like how a lot of the songs aren't external gimmickry like YHF or AGiB (Not there's anything wrong with it! (Kidsmoke!!!1)), and how it's very much about creating more simple, but substantial songs that will fare much better with time.

i yearn for the day where one can praise the simple without insulting the abstract, and vice versa. many of Jeff's songs are timeless, they appear on every album.

...and please stop with the Beatles comparisons, you're making me way too excited for May 15th.

I actually like the new Wilco album, but c'mon. Revolver, in particular, is probably on a short list of the best albums ever recorded.
People need something to do here....

LouieB

Sounds more like solo McCartney to me... listen to Ram, then SBS...

ram.jpg

i yearn for the day where one can praise the simple without insulting the abstract, and vice versa. many of Jeff's songs are timeless, they appear on every album.

hey i feel ya tt...totally agree with you here.

it's like saying you know i like the mona lisa, but guernica is shit (or as tt said vice versa). both are done by masters of obviously different styles and from very different times, but there is enough appreciation to go around. especially, i might add, after seeing them "live" and in person.

viva wilco.

>I was thinking more along the lines of

If YHF = Highway 61 Revisited

And AGIB = Blonde On Blonde

Then SBS = John Wesley Harding

Interesting premise.

And, yes, I hear a Beatles' sound and vibe on SBS.