New Grateful Dead Release

Who knows for sure? There seems to have been ( still is) a lot of discontent with the boys these last few years. Apparently Weir and Lesh do not see eye to eye.....kind of a bummer, I don't know who is making the decisions these days. I would like to think they would keep the DP's going but it's been about what 2 years since vol 36 came out?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too - actually, it's about the only version of the band I care to listen to. I think it is because several of the songs on this disc are new - and it's just weird to hear a 5 minute Playing In The Band. I will say that there is some interesting slide going on during the Pigpen blues numbers.

Me too - actually, it's about the only version of the band I care to listen to. I think it is because several of the songs on this disc are new - and it's just weird to hear a 5 minute Playing In The Band. I will say that there is some interesting slide going on during the Pigpen blues numbers.

It is because of the 'newness' of some of the material, but other factors also:

1) these were the very first shows after Mickey left--I would assume it took Billy some time to get back to being the only drummer (first time since Fall '67)

2) Jer was on record as saying that the sound they were going for at the time was that of a 'shoot-em-up, RXR bar band'. (Skullfuck, recorded in early '71 captures this idea). Really, imo '71 & '87 are two of the years that are a little light on mind-blowing improv..but as soon as Kieth joined in Fall '71 they really got into the jazzy Dead that we love.

The Port Chester run were the ESP shows. I don't know how 'successful' that idea was, but it sure was an interesting idea.

The shows on Skullfuck and Ladies and Gentlemen... are much better than this I would say. I think it is all those factors you mentioned - plus, maybe they were just having an off night.

For my money the early 70's were the best GD has ever been. Not to say I don't love almost every chapter of the band, just I am partial to the sound from that period. :worship

I agree, I don't really enjoy listening to anything past 1980, therefore almost don't ever, except on occassion I listen to bits of some of the shows I attended in the early 90's.

I'm in that same camp...I rarely listen to post 1980 (ok really 1977) Dead.

I like this show even if it isn't as spacey as 72-74 stuff.

This time period (end of 69 through 71) has been referred to as the "stop and turn on a dime" phase of their career. I like the Playin'. Sure it doesn't go out into deep space but it's kinda neat how it just sort of stops. You can almost hear them thinking "hell yeah, we gotta put a jam in here somewhere".

I like the show but think they could have picked a stronger on for the Third vault release.

I have favorite eras of the band as well but don't like to limit my listening. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for a 15 minute Lovelight with Pig screaming at the top of his lungs (though at other times this suits me just fine) but prefer a nice boppin' Corrina from '93.

There was a lot of good/great music made beyond the early 80s and into the 90s. Stuff like Standing on the Moon, There Are Days, Broken Arrow, It's All Too Much, etc. were often very well done.

That 73/74 stuff is generally all good material. The "swing" aspect of the band was in full-force and the transitional material (China->Rider, WRS, etc.) was almost always gold.

I have favorite eras of the band as well but don't like to limit my listening. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for a 15 minute Lovelight with Pig screaming at the top of his lungs (though at other times this suits me just fine) but prefer a nice boppin' Corrina from '93.

There was a lot of good/great music made beyond the early 80s and into the 90s. Stuff like Standing on the Moon, There Are Days, Broken Arrow, It's All Too Much, etc. were often very well done.

That 73/74 stuff is generally all good material. The "swing" aspect of the band was in full-force and the transitional material (China->Rider, WRS, etc.) was almost always gold.

You are correct sir! (although I am ALWAYS up for a good 20 Plus minute Darkstar or Cryptical)

I do like some 80's and 90's stuff. Good songs like you mentioned. I just like the way they played back in the day rather than the 80-90's stuff. There are a lot of latter year shows (especially in the 90's) when they seemed to be mailing it in. Of course Jerry was all junked out and all but......

I agree, I don't really enjoy listening to anything past 1980, therefore almost don't ever, except on occassion I listen to bits of some of the shows I attended in the early 90's.

Later-period Dead is a mixed bag. Not that its necessarily all terrible or anything, but like you guys said, 9 times out of 10 I'll opt for something from those "golden years".

