I go back and forth between this and Andrew Bird's record for my #1

Andrew is my #2 as well, but Boxer is definitely above it. those are the only 2 that stand well above the rest for me this year though :)

Neon Bible, LCD, Dino Jr, David Vandervelde, Wilco, etc. are all close behind.

No doubt: This record has been the soundtrack for my Spring this year; (a little dark for the season, I'll grant you).

Drums are amazing. Try nailing that pattern in "Mistaken for Strangers", it's tough!

Love everything about "Apartment Story".

Raise our heavenly glasses to the heavens! Squalor Victoria! Squalor Victoria!

Try singing those lyrics out loud next time you've someone riding along with you. You get one of those "what the hell?" looks. :shifty

yep, best of the year so far.

i am going to see them at the end of the month. they are doing a five night stint at the bowery ballroom in NYC. all five shows sold out. i think the band might finally break out, as Alligator raised their profile considerably.

not only is the musicianship impeccable, but there are so many cool lyrical snippets in the songs.

"...You

I have to say, I find the lyrics to be somewhat lacking. Overall they are pretty good, but everyonce in a while I'll hear something that just makes me go "What?"

Like when they go "Homosezwhut?"

I have to say, I find the lyrics to be somewhat lacking. Overall they are pretty good, but everyonce in a while I'll hear something that just makes me go "What?"

yeah?

i think they're pretty myself... sometimes they're a bit more obscure or dark, but it's not total stream of unconsciousness/meaningless like Interpol at least.

"You were always weird but I never had to hold you by the edges like I do now." One of my favorite lines of the year.