Family of girl, 12, sues after 'Brokeback' shown in class

Yes. Young Americans aren't allowed to see buttf--king.

Really? You don't think it's kind of a big deal to show the movie to 12 year-olds? I guess I may have a conservative side...

Age-inappropriate? definitely. Suitworthy? only a lawyer would think so. Emotional distress? oy vey -- Jessica's parents need to get a grip.

Not picking on you but I thought it was funny when I read this line since they are both from NYC and are both controversial.

It's sort of like saying, "I play all kinds of music, country and western."

Yeah, I guess I phrased that poorly! I didn't cite Lee and Scorsese to suggest a spectrum; I merely wanted to offer two examples of filmmakers known for mature content.

I thought that the most interesting thing about Brokeback Mountain was the setup. After all the buddy-buddy, manly westerns that have been made, it is the logical next step to make one in which the guys have a relationship.

Other than that, I wasn't terribly impressed with the film. Heath Ledger was good. Anne Hathaway is good-looking. That's about it.

(I also think that the movie contained boobs just to make it slightly redeeming for guys.)

I thought that the most interesting thing about Brokeback Mountain was the setup. After all the buddy-buddy, manly westerns that have been made, it is the logical next step to make one in which the guys have a relationship.

Other than that, I wasn't terribly impressed with the film. Heath Ledger was good. Anne Hathaway is good-looking. That's about it.

(I also think that the movie contained boobs just to make it slightly redeeming for guys.)

I found the two lead male characters quite one dimensional and boring actually but then again I find Ledger and Gyllenhall like that in any movie. Of course, being set in the rural America of the 50's those guys should have been a little weatherbeaten and a little overweight and just not so damn pretty. Then again no one would have bought a ticket for that would they? The original premise of the story was quite bittersweet I thought.

Am I gay?

I think Brokeback is a fine movie, but for what possible purpose would it be shown to a class of 12-year-olds?

I haven't seen the movie, but that's what I was wondering too. No wonder kids these days are fucked..look what happens to them in school now...R rated movies, teachers trying to sleep with them, and the latest...being scared shitless thinking there is a gunman trying to kill them.

I found the two lead male characters quite one dimensional and boring actually but then again I find Ledger and Gyllenhall like that in any movie. Of course, being set in the rural America of the 50's those guys should have been a little weatherbeaten and a little overweight and just not so damn pretty. Then again no one would have bought a ticket for that would they? The original premise of the story was quite bittersweet I thought.

Am I gay?

I felt the same way before seeing it - and after.

Let's hug.

the absolute best part of that news article is one of the charges in the suit is for FALSE IMPRISONMENT! who HASN'T felt that way in a classroom at given times?

i don't think i'd ever show brokeback mountain in a classroom because there's nothing really merited in it for my discipline. i have shown eastwood's Unforgiven to a class where the youngest person was 17, but that was for a legitimate educational objective in a night school course. i've also used evil dead II when prefacing a unit on shakespeare (again, night school). i'm showing brazil in my anthropology class today and that's going swimmingly. there's no buttflicking in that film.

the absolute best part of that news article is one of the charges in the suit is for FALSE IMPRISONMENT! who HASN'T felt that way in a classroom at given times?

i don't think i'd ever show brokeback mountain in a classroom because there's nothing really merited in it for my discipline. i have shown eastwood's Unforgiven to a class where the youngest person was 17, but that was for a legitimate educational objective in a night school course. i've also used evil dead II when prefacing a unit on shakespeare (again, night school). i'm showing brazil in my anthropology class today and that's going swimmingly. there's no buttflicking in that film.

Unforgiven is infinitely better than Brokeback Mountain. It's not even my opinion. It's pure fact.

Note: I do also think that most of Clint's movies are kind of crappy.

Note: I do also think that most of Clint's movies are kind of crappy.

Have you not seen Paint Your Wagon? :stunned

I had the pleasure of seeing Olivia Hussey's boobs in Franco Zefirelli's Romeo & Juliet in class at least twice by the end of my sophomore year, thanks to R&J being part of freshman English in Texas and sophomore English in Virginia. I don't think anyone minded, but I'm pretty sure we had to sign permission slips both times.

We saw this in school in 7th or 8th grade (and no permission slips). Oh man, the guys could not stop talking about Olivia Hussey for months afterward.

When I saw that in school - someone asked the teacher if there was going to be nudity in the film. She said that you cannot love someone in bed with your clothes on.

:lol

Speaking of Olivia Hussey, I watched the original Black Christmas last week. She was the best thing about it.