Beastie Boys- The Mix Up

I was pretty psyched about this but I may be feeling let down now...not sure. I've listened to it through a few times while in the car and only a couple of tracks have really stood out for me. Overall, it is pretty sweet...will be good for boozey get-togethers.

I was pretty psyched about this but I may be feeling let down now...

I had the exact opposite direction...I really like this a lot more than I thought I would. Some of these tunes have a groove so thick you could put it over your mashed potatos.

Apples & Oranges...Paul's had a gazillion samples on it, this has none. :monkey

I know. It's still better than this and anything they've done.

But it's also better than most things anyone else has done too, so they shouldn't feel bad.

But Paul's Boutique is currently rocking in my car's cd player. They can't touch that one.

Ill Communication pisses all over Paul's Boutique imo.

This new one is pretty good on first listen though, the first track especially is fantastic.

I know. It's still better than this and anything they've done. But it's also better than most things anyone else has done too, so they shouldn't feel bad.

I hear what you're saying and can't really disagree. I was just saying that it's not really easy to compare the two. Personally, I thought Check Your Head came close to Paul's and thinking of that album in the context of talking about this one, this would have been even better w/ a few choice turntable moments and a side of rhymes.

Promising thing is, this shows they've still got the instrumental chops to put something like that together again should they decide to. Until then, this is some fine Summertime headphone lounge on the deck or BBQ tuneage. Me most definitely likey.

What's interesting is they're now covering Jimmy Smith's "Root Down (And Get It)" in concert - which they'd sampled for "Root Down" 13 years ago. Someone could write a dissertation for grad school or something based on that.

i'm still unsure about it. it's fun to drive around with it on, but how long will that last? it doesn't stop threatening to be muzak, but it never goes there. i don't know if no-vocals is a good idea or a brave one, it's a little puzzling right now.

I second that.

Yeah, I could see how this would get boring to some...especially to those who are more of a fan of the hip-hop stuff. Personally, I dig listening to the occasional instrumental album varying from Sean Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra to Los Straitjackets to Man or Astroman?...this has elements of all of those w/ that trademark Beastie's brand of deep dish funk thrown in for good measure.

I mean, I hope this isn't a permanent change in direction but (like I said earlier) a harbringer of that turntable/organic hybrid sound from CYH.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just adding this here rather than start a new thread. Hopefully it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere already....

I, like so many Beastie fans, have spent many late nights tossing and turning in bed, pondering the question, "Where did they get that freakin' "d*ck in the mashed potatoes" sample!?" Well, now I can sleep easy because here is the answer. Woo-hoo!! :D

I'm just adding this here rather than start a new thread. Hopefully it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere already....I, like so many Beastie fans, have spent many late nights tossing and turning in bed, pondering the question, "Where did they get that freakin' "d*ck in the mashed potatoes" sample!?" Well, now I can sleep easy because here is the answer. Woo-hoo!! :D

All right!!!! Thanks!

I'm disappointed in this album. I don't think Adrock was up to the challenge. The songs seem very one dimensional in terms of dynamic range and tempo. It doesn't sound like they're having fun. I had high hopes since their instrumental material from Check Your Head and Ill Communication impressed me.

I'm disappointed in this album. I don't think Adrock was up to the challenge. The songs seem very one dimensional in terms of dynamic range and tempo. It doesn't sound like they're having fun. I had high hopes since their instrumental material from Check Your Head and Ill Communication impressed me.

I think I agree with you. I liked it at first, but as time as gone on its had no staying power.