I have a buddy who is moving to San Diego next month. He and his new wife are heading out there with no jobs and no knowledge of the town. Does anyone know of good neighborhoods to live in San Diego? They are not rich by any means, but they don't want to live in a sketchy area either. Any help is appreciated. :cheekkiss

No job? No idea where to live? I'd be tentative on the move, but that's me.

I don't know where they are moving from and what cost of living index they're used to, but San Diego (which of course in German means "a whale's vagina") isn't cheap. Unless they have some decent money saved up they shouldn't expect to be living on/near the water. Average apartments go for around $1300/mo. in San Diego, in general. There are affordable neighborhoods but they need to search. Basically, the further from the beach, the better the deal.

OCEAN BEACH.

It's just a bit "sketch", but you won't find a more hip, odd, chill, cheap, lovable neighborhood in San Diego. I lived there for most of the two years I was in San Diego, and wouldn't take back a second of it for time in another neighborhood. Other cool 'hoods include Hillcrest (clean, gay, cool), North Park (a bit college-y), and Pacific Beach (part-tay with teh blondes and boobies).

Good point - I had a ladyfriend to pay for half the rent, which was $1200/month for a one bedroom, four blocks from the beach. Aside from rent though, cost of living in OB was pretty low, thanks to yard sales and $2 Bombay G&Ts at Pacific Shores bar.

Full disclosure: we headed out there with no jobs or job prospects, but had some padding - we crashed with her aunt and uncle in Encinitas for two months to start out...

i was born and raised san diego and lived there for 23 years. rent and home prices are insane.

good neighborhoods? i would stay away from most areas in the south county, they are either too hot or dangerous. from what i can tell, though, el cajon would be give better rental prices, is fairly close to the city and is an okay area. i am from north county- san marcos- where you can find decent neighborhoods as well... san marcos is undergoing a revival and is a nice place to live, escondido, oceanside, vista all have skethcy areas but also have nice middle income neighborhoods. of course the ideal is del mar, carlsbad, and la jolla but if he doesn't have a lot of money, he can forget it. SOME areas of encinitas have little run down surfer neighborhoods- i have no idea how much but it would probably suck.

san diego is a large area and there are 4 microclimates (beach, inland, mountain, desert) so there are soooo many choices. if i HAD to move back, i would try to find a place in san marcos, probably. but i wouldn't move back.

i was born and raised san diego and lived there for 23 years. rent and home prices are insane.

good neighborhoods? i would stay away from most areas in the south county, they are either too hot or dangerous. from what i can tell, though, el cajon would be give better rental prices, is fairly close to the city and is an okay area. i am from north county- san marcos- where you can find decent neighborhoods as well... san marcos is undergoing a revival and is a nice place to live, escondido, oceanside, vista all have skethcy areas but also have nice middle income neighborhoods. of course the ideal is del mar, carlsbad, and la jolla but if he doesn't have a lot of money, he can forget it. SOME areas of encinitas have little run down surfer neighborhoods- i have no idea how much but it would probably suck.

san diego is a large area and there are 4 microclimates (beach, inland, mountain, desert) so there are soooo many choices. if i HAD to move back, i would try to find a place in san marcos, probably. but i wouldn't move back.

You spelled OB wrong. :D

My lady friend and I are moving out in October, and have similar questions. I'll have a place to stay for about six months in Coronado ;) and then I'm on my own for probably a few years, then back to Coronado for a few more years. For jobs, I'm probably going to check out these guys after I get there: http://www.astarstaffing.com/MovingToSD.htm

I have a great friend in Cardiff-By-The-Sea. Yes that is the actual name of the place. Hyphens and all. Nice area.

Stay away from Oceanside.

I have a great friend in Cardiff-By-The-Sea. Yes that is the actual name of the place. Hyphens and all. Nice area.

Stay away from Oceanside.

I have stayed the night in Carmel-By-The-Sea. But its in northern California so its not relevant to this discussion at all!

P.S. I love San Diego.

oceanside is big. there are good and bad parts. I have friends that live there and i was born there. there are sketchy areas but certainly nice places too. you just have to know where to go.

cardiff by the sea is $$$$$. its right next to del mar and is not a place a middle inclome person can live, most likely. it sure is pretty, though.

cardiff by the sea is $$$$$. its right next to del mar and is not a place a middle inclome person can live, most likely. it sure is pretty, though.

my friend is a teacher and has a decent apartment there. He's middle class. To own a house in Southern California is impossible for middle class!

North County - Encinitas

My brother and his wife live there and I wish I did. It's such a mellow little coastal town with plenty of good restaurants, beaches and even a great record shop (Lou's). I would move there in a heartbeat if I had the money and a job down that way. Also, my best friend and his wife live in San Marcos and they love it there but I'd prefer to live a little closer to the Ocean.

Encinitas is indeed great - fantastic old movie theater, the aforementioned Lou's, Java Hut/Panniken coffee.

The coastal part anyway...move inward, and you got ‘little boxes, little boxes … they’re all made out of ticky-tack’.