-2-

[Em7]
-0-
-3-
-0-
-0-
-2-
-0-
When you play the D chord,  it's nice to hammer on the high E to get that 2 to 3 movement...see acoustic Panthers (Proving Death Again) for what I'm talking about...

[D]								 [D9sus6]
On and on and on we’ll stay together yeah
[Em7add#9]	   					[D]
On and on and on we’ll be together yeah
[Dmaj7]							 [D9sus6]
You and I will try to stay together yeah
[Em7add#9]									[D]

[Gmaj7]				  [D9sus4/F#]
Please don’t cry we’re designed to die
[Em7add#9]   [D]	[D7]
Don’t deny		what’s inside
[Gmaj7]							  [D9sus4/F#]
[Em7add#9]
On and on and on
[Em7add#9]
On and on and on

[Verse chords]
One day we’ll disappear together in a dream
However short or long our lives are going to be
I will live in you or you will live in me
Until we disappear together in a dream

[Chorus chords]
Please don’t cry we’re designed to die
You can’t deny even the gentlest tide
On and on and on
On and on and on
We’re going to try

[Em7] [D9sus4/F#] x2

[Chorus chords]
Please don’t cry
This world of words and meanings makes you feel
outside
Something that you feel already
deep inside
You’ve denied
Go ahead and cry

[Chorus chords]
On and on and on
On and on and on

[D]						   [D9sus6]
You and I will stay together yeah
[Amaj7add13add7]					  [D]
You and I will try to make it better yeah

That's it! :wave

That. Is. Awesome!

Capo 5.

Relevant chords:

[D]: [D9sus6]: [Dmaj7]: [D7]:

-2- -0- -2- -2-

-3- -0- -2- -1-

-2- -2- -2- -2-

-0- -0- -0- -0-

--- --- --- ---

--- --- --- ---

[Amaj7add13add7] (I don't know the legit name, if anyone can help? it's the Gun chord...hehe):

-2-

-3-

-0-

-2-

---

---

[Gmaj7]

-2-

-3-

-0-

-0-

-2-

---

[D9sus4/F#]

-0-

-3-

-0-

-0-

-0-

-2-

[Em7]

-0-

-3-

-0-

-0-

-2-

-0-

When you play the D chord, it's nice to hammer on the high E to get that 2 to 3 movement...see acoustic Panthers (Proving Death Again) for what I'm talking about...

[D] [D9sus6]

On and on and on we

:no

Maybe Jeff will see this and think "I have to play it acoustic now...someone's beat me at my own song!"

;)

If he ever does that would be amazing. The full band version is great, and I bawled like a baby in berkeley through the whole song. Solo acoustic would be even more lovely.

If he ever does that would be amazing. The full band version is great, and I bawled like a baby in berkeley through the whole song. Solo acoustic would be even more lovely.

on the other hand, a lot of us here kept harping on about the band should play Too far apart again, and look what happened :thumbup

when are we going to start the When you wake up feeling old/ Feed of man petition?

I think we should start a "dear wilco, please play these songs!!" thing... or maybe they will carry over the set list request thing to other shows...

On topic-- i actually think this tab sounds better open then capo 5, or maybe it's just my range...

sorry to piss on everyones parade, but theres no way the first chord is a d major - its this chord (some kinda diminished thing)

capo 5 still

e-2

b-2

g-0

then pulling off on the e to the open capo

a couple of the other chords sound wrong too......

sorry to piss on everyones parade, but theres no way the first chord is a d major - its this chord (some kinda diminished thing)

capo 5 still

e-2

b-2

g-0

It's not a full band version. It's how Tweedy would probably end up playing it acoustic - if he ever will.

• 1 month later...

capo 5 still

e-2

b-2

g-0

I've got Cmaj7#4 for that first chord . . . but then, I play it on piano so there's no capo obviously.

so my no capo version starts

Intro: Cmaj7#4 Cmaj7#4 Gmaj13 Gmaj13 x2

Cmaj7#4 Cmaj7#4 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

D9 D9 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

D9 D9 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

and on and on . . .

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm trying to figure it out on the piano (the band version)-can you tell me which inversion of the chords you are using-what's on top or what's on bottom, and do you have the rest of the song (like what happens in that instrumental bridge)? Thanks, John (I proposed to my wife trying to play that "accoustic" version but I'm still working on it!)

I've got Cmaj7#4 for that first chord . . . but then, I play it on piano so there's no capo obviously.

D9 D9 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

D9 D9 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

and on and on . . .

[Amaj7add13add7] (I don't know the legit name, if anyone can help?  it's the Gun chord...hehe):
-2-
-3-
-0-
-2-
---
---

I believe that's an Em9, or Am9 when played in the 5th position.

I haven't tried playing this song before so I will have to give these chords a spin :).

Hi, I'm trying to figure it out on the piano (the band version)-can you tell me which inversion of the chords you are using-what's on top or what's on bottom, and do you have the rest of the song (like what happens in that instrumental bridge)? Thanks, John (I proposed to my wife trying to play that "accoustic" version but I'm still working on it!)

hmmmm, I haven't played it in a while. I'll have to look at it again. (Actually haven't looked at this board in months.)

Anyway, I've got to get ready to play some Wilco at a wedding coming up, so might as well take another look at this while I'm at it. If I can remember it, and figure out a way to explain it . . . I'll see what I can do.

hmmmm, I haven't played it in a while. I'll have to look at it again. (Actually haven't looked at this board in months.)

Anyway, I've got to get ready to play some Wilco at a wedding coming up, so might as well take another look at this while I'm at it. If I can remember it, and figure out a way to explain it . . . I'll see what I can do.

Thank you-I need all the help I can get! John

Don't know if this has been answered but that Amaj7add13add7 (your second 7th there is redundant! you don't add a 7th :)) is, I believe, Em7add#9, kinda a jazzy chord. But I could be wrong.

Don't know if this has been answered but that Amaj7add13add7 (your second 7th there is redundant! you don't add a 7th :)) is, I believe, Em7add#9, kinda a jazzy chord. But I could be wrong.

Ah, yeah, it's actually been corrected by multiple people in this thread already, just haven't quite gotten around to correcting it, I suppose.

fixed now.

D9 D9 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

D9 D9 Gmaj13 Gmaj13

and on and on . . .

Don't think Wilco plays it like this, but I hope someone can build on this (I'll try too). Just noticed that the Cmaj7#4(or 11) from Impossible Germany sounds good on this:

x34000

This voicing doesn't sound right but for theoretical purposes a Gmaj13 is only a semitone away:

(3)24000

Just throwing it out there.