New Grateful Dead Release

What took 'em so long? From The Vault series #3 Port Chester 2-19-71. This is a killer show. I had a Sbd of it but....well you know it sorta walked off. Heres a link to the Dead store. I guess it comes out June 26. Says if you order in the month of June you get Dick's Dex, some kind of index to all 36 vols of the DP series.

Was wondering if they would ever continue the vault series.

right here

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just over on the site an hour ago checking that out. I've got the analogs of this run (the one being released is night #2 of four nghts). Lots of "firsts" during this run. The night here features the first "Birdsong" and the first "Deal" and they were also doing the ESP experiments during this one and 1-2 of the others. The experiment involved dreams and esp and projecting thoughts to a focus group somewhere else in NY, if I recall.

Sounds great. Not sure how well the ESP experiments would translate to an audio recording, tho. :unsure We'd need audio footnotes or something. (What you're hearing right now is the sound of Jerry thinking of a cheeseburger...) :lol

Yeah a great great run of shows. I love "primal Dead" you know 1967-1974. Though I love the jazzy period 73-74 I friggin' love 71 for some reason. They didn't space out as much but I dig the way their sound was evolving back then. 71 is an underappreciated year and kind of hard to get anything decent from. I'm sure I'll pre-order this sometime next week.

They need to bring Dick's Pick's back

Sounds great. Not sure how well the ESP experiments would translate to an audio recording, tho. :unsure We'd need audio footnotes or something. (What you're hearing right now is the sound of Jerry thinking of a cheeseburger...) :lol

Yeah that and a chili dog and a pack of Camel Un-filtered :w00t

Yeah a great great run of shows. I love "primal Dead" you know 1967-1974. Though I love the jazzy period 73-74 I friggin' love 71 for some reason. They didn't space out as much but I dig the way their sound was evolving back then. 71 is an underappreciated year and kind of hard to get anything decent from. I'm sure I'll pre-order this sometime next week.

The transition stuff in '73-'74 was phenomenal (think: China->Rider, Weather Report Suite, etc.). Here Comes Sunshine back then is one of my favorites, as well.

The transition stuff in '73-'74 was phenomenal (think: China->Rider, Weather Report Suite, etc.). Here Comes Sunshine back then is one of my favorites, as well.

Oh yeah, love the WRS especially the let it grow part. That jam before the last verse....there are some killer ones out there. I'm sure you are aware on their site they have a place called "Tapers Section" and they pretty much always have some killer tunes in there to download. They are MP3 but still sound pretty great. Lemieux always puts up killer 70's stuff there.

Yes, I've been downloading each and every tune since December. Makes a great place to go to on the iPod for various great recordings/cuts.

Exactly.....same here

I wonder if Healy will get a check?

Beautiful Jam - Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY, 2/18/71 - I always listen to this when I listen to the So Many Roads Boxset.

I doubt it....If memory serves there was some bitterness when he left/got booted out

and oh yes that jam is very sweet

I doubt it....If memory serves there was some bitterness when he left/got booted out

and oh yes that jam is very sweet

There is some brief discussion of his outing in that GD gear book - which echoes what some have said on here before - he was nasty to Bob, opening bands, and was aparently out of it.

It makes sense that he was paid for that work long ago.

There is some brief discussion of his outing in that GD gear book - which echoes what some have said on here before - he was nasty to Bob, opening bands, and was aparently out of it.

It makes sense that he was paid for that work long ago.

That book was pretty cool, lot of interesting tid-bits in there.

Yeah thats the one with that shit-hot hard to handle right?

You are correct, sir. It's also the one that really is the gold standard for AUD recordings (at least from that early time frame).

I know I'll have to get this. I have no choice, ya know? :stunned

You are correct, sir. It's also the one that really is the gold standard for AUD recordings (at least from that early time frame).

I know I'll have to get this. I have no choice, ya know? :stunned

Was wondering when you would see this post. Yeah, I love listening to that tape...what is it, after the first song you can hear Bobby tellin' the guy to move back a bit from the stage because he will get a better recording...or something like that.

Also It has been stated that apparently in the midst of that incredible jam Jerry was so taken he actually fell to his knees as he was wailing that out.

I'm pretty much a sucker for these kinds of releases, hell I would subscribe to them if they ever had that option.

I like the DP stuff and the Vault stuff but I'd like to see/hear them put more stuff out that is hard-to-get and/or poor quality. A lot of the stuff put out is material that is already pretty popular among traders and already decent and better sound quality.

I like the DP stuff and the Vault stuff but I'd like to see/hear them put more stuff out that is hard-to-get and/or poor quality. A lot of the stuff put out is material that is already pretty popular among traders and already decent and better sound quality.

Yeah I hear that. I agree. Personally I would love as much 67-70 stuff I could get. That DP (not sure which#) from the King's Beach Bowl Lake Tahoe was friggin great stuff. Not the best sounding but.......early Proto-Dead at it's finest!

I use to have dreams of getting everything they put out - but I gave up on that. I think the last cd I bought was Ladies and Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead: Fillmore East, NYC, April 1971. I may get this new one - I also may get Steppin Out' and Rockin' the Rhein at some point.

I use to have dreams of getting everything they put out - but I gave up on that. I think the last cd I bought was Ladies and Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead: Fillmore East, NYC, April 1971. I may get this new one - I also may get Steppin Out' and Rockin' the Rhein at some point.

Rockin' the Rhein flat out smokes....How's this for crazy? Darkstar > Me And My Uncle > Darkstar it works as odd as it sounds

The Fillmore set is also really good Kick ass Truckin' on it. Bobby dissolves into laughter at one point in the song and kind of flubs the lyric

The thing that pisses me off is ever since Rhino took over the catelog, the releases have slowed to a total crawl. And what happened to that great Download Series they had going?? One killer show every month or so. Guess Rhino put the kabash on that too.