5/8/77--30 years ago today

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornell dug up the mastodon they found in my town a few years back. They took it with them back to Ithaca.

Dew!!! And i love when phil's phat bass comes in on scarlet. also, minglewood is such a goofy opener!

great news.

c

of course they put a photo with the article that is out of date with the show. the show is 77 and photo is def 80. should have a photo with donna and keith. makes you wonder how much jouralists really know what they are writing about when you really know the subject.

c

The most popular show to have in one's collection for a reason. This show never gets old. Even the "Take A Step Back" is fun.

This was also the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning. The show. It's happened often on May 8th over the years.

Always nice to see the boys get recognized for something.

I gotta be honest though, that Cornell show (while very good) to me is wayyyyyy overrated. It is amazingly clean and crisp sounding but for my money the shows in Boston and Buffalo that sandwich the 5-8 gig are much better. Also if you can check out the 5-11 and 5-12 shows. Parts of them are available on the deads web site in the tapers section, in mp3 format.

No offense at all to the famous Ithaca show but I never really figured out what all the fuss was about that one show. Check out as many of the other May 77 shows you can. There is some seriously sick jamming in later shows from that month.

5/8 isn't my favorite show of the year ( that would be 6/9 ). It isn't even my favorite show of the MONTH (that would be 5/19 ). BUT...that second set!

There were many raging ScarFires in the late 70's- early 80's. This one is the original recipe. It only had been introduced 6 weeks before (3/18), but it's definitely one of the best ever.

And I dare anyone here to show me a better post '74 Dew. If there is one I haven't heard it.

May '77 is a very special month for the GD. Not their most experimental, or trippiest music, but this is the GD at their most coherent. This must be what Bobby meant when he dubbed them " the Just Exactly Perfect Brothers Band". :thumbup

Ithica sounds cool! The only thing the City of Ottawa would commemorate is the day property taxes increased or the time USA Today named us the 11th most livable city in the world.

Ottawa - the city that fun forgot.

Always nice to see the boys get recognized for something.

I gotta be honest though, that Cornell show (while very good) to me is wayyyyyy overrated. It is amazingly clean and crisp sounding but for my money the shows in Boston and Buffalo that sandwich the 5-8 gig are much better. Also if you can check out the 5-11 and 5-12 shows. Parts of them are available on the deads web site in the tapers section, in mp3 format.

No offense at all to the famous Ithaca show but I never really figured out what all the fuss was about that one show. Check out as many of the other May 77 shows you can. There is some seriously sick jamming in later shows from that month.

coherent is the key word here. i think the band finally had an excellent mix in the monitors, donna was sitting back a bit, and they were just over keith. everything melded together. the sbd's of 77 and especially may so tight in this respect. i always picure myself sitting on stage looking up at bobby and garcia as they just play what the muses had already written. good stuff. fun to talk about. haven't done this for years!

what a great show, i disagree about the boston showq, its good but they speed through alot of the numbers.

2nd set is the keeper

And I dare anyone here to show me a better post '74 Dew. If there is one I haven't heard it.

OK, I'll admit I was kinda looking for a friendly little argument there. But guys & gals, surely someone would disagree. 5/22/77 ain't no slouch!

Also, thanks Reuben for the link! Hope that gets jumped on!

I won't get into a "better than" thing here, but the Dew from SPAC in 1983 is absolutely fierce and one of my all-time favorites. I've never heard a 'board quality of it, but that doesn't diminish the fierce-ness-icity.

I won't get into a "better than" thing here, but the Dew from SPAC in 1983 is absolutely fierce and one of my all-time favorites. I've never heard a 'board quality of it, but that doesn't diminish the fierce-ness-icity.

Yeah, you're right. Maybe not "better", but "favorite" would be a better way of saying it.

Never heard the '83 SPAC Dew ( a sorely under-represented year in my collection). 9/18/87 is a monster. The best I think I ever heard was an '88 Chicago show...blew the roof off the place in an otherwise meh show.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Forty years after the Summer of Love celebrated the free-living ways of the 1960s counterculture, bidders paid more than $1.1 million at auction on Tuesday for Grateful Dead memorabilia.

A cream-colored 1975 Travis Bean electric guitar belonging to the band's legendary, late lead guitar player, Jerry Garcia, brought in $312,000 in a brisk sale, auction house said.

Enthusiasts also bid $102,000 for an acoustic guitar and $39,000 for a Gibson electric guitar played by Garcia.

One of his leather guitar straps sold for $20,400, or four times its initial asking price, and his flight case filled with guitar picks, strings and other accessories sold for $16,800.

The auction house Bonhams and Butterfields held the auction in San Francisco on behalf of Rudson Shurtliff, son of Lawrence "Ram Rod" Shurtliff, the late road manager and president of the Grateful Dead's corporation.

Formed in the mid-1960s, the Grateful Dead were a San Francisco area legend who rose to fame as the city became a counterculture mecca. The band often gave free concerts, including several during the 1967 "Summer of Love" in which thousands with little money flocked to San Francisco.

"Overall it was a very good sale," said Margaret Barrett, director of the entertainment memorabilia department at Bonhams and Butterfields. "I think the bidders were excited."

MB: I've got a healthy dose of '83 in my collection, most comparable to some I've sent already....One of my favorite years. Save for a handful of shows, they seemed to be pretty tight.