Its funny. I'm 30 years old and Jerry's been gone for well over a decade, and I'm only now becoming a serious fan. I went to one show back when I was younger (probably around '90), and I went mostly out of curiosity. The crowd was okay--some real nice people and some real asshats--and the music really didn't knock me over that particular night. Not really sure what prompted it, but its only been the last few years that I've gone back and really fallen in love with them. My collection of shows isn't huge yet and I'm trying to sample stuff from each era, but yeah, 80s and beyond isn't really my favorite.

Later-period Dead is a mixed bag. Not that its necessarily all terrible or anything, but like you guys said, 9 times out of 10 I'll opt for something from those "golden years".

Its funny. I'm 30 years old and Jerry's been gone for well over a decade, and I'm only now becoming a serious fan. I went to one show back when I was younger (probably around '90), and I went mostly out of curiosity. The crowd was okay--some real nice people and some real asshats--and the music really didn't knock me over that particular night. Not really sure what prompted it, but its only been the last few years that I've gone back and really fallen in love with them. My collection of shows isn't huge yet and I'm trying to sample stuff from each era, but yeah, 80s and beyond isn't really my favorite.

Tons of stuff out there for your perusal on the various torrent sites, also check out dead.net every Monday. They have a section there called tapers section and always have a lot of really tasty stuff there. (but you probably already know about this).

Can't go wrong with the various dick's picks either, fairly priced.

Tons of stuff out there for your perusal on the various torrent sites, also check out dead.net every Monday. They have a section there called tapers section and always have a lot of really tasty stuff there. (but you probably already know about this).

Can't go wrong with the various dick's picks either, fairly priced.

I'll add that Live Archives (http://www.archive.org/details/audio) has around 2800 Dead shows you can listen to. The sbds are now only available for streaming but you can download the aud. recordings. There is a lot of material, obviously.

After the "Golden" '72-'74 period I must say that '79- about '83 is my other favorite stuff. Maybe not as consistently strong but there's no doubt that bringing Brent in rejuvenated the band. Jerry was in a real bad way but sometimes he would get so far out that there were new directions being mapped out in the jams.

The sad part is ( I know you all know this already) that there is not a whole lot from Brent's first few years in the vault. Not alot of care was being taken at the time...until Dick showed up in '84 or so & got the shit together.

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of Latvala. :stunned

In related news, I bought that Steve Parish book for 6 bucks the other day - it's worse than the Rock Skully book. They (Barnes and Noble) also had the Phil Lesh book for 6 bucks - I think it is a crap book also.

In related news, I bought that Steve Parish book for 6 bucks the other day - it's worse than the Rock Skully book. They (Barnes and Noble) also had the Phil Lesh book for 6 bucks - I think it is a crap book also.

I've read all three, too. Pretty poorly written and good for a few decent stories. They won't be receiving Pulitzers. I had Phil sign his book for me at a signing when it first came out, so that one's a keeper.

BTW, I've heard P&F are playing the Sweetwater in San Fran this Sunday night....

I'll add that Live Archives (http://www.archive.org/details/audio) has around 2800 Dead shows you can listen to. The sbds are now only available for streaming but you can download the aud. recordings. There is a lot of material, obviously.
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I started really collecting shows around about the same time the SBDs got yanked from archive.org. Doh! :hmm Still lots of good stuff to listen to there as long as you don't mind being tied to a computer while listening. In addition to having a bunch of the studio records (most of which I rarely listen to anymore) the only "official" live releases I've collected over the years are:Live/DeadEurope '72Hundred Year HallWithout a NetThus far I've not even yet ventured into the DP or Vault releases, but have collected a fair number of traded recordings. One of these days when I have some spare cash (ha!) I do want to pick a few choice DP's and check out for the better audio quality.
They (Barnes and Noble) also had the Phil Lesh book for 6 bucks - I think it is a crap book also.
I got Phil's book here for a couple bucks at a used book store. It's okay, but not really worth much more than the few bucks I paid for it.
I don't have much Dead on my ipod but almost all of it is different versions of Dark Star from 1968-1970

Nice! :thumbup