So anyone hear into much jazz?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"big ears"

My jazz fanship is limited to mostly the tried-and-true giants like Miles (rebirth of cool, jack johnson, bitches brew), and Coltrane (giant steps, om, love supreme), but I've got a few others that I love. Keith Jarrett's K

And if so what are some of your favorites....

I've been listening to the riverside sessions with Coltrane and Monk...

Pretty cool stuff.

:wave

Always. My favorite is the Vandermark 5 but there are tons of others.

Some "classic" faves of mine:

Very Tall Oscar Peterson and Milt Jackson

Monk's Music Thelonious Monk

Ring Gary Burton and Eberhard Weber

Collaboration Modern Jazz Quartet with Laurindo Almeida

Chet Baker Meets Stan Getz Chet Baker and Stan Getz (duh!)

Yes.

Love late period Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Andrew Hill, Miles (now and again), Chicago Underground Duo, Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy, Herbie Hancock, etc.

Lots of great stuff out there. I took a short class this year with the jazz critic Gary Giddens (he worked for the Village Voice for 30 years) and I would highly recommend his book "Visions of Jazz" to anyone with even the slightest interest in the genre, it's a great piece of work.

Have you heard much medeski, martin and wood?

I have, and if you like them I would look in to checking out a band called Happy Apple. They are from the twin cities and play what I call "alt-rock" jazz.

It kicks a lot of ass

I have, and if you like them I would look in to checking out a band called Happy Apple. They are from the twin cities and play what I call "alt-rock" jazz.

It kicks a lot of ass

Happy Apple is great, especially live. :thumbup

Their drummer is also the drummer for the Bad Plus, in case anyone knows them better.

For anyone in the Twin Cities I also highly recommend the Phil Hey Quartet (they play regularly at the Artist's Quarter). I know the vibes player personally, so maybe that colors my opinion a little, but Phil was named the twin-cities jazz musician of the year last year, and is a phenomenal drummer. Check it out.

I can't get into them, although I think that's more my fault than theirs

I'm with you here. Although Medeski and Martin have done some nice stuff with John Scofield that I like quite a bit.

I like Sonny Sharrock and Rahsaan Roland Kirk quite a bit. I tend towards the more modern jazz of Pat Metheny and Chick Corea, too.

Thelonious Monk is a genius that deserves a close listen by keen-eared music lovers and especially musicians. Total stream-of-consciousness, playful melodies just spilled out of the man's fingers. His jittery, quirky timing and phrasing are something to behold as well. I love how he'd start his solos by re-stating the head melody, and then start gradually fracturing the notes, slurring the beat, generally treating his impressive harmonic structures like Pollock would treat a canvas.

Miles is the master- I especially love the electric stuff like Tribute to Jack Johnson, In a Silent Way, and of course, Bitches Brew. Sinister, ethereal, groundbreaking stuff- lots of parallels between late 60's Miles and the Grateful Dead's contemporaneous work.

Mingus, 'Trane, and Herbie Hancock all deserve a mention too...

As far as current jazz goes, guitarist Bill Frisell is my artist of choice, although "jazz" doesn't adequately describe what he does. Think Willie Nelson, Sonic Youth, King Crimson, the Black Keys, John Scofield (another modern-day jazz titan).... lots of lyrical, crystalline, even soothing (but not smooth jazz) sounds contrasting with wild, effects-saturated, looped freak-outs depending on his mood or album. Give Unspeakable or Gone, Just Like a Train a listen. He makes a very few notes sound very big and very important.

As far as current jazz goes, guitarist Bill Frisell is my artist of choice, although "jazz" doesn't adequately describe what he does. Think Willie Nelson, Sonic Youth, King Crimson, the Black Keys, John Scofield (another modern-day jazz titan).... lots of lyrical, crystalline, even soothing (but not smooth jazz) sounds contrasting with wild, effects-saturated, looped freak-outs depending on his mood or album. Give Unspeakable or Gone, Just Like a Train a listen. He makes a very few notes sound very big and very important.

:thumbup

Completely amazing guitarist in every way ...

The older I get, the more I find myself gravitating toward jazz over rock. For years, almost all of my rather large music collection was rock, with a bit of folk and blues, but the jazz section is now the second largest component.

I'm a big Coltrane fan, though I much prefer the middle period (from about '60-'64), and I love Miles too, of course. Big props also to many of the great sidemen from that period, a good number of whom were fine bandleaders in their own right. I'm thinking especially of Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Bud Powell, Cannonball Adderley, Grant Green, McCoy Tyner and Jackie McLean.

I can also recommend Mingus, Monk, Charlie Parker, Zoot Sims, Artie Shaw, Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Kenton, Oscar Peterson, Tony Williams and Horace Silver, along with a few lesser known people like Fats Navarro and Oliver Nelson.

Though not as much a priority, I'm also a fan of some of the great female jazz vocalists (the men, not so much). Billie Holiday should be in everybody's collection, and if I'm in a certain kind of mood, I'll put on some Nina Simone. A completely different kind of mood will make me want to listen to Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day, or Abbey Lincoln.

Jazz is such an inadequate word to encompass the vast universe of compositions and players that get listed within that category, and people like Miles and Chick Corea really blurred the lines even further. All I can say is that it's something that's become much more of interest to me in the recent past, and I'm glad it's a good place for me to explore, as I find the current indie rock scene pretty uninteresting, and the mainstream rock scene an absolute desert.