Seconded. They really are a treasure and you won't regret it for a minute when you hear those voices.
Personally I agree, but if you don't like waltz time mountain music you won't like Freakwater. I happen to like it, so I like them alot.

LouieB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don't like waltz time mountain music you won't like Freakwater.

Who doesn't like waltz time mountain music?!? I have never heard Freakwater, but this description intrigues me.

Who doesn't like waltz time mountain music?!? I have never heard Freakwater, but this description intrigues me.

Their songs can be thought of mostly consiting of:

murder ballads

dead child songs

women who beat men at their own game songs

I think Feels Like The Third Time is still my favorite - it was the first one I bought.

Also - Max Johnston was in Freakwater for a time and even has a song on Springtime.

Self-Titled (Amoeba Records, 1989) (good luck - I have never seen this anywhere)

Dancing Underwater (Thrill Jockey, reissued 1998)

Feels Like the Third Time (Thrill Jockey, 1994)

June 6, 1994 (Glitterhouse, 1995) (good luck - I have never seen this anywhere)

Old Paint (Thrill Jockey, 1995, Wiederver

I think Feels Like The Third Time is still my favorite - it was the first one I bought.

Also - Max Johnston was in Freakwater for a time and even has a song on Springtime.

It was my first one too, but I like the others as well. Both of the solo albums by them are good as well. We talked about this in some thread a few years back. I like Old Paint very much too.

LouieB

Yeah. There's the incredible "Binding Twine" on that one... (not that it's Johnston's one, which is called "Harlan"). By the way, did anyone know Max is Michelle Shocked's brother?

I know many folks don't dig the "alt country" label but I'm curious what other bands come to mind....

other than

Gram Parsons

Neil Young

Bruce Springsteen (some of his songs)

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Ryan Adams

Also, one of my favorites even before I knew I liked this genre was Elvis Costello's Almost Blue (1981, I think; did this have any influence at all in this evolution?).

Mucho thanks.

:yes

When I used try to describe Alt Country to people, I called it roots rock with (sometimes) traditional country instrumentation (i.e. steel guitars, mandolins, and violins). Or maybe, rock songs sung in an unironic fashion with a southern drawl

We've really gone through some interesting attempts to describe this thing:

Country Rock

Southern Rock

Cow Punk

Alt Country

Ya'll ternative

I suggest we come up with our own name for the genre...I suggest Crowmusic

When I used try to describe Alt Country to people, I called it roots rock with (sometimes) traditional country instrumentation (i.e. steel guitars, mandolins, and violins). Or maybe, rock songs sung in an unironic fashion with a southern drawl

We've really gone through some interesting attempts to describe this thing:

Country Rock

Southern Rock

Cow Punk

Alt Country

Ya'll ternative

I suggest we come up with our own name for the genre...I suggest Crowmusic

Gram Parsons called it Cosmic American Music.

Gram Parsons called it Cosmic American Music.

lol

And Basically Gram Parsons was a very traditional country artist in his solo works.

I was gonna try for a serious attempt to arrive at a consensus on a name, but I have been here long enough to know what I would happen.

But from now on...it will be refered to as crowmusic.

lol

And Basically Gram Parsons was a very traditional country artist in his solo works.

I was gonna try for a serious attempt to arrive at a consensus on a name, but I have been here long enough to know what I would happen.

But from now on...it will be refered to as crowmusic.

I think I read somewhere that what he wanted was a mix of R&B/country/rock.

Someone once described alt-country as country music performed by and for Democrats. Which I think is the best description I've heard.

Nah...it ain't about politics just as it's no longer about the South.

Country Music was originally the rural white's blues: The blending of the Scots Irish folk tradition with the music from across the tracks.

You listen to Jimmy Rodgers and Hank Williams then listen to Muddy Waters and Elmore James. These guys shared a life of hard work and poverty.

Patterson Hood has said it best:

To the fucking rich man all poor people look the same.

if you are gonna call alt-country, country music played by and for democrats, then what the hell have i been listening to for the last 18-20 years?

We're going to call you the exception that proves the rule. Or something.

His stepdad was a FLA fruit mogul. Lots of money. Gram also went to Harvard for a spell.

Parsons was born Cecil Ingram Connor, III in Winter Haven, Florida, the grandson of citrus fruit magnate John Snively, with extensive properties both there and in Waycross, Georgia, where he was raised. A sister, "Little" Avis, soon followed. His father, "Coon Dog" Connor, suffered mood swings and abruptly committed suicide two days before Christmas Day 1958. Gram's mother Avis subsequently married Bob Parsons, whose surname was adopted by young Ingram, the elder Parsons going as far to have new birth certificates drawn up for his stepson and stepdaughter. Henceforth he would be known as Gram Parsons. Parsons attended the prestigious Bolles School in Jacksonville, FL. For a time, the family found a stability of sorts until Avis rapidly descended into alcoholism, leading to her death from cirrhosis.