How do these guys get their lives back?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me at what income level you are considered rich, as a white man of course, is their some sort of general consensus around here? I'd like to know where I fall on the sliding scale of evil. Thanks.

You think their hearts are made differently because they come from privileged backgrounds?

I'm not talking about their hearts. I'm talking about their circumstances. I'm sure they'll be dealing with this for a long time, emotionally, mentally -- possibly for the rest of their lives. I fully expect them to sue (if they haven't already), and I hope they win.

But even if they don't, let's not delude ourselves by thinking that this episode has somehow ruined their lives. It absolutely hasn't, and though it may seem callous to some to say so, that's largely because of their privileged backgrounds. That's just a fact.

kind of cool how we can still talk about white men in universal terms. 'those people'

on the financial note I must admit I missed the public posting of the lacrosse players' parents' tax returns, as well as the documentation of the trust funds set up for the players. I also missed the conversations that went on in their homes where their parents lent their unconditional support and trust, or doubted the innocence of their children.

I don't get the impression that these kids will have ruined lives. I'm a news junkie, and I can't even recall any of their names. I think this will not even be a footnote to history.

Ditto. I'd say that the vast majority of people won't remember their names or faces or anything like that. I certainly don't.

If it's any consolation, though, even though they're not guilty, they probably remain...douchebags.

Ditto. I'd say that the vast majority of people won't remember their names or faces or anything like that. I certainly don't.

If it's any consolation, though, even though they're not guilty, they probably remain...douchebags.

I went to a southern school with a reputation for snobbery, and I attended a number* of parties at which a group of guys sat around and watched ladies remove their clothing while moving to a rhythmic beat. Granted, the sport we were all best at (except for Pete, who was on the basketball team) was keg tossing, and not everybody at the party was white (which isn't to say I believe all the Duke lacrosse players were white, since black people (gasp) play lacrosse, too), but we had strippers at our party. Fortunately, none of the dancers we had over accused anyone of rape, but the guys on the lacrosse team didn't rape their entertainment any more than we raped ours.

I don't know if I'm doing anything at all to prove my point, which is that assuming they are douchebags seems a little prejudicial, and probably speaks to the claim that their lives are tainted. Are all lacrosse players douchebags? Are all people who attend Duke douchebags? Is everybody who plays lacrosse a douchebag? Where does that come from?

*that number is "two"

I went to a southern school with a reputation for snobbery, and I attended a number* of parties at which a group of guys sat around and watched ladies remove their clothing while moving to a rhythmic beat. Granted, the sport we were all best at (except for Pete, who was on the basketball team) was keg tossing, and not everybody at the party was white (which isn't to say I believe all the Duke lacrosse players were white, since black people (gasp) play lacrosse, too), but we had strippers at our party. Fortunately, none of the dancers we had over accused anyone of rape, but the guys on the lacrosse team didn't rape their entertainment any more than we raped ours.

I don't know if I'm doing anything at all to prove my point, which is that assuming they are douchebags seems a little prejudicial, and probably speaks to the claim that their lives are tainted. Are all lacrosse players douchebags? Are all people who attend Duke douchebags? Is everybody who plays lacrosse a douchebag? Where does that come from?

*that number is "two"

[quote name='JUDE

Two lacrosse players lived on my hall my first year of college. One was a total meathead asshole who got drunk every other night and pissed in his roommate's stereo one night. The other guy was a standup guy. We used to hang out all the time, and he bought us beer occasionally because he looked 30.

These guys were completely railroaded. This isn't really debatable. I don't recall ever seeing the prosecuting district attorney admit that they fucked up. How these guys are still being made out as villians or partially-to-blame for what happened is absolutely insane.

Being rich (I'm not 100% certain that these guys are) or a LaCrosse player doesn't make anyone a douchebag either.

Side note - why isn't the media making a bigger deal out of how these guys got screwed? They should be plastering Sharpton, Jesse, etc. on with their quotes of condemning them before they were found guilty. Seems to me that ESPN is the only station giving this significant airplay.

I'd love to know how much the families had to spend on attorney's fees defending false accusations.

Fucking lawyers...

:ninja

I caught a bit of this yesterday on Good Morning America and I think they tossed around a figure of about 3 million or so as the cost of the defense (for all 3).

Two lacrosse players lived on my hall my first year of college. One was a total meathead asshole who got drunk every other night and pissed in his roommate's stereo one night. The other guy was a standup guy. We used to hang out all the time, and he bought us beer occasionally because he looked 30.

Can you picture it? Now...imagine these guys were white.

Side note - why isn't the media making a bigger deal out of how these guys got screwed? They should be plastering Sharpton, Jesse, etc. on with their quotes of condemning them before they were found guilty. Seems to me that ESPN is the only station giving this significant airplay.

Come on everybody knows ESPN is a front for the great rich-white dude double-super secret ruling class. Its entire purpose is to exploit the black man and profit off of his athletic prowess. That and show the World Series of Poker.

I caught a bit of this yesterday on Good Morning America and I think they tossed around a figure of about 3 million or so as the cost of the defense (for all 3).

if they can afford to pay for that sort of defense there must be more where that came from. pricks. and they got off!

The white is the better rich douchebag. And he practices to be the better rich douchebag, and he's bred to be the better rich douchebag because this goes way back to the Europe. The king would breed this rich white man douchebag with this rich white woman douchebag so he could have a rich white douchebag kid. That's where it all started.

Because some guy said something shitty on the radio. The media can only cover one thing at a time!

The mere fact that these guys could afford $3 million means they are obviously guilty of something. There is no way their families could have earned that without exploitation or criminal activity. I demand an investigation into the source of these funds.

If they weren't douchebags, then they wouldn't be able to afford a good defense and they would still be under investigation. So the fact that they are innocent is proof that they are douchebags.

The white is the better rich douchebag. And he practices to be the better rich douchebag, and he's bred to be the better rich douchebag because this goes way back to the Europe. The king would breed this rich white man douchebag with this rich white woman douchebag so he could have a rich white douchebag kid. That's where it all started.

Nice one, Jimmy.