New Grateful Dead Release

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the deal is since Rhino took over. I have heard various reports that some of the guys in the band don't like the direction that has been taken (going with Rhino) but that's just rumor and to my knowledge has not been proven.

I also heard there may have been issues with the Garcia estate causing trouble with the rest of the surviving members, etc, etc. I wouldn't want a glut of cheezy shit coming out but would like it back in the DP days. Have 3-4 really good releases a year coming out on a sort of regular basis. There was talk of another deluxe box set coming out like the Fillmore of a complete run of shows from Winterland back in 73 but this seems to have been shelved.

Didn't Rhino put out all the re-mastered stuff (studio albums), the Rhein show, the '69 Fillmore, most of the box sets? Plus, it hasn't been a year yet since Rhino took over the material.

ed.

Rhino catalog:

http://www.rhino.com/store/ArtistCatalog.l...Grateful%20Dead

They were releasing stuff - but then, they were lincensed or (whatever it is) everything that has to do with running the GD music/merchandise, as well as the vault. At least, that is what I recall reading. According to that Relix inteview with David Lemieux from a few years ago, there was all sorts of stuff ready to go.

None as far as I can tell. I cannot see a day that will come when everybody who wants music gets it from their computer. I don

Yeah I used to listen to GD radio, never sounded too good on crappy computer speakers though. I try to catch The Dead Head Hour when it's on here in Nashville but they always have it on kinda late. I should be glad they have it at all you never hear the Dead on Nashville radio stations and when you do it's always "Truckin'" or "Uncle John's Band"

if anyone is interested David Gans (deadhead hour guy) has created a sound montage with video of the three from the vault that is to be released

disc1

disc2

Some nice snippets from the upcoming release

if anyone is interested David Gans (deadhead hour guy) has created a sound montage with video of the three from the vault that is to be released

disc1

disc2

Some nice snippets from the upcoming release

He did something like that for the NYE show also. I guess he must still be involved with them - as he gets stuff for his show. That was a wild deal in that one book about people waiting until he was on his honeymoon, taking tapes from his house to copy, and then returning them.

I had a friend who used to have a GD program on the radio in Indy. It put the DeadHour to shame imo. Saturday nights 1AM-6AM, nothing but FULL Dead shows (usually SBDs), and the occasional Phish or SCI show. I stayed up every Saturday night from '00 through '03 or so & got hundreds of hours of killer stuff. You Indy folks know what I'm talking about.

I use to have dreams of getting everything they put out - but I gave up on that.

It would be a wise investment.

Well - mainly - it was buying some of the 90s era live releases and releasing I did not care for what I was hearing. Plus - I just don't blow money on cds like I use to. It has to be something I will listen to - I have cds that I have never listened to or only listened to once.

If any of you dudes get that DP book - maybe you could loan it to me at some point.

Well - mainly - it was buying some of the 90s era live releases and releasing I did not care for what I was hearing. Plus - I just don't blow money on cds like I use to. It has to be something I will listen to - I have cds that I have never listened to or only listened to once.

If any of you dudes get that DP book - maybe you could loan it to me at some point.

I'll be glad to. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to "Easy Wind" from Three From The Vault

Moving forward a few years, to 6/24/73 in Portland, Oregon, is the second set jam of Dark Star>Eyes of the World>China Doll (MP3 67.58MB), a perfect 1973 jam. This little summer tour of 1973 (Vancouver on 6/22 through to Universal Amphitheatre on 7/1) is often overlooked due to the magnificent quality of the February-April shows, and the October-December 1973 run of perfection, but there was plenty of excellent music played on this short tour. We

I'm really looking forward to this release, as I know it will be an upgrade from the current source in my collection. I also wish they would resume the Dick's Pick's series and the monthly download releases also.

Anyone get it? I've listened to it twice now and it's a pretty decent listen. Killer blues jam in the middle of Smokestack Lightning, and the Bird Song is pretty good as well. If memory serves that was the 1st time they did it (or maybe the second)

Anyways........Nice to have a high quality recording of this show

yeah....I had read that back a few years ago in vol 1 of the Deadheads Taping Compendium when it came out. They offered no reason why it was shelved. I am pretty disapointed with Rhino though. They haven't been releasing nearly enough stuff. Just the 76 NYE show and this....hopefully they will release more stuff. At least I can get a weekly helping of vault stuff on the tapers section at their website. Lemieux puts out a lot of decent stuff there.