5/8/77--30 years ago today

I took 5/8 to work yesterday. Listened to 5/7 Monday. 5/9 today! A good week, yes?

I've always thought the 1st set of 5/9 is my favorite of the 3...2nd set of 5/8...5/7 is solid w/ one of the finest Half-steps ever done. Playin'>Comes a Time>Playin' from 5/4! Those guys were really on top of it that week.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got that right. 77 was pretty intense. I'm more of a primal Dead kinda guy 68-74 to me is the best, but some of the 77 shows do have that similar intensity to them. There are some killer Playin'>Drums>Other One jams in spring 77 shows, as well as some great Terrapins even though that song was new at the time. And the versions of comes a time just floor me from that time period especially the 5-12 Chicago version. Amazing stuff.

You got that right. 77 was pretty intense. I'm more of a primal Dead kinda guy 68-74 to me is the best, but some of the 77 shows do have that similar intensity to them. There are some killer Playin'>Drums>Other One jams in spring 77 shows, as well as some great Terrapins even though that song was new at the time. And the versions of comes a time just floor me from that time period especially the 5-12 Chicago version. Amazing stuff.

That is what I like to listen to also - particularly the acoustic stuff.

That is what I like to listen to also - particularly the acoustic stuff.

oh yeah.....back in the days when they did an acoustic set, a NRPS set then an electric dead set...I'm sure you heard the Dicks Picks #8 5-2-70 Harper college there is some great acoustic versions of songs in the first set as well as some seriously rabid fans creating a lot of funny stage banter from Jerry and Pig Pen Just great great stuff

I quit buying that magazine last year some time - nothing but another magazine with a bunch of short articles + now they have features on what sandals one should buy.

I really like that verison of I Know You Rider.

Me too. I've tried to get guys that I used to play in a band with to do IKYR in that style, but they always thought it should be real 'jumpin'', or whatever...

I quit buying that magazine last year some time - nothing but another magazine with a bunch of short articles + now they have features on what sandals one should buy.

I'll pick up an issue here and there, but yeah, a lot of stuff crammed into each issue makes for a lot of smaller articles. And you should where Teva sandals in the summer as they're really flip-flops and really cheap ($18-20). That advice is free, too.

9/18/87 is a monster.

I was at that show. The first of three times I saw the Dead live. It was a pretty damned good show, as I recall.

I was at that show. The first of three times I saw the Dead live. It was a pretty damned good show, as I recall.

Nice!!! :thumbup '87 doesn't really translate to tape as well as some other years ( not alot of jamming ) but that year was the most fun evah! Jerry came back from the coma & the whole year was like one long celebration. That MSG run was huge.

The last time I saw the Dead at MSG (I think it was Sept of 92 a Rex Bnefit show) I was looking over this girls shoulder to see the set list she was writing. She turns around and gets in my face saying "back off or I'll fucking stab you". Only in NYC.....

• 8 years later...

Not sure a book is necessary, but thanks for upping this topic. This show is mind blowing. Maybe not the best ever, but it deserves it's seat at the table. Let's stop saying it's overrated. It is appropriately rated as one of the greatest creations in the history of mankind. 

There's a recent book by Howard Weiner, 'The Rise of Terrapin Nation' on the entire spring tour year. It (almost) ends with a visit, on 5 8 2007 to the Holy Ithacan Grail. His 6 cd selection includes that Morning Dew, The mother of r&r crescendos?

Edited by i'm only sleeping

There's a recent book by Howard Weiner, 'The Rise of Terrapin Nation' on the entire spring tour year. It (almost) ends with a visit, on 5 8 2007 to the Holy Ithacan Grail. His 6 cd selection includes that Morning Dew, The mother of r&r crescendos?

I'd still say that 5.8.77 Dew (crescendo and all) is rivaled by the '83 SPAC Dew (crescendo and all).....

Does anybody know why there isn't a soundboard of the June 18, 1983 SPAC show - the one that Lammy mentioned above with the Dew. There is few great audience recordings, which is fine with me - but just curious about the missing sbd. Is the show at least in the vault? Though I can't imagine that there are too many sbd's in the vault that having been leaked.