i'm writing an essay comparing/contrasting YHF and SBS

so for my writing class, we were given the assignment of just writing a comparison/constrating essay. we could pick our own topics, so i really wanted to do Wilco. i started writing my essay on YHF and SBS. the three main areas i'm comparing and contrasting are Tweedy's songwriting, the guitar work done throughout both albums, and the studio production of each album.

can you guys help give me some ideas and key points i should make sure to throw in there? not saying write the essay for me, but it would be nice to get some insight from others on how the albums are similar or differ. thanks.

-Gene

so for my writing class, we were given the assignment of just writing a comparison/constrating essay. we could pick our own topics, so i really wanted to do Wilco. i started writing my essay on YHF and SBS. the three main areas i'm comparing and contrasting are Tweedy's songwriting, the guitar work done throughout both albums, and the studio production of each album.

can you guys help give me some ideas and key points i should make sure to throw in there? not saying write the essay for me, but it would be nice to get some insight from others on how the albums are similar or differ. thanks.

-Gene

I can of think those albums are bit hard to contrast. If I were you, I would do like A.M. to Being There because there's big difference between those two. However, in every Wilco album there is differences, which is why they are great.

But since you are doing SBS and YHF, here are some brief ideas of differences.

Songwriting:

YHF- The album is a lot about America. For proof, check out "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" "Ashes Of American Flags" and "Reservations." Use those to find out and then write about what Tweedy's stating about America.

SBS- There's a lot of hope filled in the album in songs such as "Either Way," "What Light," and "On and On And On"

Guitar Work (Or the Music):

YHF- I like to call Folk ambient music that swirl and twirls that perfectly matches Tweedy's words.

SBS- A lot of soul and interweaving guitars that carries the uplifting spirit behind the lyrics.

Studio Production:

YHF- Get a quote from the band on how Jim O'Rourke help out this record. From a site such as this

http://www.geocities.com/nutnhunee/ (Look for dates during the YHF release)

SBS- Get a quote from the band on how they wanted it to sound like they were playing as they recorded: in a circle. I think billboard.com has an article that has Tweedy mentioning it.

Hope it helps, if anything I wrote made any sense.

Guest tandylacker

Why don't you do something else with your time. Is this possibly for high school? One thing I learned in high school is that you don't have to do a thing and you'll make it through just fine. :thumbup

One thing I learned in high school is that you don't have to do a thing and you'll make it through just fine. :thumbup

I'm proof

Comparison=members rolls as musicians

Contrast=actual members

Why don't you do something else with your time. Is this possibly for high school? One thing I learned in high school is that you don't have to do a thing and you'll make it through just fine. :thumbup

Writing and reading can help you out quite a bit. Math you only need how to do Alegbra and science is bull if you are not going into the profession. But besides that, especially senior year as I am, one should mostly dedicate their time to hanging out with friends, playing and listening to music, and enjoying life.

But hey, at least homework is more productive for someone than watching T.V.

I found this to be true in every area outside of math stuffs. I wish I wouldn't have spent so much time in Math classes copying my friends' homework. That little mistake led me to take 6 years to obtain a measly associates degree after high school. (Granted, a couple of these years were taken off to drink and smoke.)

I think high school time should be spent actually learning what they are trying to tell you (most of it...some subject areas are a little optional) and then you can do "something else" once you've got all of your basic smarts in place.

Gene, this sounds like a fun paper you're writing...I say enjoy it! There are plenty of boring things that students are put through. A paper on Wilco sounds like good times to me!

Guest Jules
Writing and reading can help you out quite a bit. Math you only need how to do Alegbra and science is bull if you are not going into the profession.

You'd be surprised how much you use math in daily life. You don't even realize it, but you do.

Along with the right to vote, education is one of the most underappreciated and underdeveloped privileges in America.

Very true. It's pretty awesome that they are giving knowledge away to kids across America for free..to girls even!

I know you need math, but you don't need to Calculus.

The defense of calculus--and all maths--is abstract: It forces your brain to think in new ways, and those brain muscles are useful in daily life. For example, you might never again do a geometric proof, but you will be forced to think logically. Math class is one of the places where those transferable skills are developed.

The defense of calculus--and all maths--is abstract: It forces your brain to think in new ways, and those brain muscles are useful in daily life. For example, you might never again do a geometric proof, but you will be forced to think logically. Math class is one of the places where those transferable skills are developed.

well said! Education isn't about learning what to think as much as how to think.

talk about the influences jay and leroy has on YHF, and talk about how nels influenced SBS.

or how yhf is the best album in existence and sbs is boring.

the latter opinion, i'm sure, will hold up well under academic scrutiny.

There was a great quote from "Die Another Day"

James Bond: "You're more clever than you look." (SBS)

R: "Better than looking more clever than you are." (YHF)

I don't want to make that such a blanket statement, but there are certain instances of relatively empty songs trying to be salvaged with a complicated production, and many songs on SBS that seem like they're such a breeze to play, yet have a lot of complexity to them.