Zappa Appreciation Thread

During a set break, I got to hang with Don for a beer & I told him "Thanks for being such an important part of my severely twisted life" to which he just smiled slyly & said "Glad to be of service!"

This reminds me of a story I read online about someone who met FZ. He told him he had all his albums, to which Frank smiled and replied, "Well, then you're permanently contaminated." :lol

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw his SNL appearances up on a BT site recently - I don't recall where though.

That's a classic! "Night on Freak Mountain"....Belushi as Windowpane Watson. :stunned

I just saw his SNL appearances up on a BT site recently - I don't recall where though.

hmm. they're not on demonoid, but there is a BBC documentary up there. I might have to grab that.

I LOVE FRANK ZAPPA! he was one of the best music composers of our time. my very fave is Joe's Garage. I'm kind of short on words because I'm finishing up at work to go on vacation next week, but I always thought it might be fun to be a crew slut!

hmm. they're not on demonoid, but there is a BBC documentary up there. I might have to grab that.

I have that on VHS - taped in off of A&E - it was part of their Biography series. I probably saw it on either dime a dozen or Tape (Boot) City.

I LOVE FRANK ZAPPA! he was one of the best music composers of our time. my very fave is Joe's Garage. I'm kind of short on words because I'm finishing up at work to go on vacation next week, but I always thought it might be fun to be a crew slut!

so be a crew slut (hey you'll love it)

be a crew slut (it's a way of life)

don't make a fuss just get on the bus.......

so be a crew slut (hey you'll love it)

be a crew slut (it's a way of life)

don't make a fuss just get on the bus.......

Of COURSE I'll introduce you to Warren! :lol

just add water, makes it's own sauce!

Oh yeah, I remember you...you were the girl that was stuck to seat 38 on Phydeaux III. :cheekkiss

I was not at work today so didn't see this. I became a big Zappa fan in the 60s, when my friend Diane used to sing Brown Shoes Don't Make it and I started listening to the first albums on Verve. I bought everything I could during college (late 60s and early 70s) and continued to buy all his albums to a certain point in the 80s when I could no longer keep up. I still own lots of them, nearly all on vinyl and have picked up some of the odd LPs I don't have in recent years used.

I saw Zappa three times only. (I was relatively poor during my youth). I saw the Live at the Filmore era band in Columbus Ohio (Flo and Eddie) for the outrageous amount of $5.50 for a seat on the floor of some theater there. That was the show of a lifetime and one of greatest shows I ever saw. I then saw the Ike Willis band in the mid 70s at the Auditorium Theater and Zappa solo (with band) at the UIC Pavillion maybe in the late 70s. All were great but the first was clearly the best.

Zappa was one of the greats. I don't listen to him much anymore, but I used to have the first few Verve's and stuff like Live at the Filmore and some of the others memorized. I really like Hot Rats a ton and some of the early solo work like Waka Jawaka are fantastic.

LouieB

Louie, you're a lucky dog to have seen him that many times. I guess if you had Live at the Fillmore East memorized, then the phrase "The Mud Shark Dancing Lesson" rings a bell. Heh.

I have gone through phases where I didn't listen to him much, and then I suddenly binge on it to no end, usually to some "unauthorized" live recordings (mountainbed knows what I'm talkin' about). He was definitely one of the greats, especially for the guitar. Funny how he's not known all that well as a composer, since R & R paid his mortgage.

He makes a good avatar, too. :lol

Louie, you're a lucky dog to have seen him that many times. I guess iif you had Live at the Fillmore East memorized, then the phrase "The Mud Shark Dancing Lesson" rings a bell. Heh.

I have gone through phases where I didn't listen to him much, and then I suddenly binge on it to no end, usually to some "unauthorized" live recordings (mountainbed knows what I'm talkin' about). He was definitely one of the greats, especially for the guitar. Funny how he's not known all that well as a composer, since R & R paid his mortgage.

He makes a good avatar, too. :lol

Yea..one of the greats for sure. Yes I had the entire script for that album memorized...thought it was the funniest goddam thing ever. Haven't listened to it in years however.

I can't see seeing the Dweezil tour, just seems too gratuitous. I mean Dweezil needs to pay the bills too, but Frank was such a monster on guitar.

Truely the Flo and Eddie show was one of the most amazing things ever, yea, they were fun, but when Frank cranked out a solo in the middle of stuff, I had never seen anything like that before up to that point in my life. Even with hearing the records, which were somewhat different, didn't prepare me for what a virtuoso he was.

Seeing 200 Motels (when it first came out) under the influence, was an experience too....(I know Frank would not have approved, but I was young and foolish.)

I know we have talked about this stuff before, but Frank utilized a musical language that most of use were not exposed to as teens (even having heard VU and other more avant type rockers), Zappa was totally different than CSNY and a bunch of other stuff we were all listening to. Not only was Frank perhaps the greatest exponent of European art music, he also was a savage social critic. Even to this day I suppose more than anyone else he influenced my thought..

LouieB

Seeing 200 Motels (when it first came out) under the influence, was an experience too....(I know Frank would not have approved, but I was young and foolish.)

LouieB

An 'experience' to be sure! :lol Easily one of the most far-out things I've ever seen.

....it's me, I'm back, the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER....

As you can see, music can get you pretty fucked up....Take a tip from Joe, do like he did, hock your imaginary guitar & get a good job....Joe did...and he's a happy guy now, on the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully-charged icing anointment utensil...

And every time a nice little muffin comes by on the belt, he poots forth...

Note to you kids: Realize that imaginary guitar notes & imaginary vocals exist only in the imagination of the Imaginer...and ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway? :heehee

Who gives a fuck anyway?

• 1 month later...

I'm late on this one... but just like to say that Zappa is on my short list of greatest men to ever live. Have every album, and since there is so much material, I feel like I haven't even begun to fully realize his importance to the music business in my 23 short years of existence.

Watermelon in Easter Hay has brought me to tears.