The other one is at 666 posts, so I think it's time to start a new one.

All I know about baseball is this: sports tourists seem even more inclined than other tourists to stop in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture of apparently nothing at all, and to be completely befuddled by our public transportation.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing a story on the guy who put together this exhibit:

http://www.mcny.org/exhibitions/current/565.html

That looks like a pretty cool exhibit. After the interview, kick him in the NYY-lovin' crotch for me.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the "Bronx is burning" or whatever it's called mini-series beginning tonight on espn.

The guy in question actually is a Mets fan.

In that case, kick him twice.

Oh, now. We only effed you once. How many times have you been effed by the Yanks?

Untrue. You also now know who HacMan is.

(Our brother bumped into him on the street yesterday.)

!!!!!!! :w00t :w00t :w00t

Jeffrey "don't call me Jeff" Leonard.

ahh, the sweet days of The 'Stick. :wub

I remember that guy.

Anybody else catch the HBO miniseries "The Bronx is Burning" last night? Pretty decent. John Turturro does a pretty good Billy Martin, as does the cat playing Reggie. They also went all-out finding guys/doing make-up to make Thurman and Yogi look and sound uncannily real. The Jimmy Breslin actor was spot on, too.

I'm liking the quality of it so far.

When I think of Barry Bonds I think of how much people must've hated Shoeless Joe. Granted, he was a nice, beloved individual before the scandal, but time has certainly made him and his actions more palatable. I wonder if somebody will make a fantasy movie in 80 years that has Bonds stepping out of a cornfield to play catch.

The Gammons interview with Bonds last night was painful to watch. He certainly had some prepared statements to make and it would have been okay if he hadn't prated on about how he shouldn't be judged by third parties for several minutes.

Simply put, he's a guy who refuses to face evidence that he's done what he's done and dismisses it by continuously side-stepping the truth in hopes that he can come across as misunderstood. His veneer is rice paper thin.

without getting this thread into 50 pages of Bond opinions, I love how he has talked himself into believing that he did nothing.

Precisely. I used to use the same tactics as a kid: if I tried really hard to believe I didn't do it, well then, I didn't do it.

without getting this thread into 50 pages of Bond opinions, I love how he has talked himself into believing that he did nothing.

Well, we've got another couple of days before the games start up again... :monkey

Bonds is probably like O.J. in that way.

When I think of Barry Bonds I think of how much people must've hated Shoeless Joe. Granted, time has certainly made him and his actions more palatable

Which actions were those? The .375 average in the 1919 World Series, or his error-free play in the field?

(Or were you referring to Bonds?)

Which actions were those? The .375 average in the 1919 World Series, or his error-free play in the field?

(Or were you referring to Bonds?)

I meant Joe: knowing about the fix/"betraying" baseball.