I thought this might be a good place to throw out this question.

My 13 year old, Emily, (unlike mom) has never been an avid reader - but does read from time to time. There were series' that she liked when she was younger, but now that she is a bit older I am having a little more difficulty trying to pick out books for her to read. I just spent 30 min in the Young Adult section of Borders looking for a book to pick up for her. It seems 95% of books for teenage girls are totally centered around pining for boys. And honestly, while I know this is a big part of teenagedom, I have to admit that I find it somewhat disconcerting.

I was wondering if you all might have some good recommendations for books that would appeal to a 13 year old girl - that encourage independence, strength, adventure, etc. I know of some classics that would fit into this - but was hoping to get some more recommendations. Even books marketed for adults, that you would find appropriate for a 13 year old, would be welcome suggestions. I did see Life of Pi on the Young Adult shelf......I do have that one, though I haven't read it.

Help a struggling mom out!! :)

p.s....she has no interest in Harry Potter - so, no need to go there :P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick up The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart, she might like that one.

Carson Ellis does the illustrations.

Also, The Invention Of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick was good too. It's a thick book but Austin read it in about a day and a half because most of it is illustrations.

Would she get into something like Nancy Drew books seeing as how the movie is out now?

Kevin :P She did the Judy Blume thing a few years ago.

Christy, thanks for the recommendations - I was hoping you would chime in. That Benedict Society one looks promising......

I am not sure she would care for Nancy Drew. I will look up the Selznick one.

I don't know if these are any good or not:

Minx is an imprint of DC Comics that publishes graphic novels aimed at teenage girls. It was announced in November 2006, following several years of planning

Initial online reaction to the imprint was a combination of optimism and skepticism, with some controversy over the sexual connotations of the name as well as the small proportion of female creators in the initial lineup, especially due to an emphasis on female creators in the New York Times article that broke the story.

http://www.dccomics.com/minx/

I picked her up The Diary of Anne Frank, as she has never read that - as well as another one that looked promising. I can't remember the name now.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a classic for teenage girls.

And Kate, have you ever seen Judy Blume's young adult stuff? Deenie is the one that first comes to mind, but I remember reading a bunch of her books as a teenager (I mean, even besides Forever :monkey ). Although, if I was reading them then, I don't know how dated they'll seem now...

Tiger Eyes was another of her good ones.

And Jen, I also read the Sweet Valley High stuff. Yikes!

Edit: I forgot to mention my favorite scene in any of the Sweet Valley High books: when the beautiful deaf girl gets pressured into trying coke, and dies. In a Sweet Valley High book! Totally unexpected!!!

my favorite living author does young adult fiction. jostein gaarder's SOPHIE'S WORLD is pretty neat, but kinda textbookish at times. the solitaire mystery, the ringmaster's daughter or any of his other books would come recommended.

When finding books for Sarah to read, we tend to gravitate towards National Book Award winners.

A recent list can be found here, and you can google for more titles as well. Sarah's favorite book from last year was Dancing On the Edge by Han Nolan.

Something I learned while encouraging Sarah to read, is insisting that she read for a specific amount of time every night. Not negotiable. I wanted her habituated to reading. Also, I was conscious of allowing her to find her own way about what she wanted to read, not what I thought she should read. As much as I would have liked her to read Nancy Drew, she had no interest, and read the Lemony Snicket series instead. And as avid a reader as I was, The Diary of Anne Frank held absolutely no interest for me until I was an adult.

We do visit the library once a week during the summer to replenish.

And for edgy, non readers, graphic novels like Kris suggested are sometimes the perfect segueway into other, meatier reading.

I love this book

Places I Never Meant To Be: Original Stories by Censored Writers

and any time I pick it up, I'm reminded of some of the young-adult authors whose books I read and loved. Some of my favorites:

Norma Klein

Norma Fox Mazer

Paul Zindel

Like the Judy Blume young adult books, I can't guarantee that these wouldn't seem terribly dated to a girl Emily's age, but oh, I ate these up when I was in junior high.

Here are a couple that I recall:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn -- cannot recommend this enough

The Black Stallion series -- if she likes horses

Laura Ingalls Wilder series -- I loved these, though they may not appeal to her

Phantom Tollbooth -- great too