Which Rap era stands as the best?

Yeah, but ATCQ gets lucky with that dating. They made just about 100% nothing after Marauders.

I don't think it's that unusual for a "rap legend" to only have one significant record. NWA and Fugees come to mind.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I think some pretty good hip hop came out after 97, though obviously not as many. But still, Eminem's first two albums are pretty damn great, Like Water For Chocolate is a pretty awesome album, Kanye's released a couple of great albums, not to mention Outkast.

b to the b, you know plenty...i'm not challenging your favorites or knowledge of the game, but as stated illmatic constanty get's handed that title by critics, etc. and i was just saying i don't get it. definitely up there for me too, may be even top 10...but i think if pressed, i could come up w/ others to top it.

tribe got a little too r&b for me, but they did stay relveant for a lot longer than their fellow native tongue posse. also, i thought de la had some great stuff on bullhoone mindstate and then kind of lost it after dissolving the relation ship w/ producer prince paul.

while there may only be two classic NWA records, you almost have to include the early solo cube and eazy albums w/ them as a collective body of work.

okay...now i'm switching my youtube from van halen to ozzy to cube's 'jackin for beats'. WTF?!

b to the b, you know plenty...i'm not challenging your favorites or knowledge of the game, but as stated illmatic constanty get's handed that title by critics, etc. and i was just saying i don't get it. definitely up there for me too, may be even top 10...but i think if pressed, i could come up w/ others to top it.

from the same era:

The Main Ingredient - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth

A Prince Among Thieves - Prince Paul

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu Tang Clan

Black Star - Black Star

Illadelph Halflife - the Roots

One Day It'll All Make Sense - Common

Ready to Die - The Notorious B.I.G.

Project: Funk da World - Craig Mack

War Zone - Black Moon

Foundation - Brand Nubian

(sorry, never got into Nas after he dropped "Nasty" from his name)

from the same era: The Main Ingredient - Pete Rock & C.L. SmoothA Prince Among Thieves - Prince PaulEnter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu Tang ClanBlack Star - Black StarIlladelph Halflife - the RootsOne Day It'll All Make Sense - CommonReady to Die - The Notorious B.I.G.Project: Funk da World - Craig MackWar Zone - Black MoonFoundation - Brand Nubian
oh yeah, tully. there are some great albums during 93-97, some i'd put into my top 20. can't deny any of these periods for bringing about some great music.
Run DMC alone is proof of this
Truth.
i have the sugar hill cuts i like, but never felt compelled to get that full collection. no denying there were some classic jams before 88 as well.

Yeah! I agree. I think you can only get some of the West Street Mob (which is what I want) and some others on this set now. I think most of that stuff is out of print unless you buy a used copy from what I just saaw on Amazon.

Yeah! I agree. I think you can only get some of the West Street Mob (which is what I want) and some others on this set now. I think most of that stuff is out of print unless you buy a used copy from what I just saaw on Amazon.

the joy of purchasing individual tracks via iTunes and/or file-sharing.

the joy of purchasing individual tracks via iTunes and/or file-sharing.

Good thought. iTunes has fallen out of favor with me recently for matters I won't go into. I'll plink out the bling for it. I like having the cds anyway.

here are some absolute musts, that I consider off the beaten path YAY!

B000025MRQ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

i love this album, defintaly seek it out

fxb9a7gxpbky4h86.jpg

a little dated, but was cool need to listen again (disposable Heroes of Hypocracy)

41NDV7KGHSL._AA240_.jpg

classic earliers 90's sound, still holds up

066f224128a0c9b5d7a66010._AA240_.L.jpg

one of my favorite current mc's, where it all begin

Aesop_rock_float.jpg

sorry won't let me posts any more pics.

gone before his time, but hot damn this is a good stuff

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000067C...SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

never deny the power of KMD

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products...ood~~~_101b.jpg

the birth of el-p

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/616Y...MVL._AA240_.jpg

kool keith & dan "the automater" (a bit obvious)

http://static.last.fm/coverart/300x300/2024762.jpg

I still bump this, "Top Billin'" is essential hip hop

http://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/...f44784uetqz.jpg

Gangsta, gangsta at the top of the list, far better than one might think

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000W...SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

more to come later . . . let me check the crates

This thread is crazy. It is really bringing bringing back some memories of when I was a punk baggy jean and Tommy Hilfiger wearing, Old E drinking teenager.

I agree, particularly about Pete Rock. I always thought he put together (I never thought I would type these words) some of the best beats ever. I loved "The Main Ingredient," and was ridiculed for it. For whatever reason, these guys lacked street cred. I think maybe CL rapped too much about love and relationships. With the exception of that Method Man and Mary J. Blige duet, the hip hop kids never embraced this as a subject matter.