Which Rap era stands as the best?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to el's words, the ice cube solo efforts started out perfect, the first 3, hell even 4 were all good for me.

oh snap, have we given any love to the Souls of Mischief, I still bump this album

B000000506.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

which paved the way into the Heiroglyphics

this peeps need to have if they don't

B000006CI9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and while we're at it, a sub division dedicated to DEL THA FUNKY HOMOSAPIEN, who we can credit some of the success of the first ice cube efforts, cause he wrote a lot for cube back in the day

and I don't think we've mentioned EPMD, or may we all me smacked down, and less we forget, The PHARCYDE? 1st two are must owns. It NEVER SToPS!!!!

Um, so I just happened to be talking about flavor flav at work because someone brought up the comedy central roast. Six different people had no idea that Flavor Flav was in a band called Public Enemy before reality tv. People in the 24-34 age range.

Somebody hold me.

I dont know if I can pick one era that stands as the best among hiphop, both have artists I like.

However I would like to nominate outkast for having the best albums in the 93 and beyond time. I love every record they put out and everything up to stankonia is a stone cold classic in my opnion.

Um, so I just happened to be talking about flavor flav at work because someone brought up the comedy central roast. Six different people had no idea that Flavor Flav was in a band called Public Enemy before reality tv. People in the 24-34 age range.

Somebody hold me.

crying_indian.jpg

wow, that really is fucked up. about as fucked up as...

are_we_there_yet.jpg main.jpg

There is no substitute for The Bomb Squad.

On a related note, this is something I've been struggling with a for a while, mostly because I've been listening to a lot of Common lately.

Sometimes I have a hard time reconciling the fact that I love hip hop and the fact that numerous hip hop artists seem to not think too kindly of me (or more precisely, the group of people I happen to have been born into).

In most forms of music, it's not too hard to seperate what a singer says and what he actually feels, because most of the time, it isn't autobiographical, but with hip hop, it's not the same thing. When Kanye says "and the white man gets paid off of all of that", it's pretty obvious that it's his feelings. So how should I, as a white hip hop fan, react to lyrics like that. I don't really have a problem with it, but it does make me feel a little bit awkward when the person who is making music I appreciate and enjoy says things against me.

I know it's not a big deal, and I'm not going to stop listening to their music, but it's always made me feel a little awkward when listening to certain songs and artists. Does anyone else feel this way? Probably not, as it's pretty stupid.

i don't think kanye really hates each and every white person...especially the gaggles of them buying his album. really though, if this artist doesn't know me personally...i just chalk it up to a generalization towards the subsets of white america that are legitimately holding those of color down.