New Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who needs a copy, PM me.

Anyways, I really really like this. It's almost psychedelic. I love how all the songs connect into each other. "Carousel" is kind of a surreal moment, to imagine that Iron & Wine also released "The Creek Drank The Cradle". It's cool to listen to the evolution of The Creek Drank The Cradle/The Sea and the Rhythm --> Our Endless Numbered Days --> Woman King --> The Shepherd's Dog.

I do like it but at times I think there is almost too much going on. I personally miss the sparce sound he used to have.

I really think the guy can do no wrong though. I just love his overall sound.

I've not been a fan of Iron & Wine... they just pass me buy... am I missing something? Should I give 'em another try?

Yes. And go in this order:

The Creek Drank The Cradle> Our Endless Numbered Days --> Woman King --> The Shepherd's Dog.

OEND was a "grower" for me (I didn't really start to love it until April of this year, at which point I listened to it for about two weeks straight) so I would expect this to seep into my head in a similar fashion. I had heard quite a few of these tracks on a live show earlier this year, though. I really like "Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car" and "Lovesong of the Buzzard".

Sam Beam is pretty terrific, whispering and all. Even though I do miss the lo-fi sound, it wasn't perfect for him like it is/was for Will Oldham. He seems to be following the same career path and Bonnie, though, beard and all.

People always seem to want Sam to go back to the lo-fi sound. I think doing that would be a big mistake, he made those 4-track demos cause all he had was a 4-track, doing it now would be gimmicky. However, I remember an Iron & Wine site I use to go to had an interview with Sam, where people e-mailed in questions and Sam answered them, and someone (I think it might have been me, actually) asked if he's ever going to release a box set of all his unreleased 4-track demos and he seemed interested in it... soo, here's hoping.

Anyways, this album has a great flow. I love how all the songs bleed into each other.

I've not been a fan of Iron & Wine... they just pass me buy... am I missing something? Should I give 'em another try?
Our Endless Numbered Days

Or maybe just try this one first.

;)

I don't know what is about Iron and Wine. Except for "Endless Numbered Days," I listen to the stuff once, say "that's really good" and then never listen to it again. I'm not sure this new one will meet that fate. There are a couple songs on there that really stand out and deserve repeated listening.

I'm finally listening to this for the first time today, even though I grabbed it days ago. Wow, this is a fantastic record so far. I haven't heard anything even approaching a dud yet.

"Resurrection Fern" is blowing my mind at the moment. This may be my favorite track yet, though it's really hard to choose. :)

I totally sent this to like half the board. I hope you all buy it or Sam won't be able to send his kids to school and I'll feel bad!