Living Room Concerts with Jeff

Hey there. Those of you who've organized or been to the living room concerts that Jeff has done, I have some questions.

1) How much does it cost?

2) He does them if the money's donated to charity, right?

3) How many people typically buy in?

4) Do you contact his booking agents or TMM?

5) Do you have to provide transportation, food and diet coke?

I think that's all I got for now...hope this isn't somewhere else and I'm adding an unnecessary topic.

Thanks!

Hey there. Those of you who've organized or been to the living room concerts that Jeff has done, I have some questions.

1) How much does it cost?

2) He does them if the money's donated to charity, right?

3) How many people typically buy in?

4) Do you contact his booking agents or TMM?

5) Do you have to provide transportation, food and diet coke?

I think that's all I got for now...hope this isn't somewhere else and I'm adding an unnecessary topic.

Thanks!

1. No set price; this is an auction, so it depends on who is bidding. Last year I think the shows raised a total of something like $56,000.

2. Again, all of the shows discussed here have been the result of a specific auction at a specific December charity event (Letters to Santa), offered generously by Jeff and Susan for the past three years. None were randomly commissioned.

3) The auction specifies the number of people the show is for. The first year it was 20, the past two years it has been 30.

4) Specific contact details have typically been arranged with the winners at the auction.

5) There's no rider, but any and all of the above have been provided in the past.

There are many threads in the archives about the individual shows and also the Letters to Santa event itself, if you'd like to read more discussion.

1. No set price; this is an auction, so it depends on who is bidding. Last year I think the shows raised a total of something like $56,000.

2. Again, all of the shows discussed here have been the result of a specific auction at a specific December charity event (Letters to Santa), offered generously by Jeff and Susan for the past three years. None were randomly commissioned.

3) The auction specifies the number of people the show is for. The first year it was 20, the past two years it has been 30.

4) Specific contact details have typically been arranged with the winners at the auction.

5) There's no rider, but any and all of the above have been provided in the past.

There are many threads in the archives about the individual shows and also the Letters to Santa event itself, if you'd like to read more discussion.

Thank you!

So does anyone want to start gathering together to raise some money? $56,000 is an awful lot of cash to drum up...

Also, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that all of these shows have happened in the Chicago area, and it's probably reasonable to assume that any future shows will happen in or around Chicago. Obviously I can't speak for Jeff and Sue on this, but I think I'm right about past shows, anyway.

Well, I'm just outside of Chicago, so that may not be a problem.

So about $18 - 20,000 per show?

more reasonable, for sure.

I believe the three shows each pitched in $17,500 this year. If you do your math, you can figure out what that averages out to per person. In our group, some people contributed a bit more to that total and some a bit less, depending on personal resources.

Also, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that all of these shows have happened in the Chicago area, and it's probably reasonable to assume that any future shows will happen in or around Chicago. Obviously I can't speak for Jeff and Sue on this, but I think I'm right about past shows, anyway.

I think that the show will be in the Chicago area is part of the deal.

There is no guarantee that Jeff/Sue will do one or more of them this or any other year, but I do know that they genuinely enjoy them. Unless they are the worlds biggest fakers (not to mention sellouts).

Guest ChooChooCharlie
I'll come play in your living room for diet cokes? :stunned

Do you think we could get some money together and have The Tweedys come hang out and listen to US play?? I can whip up some of my famous tuna dip and rent a Volkswagen to transport our guests to and fro... :D

Do you think we could get some money together and have The Tweedys come hang out and listen to US play?? I can whip up some of my famous tuna dip and rent a Volkswagen to transport our guests to and fro... :D

If you can pull this off, I call tambourine. Not that I have the slightest sense of rhythm. B)

Guest ChooChooCharlie
If you can pull this off, I call tambourine. Not that I have the slightest sense of rhythm. B)

If Tracy Partridge can do it, YOU can do it! :D

Guest ChooChooCharlie
I'm thinking we should all pitch in buy jeff a plane ticket to Miami and we'll do the show in my house. We've got a big open living room with high cielings.

Even better, I am an airline employee and can provide this for free...Of course, my contribution would exempt me from further financial obligation :)

Guest ChooChooCharlie

Ya Know...I'm only HALF kidding on this one..Come on, I can't possibly be the only musician here who's Rock N' Roll dream includes reciprocated enthusiasm from the artists they listen to and admire the most. I wouldn't exactly expect any 3rd encore requests or anything, but shit..In the name of charity, you'd at least expect your hero to be polite.:) Anything for the kids who need of a little Christmas..right?? :yes

and it's probably reasonable to assume that any future shows will happen in or around Chicago

Just to mention this beforehand :brow: If there should ever be the chance of an European living room show (I know I know, but I can dream, can't I :upset?!), the venue is my living room. No discussions about this, please :nono Food & drinks free. :w00t

Ya Know...I'm only HALF kidding on this one..Come on, I can't possibly be the only musician here who's Rock N' Roll dream includes reciprocated enthusiasm from the artists they listen to and admire the most. I wouldn't exactly expect any 3rd encore requests or anything, but shit..In the name of charity, you'd at least expect your hero to be polite.:) Anything for the kids who need of a little Christmas..right?? :yes

Well, our group didn't play FOR him, but we did play WITH him.

He was more than polite. He seemed to have fun. He even came back two years in a row. Yes, we did have to win the auction both times, but the second time, at Jeff's request, there was no solo set. Instead we played together all night, and nearly everyone at ths show got a chance to get up and play. It was AWESOME!

http://web.mac.com/smfolk/iWeb/Site/Imposs...ton%202007.html

He was totally cool about it and seemed to enjoy playing music with other people who love to play music.

and let me just call dibs RIGHT NOW on a crazy new england living room show. The cats are already pooling their allowance. they are so excited and are putting together a few song and dance routines, just in case Jeff would like to take them on the road.

:thumbup

Guest ChooChooCharlie
Well, our group didn't play FOR him, but we did play WITH him.

He was more than polite. He seemed to have fun. He even came back two years in a row. Yes, we did have to win the auction both times, but the second time, at Jeff's request, there was no solo set. Instead we played together all night, and nearly everyone at ths show got a chance to get up and play. It was AWESOME!

http://web.mac.com/smfolk/iWeb/Site/Imposs...ton%202007.html

He was totally cool about it and seemed to enjoy playing music with other people who love to play music.

This is the COOOOLLLEEEESSSTTTTTT!!! I am so beyond in your group next year if you'll have me.:) I only briefly looked at the link as I am having some computer issues right now, but that must have been soooooo much fun!!

My living room show though, he needs to sit quietly on the sofa with a candy cane and some virgin egg nog and give his fans his full attention. When we are all through paying homage by playing our own Tweedy inspired tunes, then of course, he takes over. Consider it more like a musical Roast, without Dean Martin or the Don Rickles like zingers to rib our guest of honor...

Guest ChooChooCharlie
and let me just call dibs RIGHT NOW on a crazy new england living room show. The cats are already pooling their allowance. they are so excited and are putting together a few song and dance routines, just in case Jeff would like to take them on the road.

:thumbup

I'm trying to find that smiley where the guy is dying laughing on the floor, but, like I said in the last post, my computer is acting up..PHAAAAAA HAAAAAAA :D

Maybe instead of doing a solo tour, he should do a charity auctioned living room tour. He could say I want to play in these cities, and then there would be auctions for those cities, and the top thirty bidders would get to go to the show they bidded on!!!!!