I'm not sure I'm kidding, and I'm not sure it matters.

Thats probably the easiest way to define them along with the numerous other bands with a similar image and sound at the same time. You can call it whatever you want, it doesn't change anything. It's for categorizing purposes.

I just don't think they had that much of a similar look/image to glam metal bands, is all. Sure Duff used a little hairspray, but they definitely weren't glammed up, and they rocked a bit more than glam/hair metal bands. Compare "Mr. Brownstone" with, say "Kickstart My Heart."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not consider GnR to be glam metal at all.....when they came out, they seemed like the antithesis of glam. Duff may have used hairspray, but hell, he used to be in The Fartz. Gives him some cred.

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php?band=fartz

I liked (and still do like) Appetite for Destruction - though some of their later stuff was pretty bleh. I was never into metal, but damn I loved that album. Most of the punk kids I grew up with were into it.

They were pretty influenced, especially in the beginning, by the New York Dolls.

and even more so by Hanoi Rocks. Don't kid yourself into thinking they didn't lean on that look a lot from the jump off:

09.jpg

gnr01.jpg

I remember hearing gnere tages like glam punk or glitter punk...as they had a lot of that in their sound ala Iggy too.

This is a metal thread, missy. Men only.

Ummm, God damn...for the THIRD time...I am NO man...oiy!!!

I do not consider GnR to be glam metal at all.....when they came out, they seemed like the antithesis of glam. Duff may have used hairspray, but hell, he used to be in The Fartz. Gives him some cred.

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php?band=fartz

I liked (and still do like) Appetite for Destruction - though some of their later stuff was pretty bleh. I was never into metal, but damn I loved that album. Most of the punk kids I grew up with were into it.

Think of GnR as glam like the New York Dolls vs. glam as, say, like Motley Crue or something. Slash and Izzy seemed to model a lot of their stuff off Johnny Thunders and the like (I'm not familiar with Hanoi Rocks other than knowing Vince Neil kinda killed their drummer that one time, so I can't really talk about their influence).

Think of GnR as glam like the New York Dolls vs. glam as, say, like Motley Crue or something. Slash and Izzy seemed to model a lot of their stuff off Johnny Thunders and the like (I'm not familiar with Hanoi Rocks other than knowing Vince Neil kinda killed their drummer that one time, so I can't really talk about their influence).

agreed.

When I think of glam metal - I think Poison, Pretty Boy Floyd, etc......oh my

I think GNR was about that look - but they moved away from it. I have always thought they were like a harder Stones/Faces. You can most certianly hear this in Izzy's first solo album anyway. Although there are a few (Metallica, Megadeth, and some others that stand out) - really, the British had the best metal.

of course Britain had the best metal bands. IMO, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are the hands down best metal bands, although Judas Priest's stuff since the 90's haven't been very good, and Iron Maiden's last two albums have owned.

The original G'n'R did an incredible job lifting all the best parts from more traditional rock bands like the Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith and Alice Cooper...AND more punk leanings from Iggy, The Dolls, Johnny T., etc.

...the first Poison record tried to do the same thing, but came up short in comparison.

I think GNR was about that look - but they moved away from it. I have always thought they were like a harder Stones/Faces. You can most certianly hear this in Izzy's first solo album anyway.

I've said it before, but I have much love for that first Izzy & the JuJu Hounds album. Good stuff.

Also, that band had Rick Richards from the Georgia Satellites on guitar. Aside from their one-hit-wonderdom with "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" in the mid-80s, the Satellites were a pretty great, gritty southern-rock band.

Anyone agree? (crickets) :unsure