How do these guys get their lives back?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mud wrestling with the Lady Scarlet Knights?

Live on ESPN-RD.

How do they get their lives back? Easy they graduate from Duke and take advantage of the Duke degree which openns a whole lot of doors for them. These guys are actually in a better off position to move forward than some people who are flasely accused or imprisioned do.

If I were a real man I'd change my name to Poly Gamy.

Douchebags or not (because really, does it even matter?), the stripper who started all this should have to pay the legal fees incurred to defend against false allegations. Maybe the Sharpton/Jackson camp can help cover the damages for her.

If I were a real man I'd change my name to Poly Gamy.

Douchebags or not (because really, does it even matter?), the stripper who started all this should have to pay the legal fees incurred to defend against false allegations. Maybe the Sharpton/Jackson camp can help cover the damages for her.

stripper.....pay

how?

seriously, I'm not sure how what she did doesn't warrant criminal charges. plus, crying rape in a crowded theater really should have women lighting their torches.

How do they get their lives back? Easy they graduate from Duke and take advantage of the Duke degree which openns a whole lot of doors for them. These guys are actually in a better off position to move forward than some people who are flasely accused or imprisioned do.

OK, just I

Has anyone here expressed both of these viewpoints?

Thise whole thread reminds me so much of listenign to my father and his friends talking about MLK back in the 1960's. Dad did not shed a tear when King was killed and always considered him an unwanted agitator comming into situations he did not belong in. He always downplayed the situation at hand deriding the blacks for wanting any change. Later he was able to blame everything on King annd the Panthers. If dad were alive today he might have a diifferent view of the world since he would have a hispanic grand daughter and two black great grand kids, who knows, maybe not.

So, reminiscing about what one's father said decades ago is the same thing as sharing and expressing his viewpoints? Awesome.

No but by stating that reading a thread about Imus

While I have read all of this with a slight bit of amusement, I really hope for the sake of Wilco's fanbase that much of the posts here have been sprinkled with a dose of sarcasm. If, in fact, everyone here ultimately holds to and believes what has been posted here, I would walk away thinking that a great many people have prejudices against white upper class kids simply because that's what they are. I think in the end we all view such a category as "the man" and we all love in one way or another to stick it to "the man".

But, do we really want to take it a step further and cling to such prejudiced and stereotypical marginalization for all white kids whose parents have money or go to Duke or play Lacrosse? Some here have not made such judgments, but others seem to have made such conclusions. Maybe my fears are unwarranted. Maybe there is a healthy dose of playful banter going on in these posts I am just not picking up. But I found myself getting more uncomfortable with the content and tone of post after post. A lot of it just seemed uninformed and biased. I have found those who post on Viachicago regularly to be open, generous, openminded, loyal, empathetic, and vastly intelligent.

I hope some good can come out of this mess. Maybe it's too sentimental of me, but I would hope that these three young men and their family, who have been subjected to this injustice for the past year, would use this experience to educate themselves about injustice, prejudice, racism and sexism and maybe make a difference in the world, much of which experiences these types of injustices on a regular basis. While these three men and their families have every right to move on and forget about this horrendous year, I would hope that simply forgetting about the experience and moving on in their lives as if nothing happened would not be the epilogue of this episode.

It's funny, because I'm a pretty cynical person myself, and I tend to identify and empathize with the outcast, the minority (not just racially) and the oppressed. But I've come to realize that more than anything (especially in light of larger scale world events going on in our times) that what I am passionate about and wish for more than anything is justice and accountability. Why can't it apply here as well as to other world events.

I don't know if these guys are nice, pleasant men - I don't know if I got into a conversation with them I'd have anything in common with them. But I do know that the District Attorney exonerated them from all the charges - he declared them "innocent".

I get really worked up when the legal and justice system fails the poor, the uneducated, and the social outcasts. What would it say about me if I didn't get upset when the legal and justice system fails the rich, the educated, and the "social elite"?

I really do hope this didn't come across as soapbox banter, because I also hate it when someone preaches to me in a condescending manner. I just thought I'd share my two cents.

$10 each of these guys spilled beer on somebody, used their chellphone and talked loudly at a wilco show. this thread is fucking amazing. again, I have to wonder if some people can see past the 50,000 pound chip on their shoulder and really want true equality.

sloppy

$10 each of these guys spilled beer on somebody, used their chellphone and talked loudly at a wilco Dave Matthews show. this thread is fucking amazing. again, I have to wonder if some people can see past the 50,000 pound chip on their shoulder and really want true equality.
$10 each of these guys spilled beer on somebody, used their chellphone and talked loudly at a wilco show. this thread is fucking amazing. again, I have to wonder if some people can see past the 50,000 pound chip on their shoulder and really want true equality.

$10 additional that they were wearing some sort of baseball cap. PROBABLY A DUKE LACROSSE ONE!!