New Grateful Dead Release

I've said this on the board before, I think, but I am a definite fan of the early '80s incarnation of the Dead. I saw almost all my Dead shows between '82 and '84, and they just smoked. There were ups and downs in most all the shows, but there were a lot of moments when "the music played the band" too.

That being said, it's hard to beat the '72 to '74 run. They played some clunkers then, too, but boy did they ever hit a lot of home runs. I think the Chinacat>Rider from Europe '72 is a high point in the history of recorded music in general, not just the Dead's history.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus you get to hear Jerry sing a Smokey Robinson song.

Yeah, that's pretty cool! Thanks for the tip on this one. I got this last night--I've only listened to the first disc and a half, but I love it. The sound is amazing--I think this is probably the best-sounding recording I've heard. At first I kinda wished "Bertha" and "Beat It On Down the Line" were just a bit more uptempo, but ahh, when it sounds this good I've got no place to complain. Thanks!

I have actually bought that twice - the first one I had was "borrowed" for several months - so I bought another one. I rather like the version of Bird Song on that disc.

Yeah, the Bird Song is very different sounding. It was pretty new at this point, correct? I love hearing songs evolve. I recently dl'd a show from '74 with the first "It Must Have Been the Roses" and it was interesting to hear it before it was real polished. I like stuff like that that makes you hear songs in a different way.

You and me both.

I don't have much Dead on my ipod but almost all of it is different versions of Dark Star from 1968-1970

some good stuff there. I love how that song is never the same....good version to check out is the Darkstar from the Rockin' The Rhine CD......Darkstar > Me And My Uncle > Darkstar sounds weird but it works

Yeah, the Bird Song is very different sounding. It was pretty new at this point, correct? I love hearing songs evolve. I recently dl'd a show from '74 with the first "It Must Have Been the Roses" and it was interesting to hear it before it was real polished. I like stuff like that that makes you hear songs in a different way.

The Bird Song on that is fairly new, if you want to hear the first ever version of that song it's on the Vault Three disc that prompted this thread 2-19-71.

good version to check out is the Darkstar from the Rockin' The Rhine CD......Darkstar > Me And My Uncle > Darkstar sounds weird but it works

That does sound like a weird combo, but I'd like to hear it.

Has anyone heard that Grayfolded cd compiled from a bunch of version of Dark Star? Is that any good? The concept sounds interesting enough...

That does sound like a weird combo, but I'd like to hear it.

Has anyone heard that Grayfolded cd compiled from a bunch of version of Dark Star? Is that any good? The concept sounds interesting enough...

yeah it's pretty good. Not to everyone's taste though, but I like it.