New Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my oh my. Even though I have gathered about of third of these songs along the way, to have them all on vinyl, with one whole vinyl record being devoted to Trapeze Swinger is mind blowing.

I'm really looking forward to this. For me, Shephards Dog was one of the most disapointing releases in some time. I became such a huge fan and was right along with him through Women King and even the set with Calexico, but Shephard's Dog just didn't connect with me emotionally at all (with a few exceptions).

This is real treat, and another reason to keep on supporting Sub Pop.

oh my oh my. Even though I have gathered about of third of these songs along the way, to have them all on vinyl, with one whole vinyl record being devoted to Trapeze Swinger is mind blowing.

Also really thrilled about this!

For me, Shephards Dog was one of the most disapointing releases in some time. I became such a huge fan and was right along with him through Women King and even the set with Calexico, but Shephard's Dog just didn't connect with me emotionally at all (with a few exceptions).

No kidding? I really loved it, thought it was brilliant.

[quote name='tangara' date='Feb 13 2009, 12:43 PM' post='128027

No kidding? I really loved it, thought it was brilliant.

Yeah, It just felt distant to me. I got on board with Our Endless Numbered Days and then went backward then forward. Those records and Women King just really hit me hard. I never got that with Shephard's Dog. Maybe it was the production or too much dressing up. I felt like Woman King was about as far as I would like him to go with a full band sound, and I think the more going on musically it distracted from the lyrics and emotion. Some stuff musically adds to the overall feel (WILCO YHF) and other stuff just feels like studio fun time or dressing up an average looking girl (Shephard's Dog)

Huh, okay. Woman King is pretty damn fantastic. I just really liked what they did with the percussion and rhythmic elements on Shepherd's Dog; I felt like it had a really nice pulse. Maybe I'll give it another listen today...