New Paul McCartney single

Guest Speed Racer

For a song, it's alright. For McCartney, it's terrible. I haven't been able to take him seriously, remotely, since that 'Freedom' song back in 2001. If someone besides McCartney wrote/performed this, there would be no thread about it.

For a song, it's alright. For McCartney, it's terrible. I haven't been able to take him seriously, remotely, since that 'Freedom' song back in 2001. If someone besides McCartney wrote/performed this, there would be no thread about it.

Unless like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen or any major artist had released it as their first song in a few years. Then yes, I do think there would be a thread about it.

And yeah "Freedom" is awful, and I was embaressed when he chose to play it on that tour, but I guess at the time it seemed like a good idea? And if you missed Chaos and Creation because of "Freedom" you missed out big time.

I am still curious as to why The Rolling Stones are too old for what they do - yet it is ok for Paul to do what he does.

Paul - 18 June 1942

Mick - 26 July 1943

Keith - 18 December 1943

Charlie Watts - 2 June 1941

Ron Wood - 1 June 1947

Anyone hear anything remotely interesting in this song, lyrically or musically? I'm all for people putting out what they want to put out, God bless 'em, good for Paul. But is there any compelling reason to listen to this song twice?

Nope.

I was thinking of this yesterday when Iggy Pop turned 60.

Well - you always hear "the stones are too old" or whatever.

I don't think people tend to be that ageist when it comes to older people making music if it's good. It's when it's no good (which I'd say about The Rolling Stones, as I would about Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart etc... too), then people just take the piss out of their age as it's the easiest thing to draw a target on. Really if they were younger and making the same standard of music then they probably wouldn't be talked about at all.

I don't think people tend to be that ageist when it comes to older people making music if it's good. It's when it's no good (which I'd say about The Rolling Stones, as I would about Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart etc... too), then people just take the piss out of their age as it's the easiest thing to draw a target on. Really if they were younger and making the same standard of music then they probably wouldn't be talked about at all.

I also think it has to do with MJ's sexual deal - as in, "my mom liked him, but now he is too old" etc.

I also think it has to do with MJ's sexual deal - as in, "my mom liked him, but now he is too old" etc.

Yeah, but when there is little else to talk about with regard to Mick Jagger. All you're left with is his age, bodily appearance, and dress-sense, so anything people say about him is going to be of that nature - or, "I remember when they were good" kind of thing, which again reflects the age issue even though it speaks of their music.

I am still curious as to why The Rolling Stones are too old for what they do - yet it is ok for Paul to do what he does.

Paul - 18 June 1942

Mick - 26 July 1943

Keith - 18 December 1943

Charlie Watts - 2 June 1941

Ron Wood - 1 June 1947

there are lots of people who think Paul is too old forit too. I say let em go til they drop dead. As long as it's still making people happy.

Guest Speed Racer
Unless like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen or any major artist had released it as their first song in a few years. Then yes, I do think there would be a thread about it.

To clarify, I meant a first-time artist. If this were a new song by a new artist, no one would pay it a second listen, if even a first - much less a thread.

I suggest getting Ram, Paul McCartney, and Chaos And Creation.

I am sure I have heard Ram, Red Rose Speedway, etc. sometime in the last 30 years. I think the last song of his I recall hearing was We Got Married. I have just never been into him or his music that much. I wish he would put out the Wings Over America film on dvd. Have you ever seen it? Joe English was a great drummer.

I'd have thought you'd have been a fan of Ram.

ram is in my top ten albums of all time. seriously.